Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
devananne

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
Adventures with Yaris

So I wouldn't drive my previous car more than ~1 hour outside my city because it was so old and unreliable, I was afraid of breaking down without service. Now that I have a Yaris, I can't help but take it on a bunch of adventures! The gas mileage is amazing - my old car got about 17 mpg, so it's not too hard to beat, but I'm averaging about 37 (city/hwy) on the Yaris, and on road trips get 42-45. I plan to get a roof rack for the winter, as well as some mud flaps and a rear bumper protector - make it as adventure-proof as the little guy can be!

I've gotten in the habit of taking some photos of it while on these adventures.. thought I would share a few!

Here he is at the Tetons..

Camping in Yellowstone..

Nestled in some trees..

After an adventurous day in the desert..

And on some scenic road in Arizona..

I have a trip planned along the West Coast in the fall, so I'm looking forward to getting some by the ocean and in the Redwoods :)
devananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Coolness!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
gollygirl1

Drives: YR Yaris 2013
Way cool, just what we love to see - a Yaris in Action !!!!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
great pictures! it's almost like you took screenshots from a toyota commercial or something(but then toyota would had to do have done some actual ADVERTISING for the yaris - lol)!

the roof rack will definately add some more options to your adventures(bike, kayak, etc.), but be warned it will affect your mileage somewhat. i just installed a yakima rack on my echo and i've read here before it hurts smaller cars more than bigger ones. it's not really that big a deal, however, as the mileage is so good to begin with!

keep us updated with pics as you and the little guy have more adventures!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
devananne

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i just installed a yakima rack on my echo and i've read here before it hurts smaller cars more than bigger ones.
Have you been driving enough to notice how much it has affected it? I've heard it affects it as well, but I'm hoping it's just a few mpg and not from 37 down to 30 or so. I'm planning to get the "aerodynamic" bars from Thule, but I'm not sure how much that helps anyway.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
TerenceCruz

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Very nice! Lovin the color man.
TerenceCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by devananne View Post
Have you been driving enough to notice how much it has affected it? I've heard it affects it as well, but I'm hoping it's just a few mpg and not from 37 down to 30 or so. I'm planning to get the "aerodynamic" bars from Thule, but I'm not sure how much that helps anyway.
i think it's only a few mpg, but i'm not sure i don't drive my car very far each day and i don't own a scangauge so i can't give you any definate numbers. i've got the wind-deflector to cut down on the 'whistling' the bars made, but i've just got the regular 'round' bars and not aero ones.

obviously, i wouldn't keep a cargo box up there all the time! i do know these cars are tested extensively in wind tunnels to get the lowest coefficient of drag they can in a very competitive market. the slightest change to that 'forumula' can lead to noticeable decreases in fuel efficiency.

if you're just looking to haul bicycles or extra luggage i know they make hitch-mounted/trunk-mounted options. this would keep everything behind your car where it wouldn't affect aerodynamics so much! we have a hitch-mount bike carrier on the wife's yaris, but i wanted something for the echo that i could also take a canoe/kayak to the reservoir on. no other way to do that unless we bought a trailer and i don't have anywhere to store one of those.

Last edited by toad; 08-17-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
solarVitz

Drives: 08 Yaris S Liftback
Send a message via AIM to solarVitz Send a message via Yahoo to solarVitz
Nice pics. Must be fun going on adventures. I am going on a long road trips on my yaris soon and will be taking pics for sure.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
devananne

Update

I forgot to update my fall road trip adventure shots! The Yaris did fantastic over the ~3000 miles we covered. Here are some highlights:

Southern Utah (this was actually a separate trip, but still great)

San Francisco - I don't know how people that live there drive MT..

Somewhere along the Avenue of the Giants in the Redwood forests.

Oregon Coastline

And my personal favorite - Northern California vineyard in the fall. The lighting on this one hit just right..
Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If you are used to the AZ desert, yes, it would be very challenging driving MT on the California mountains..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, adventures, photos, traveling