Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
A/C Not Blowing Cold Air...among other things

UPDATE ON LAST POST: HELP!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem too. My car's A/C doesn't blow out cold air, the air it does blow out is neither warm nor too cold (but cooler than the air outside) and I know it should be blowing out air lot colder than it is because my brother's Scion XA's A/C blows freezing cold air and my girlfriend's 2000 Echo does too, but my 08 HB automatic doesn't. Do you guys have any idea why and what would need to be done to fix it? I've noticed too when I'm stepping on the brake with the A/C on and the fan is spinning but then stops, the brake pedal depresses more. Does that happen with anyone else?

ALSO, something that may be related to the A/C not blowing cold air, my engine overheating light turns on sometimes...so far twice, but only when I have the A/C on. The first time was on a fairly hot day, I had been driving for about 20 minutes with the A/C on and got stuck at a red light at the bottom of a steep hill so when I stepped hard on the gas to make it up the hill, the engine overheating light started flashing half way up the hill, but then stopped as soon as I turned the A/C off. I know cars overheat when you're climbing steep grades while you have the A/C on but I was only climbing that hill for no more than 3 minutes.

The second time it turned on happened yesterday. This time it was 100+ degrees outside and I was driving on the streets for 20-30 minutes in normal traffic with the A/C on. Again the engine overheating light started flashing, and again it stopped as soon as I turned the A/C off. This time I was concerned because I wasn't even going up hills or doing anything that would cause the engine to overheat. The only thing I could think of was the 100+ degree temperature outside, but is that enough to cause an engine to start to overheat?

FYI, my engine coolant level is fine, it's in the middle of the Full and Low mark.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by yarisitis; 06-29-2009 at 02:46 AM.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
sounds like either your cooling fan is not working or the thermostat is not opening properly
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Yeah. How many miles??
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It could be many things. One thing is certain, you should get it checked at the dealer.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
ALSO, something that may be related to the A/C not blowing cold air, my engine overheating light turns on sometimes...so far twice, but only when I have the A/C on. The first time was on a fairly hot day, I had been driving for about 20 minutes with the A/C on and got stuck at a red light at the bottom of a steep hill so when I stepped hard on the gas to make it up the hill, the engine overheating light started flashing half way up the hill, but then stopped as soon as I turned the A/C off. I know cars overheat when you're climbing steep grades while you have the A/C on but I was only climbing that hill for no more than 3 minutes.

The second time it turned on happened yesterday. This time it was 100+ degrees outside and I was driving on the streets for 20-30 minutes in normal traffic with the A/C on. Again the engine overheating light started flashing, and again it stopped as soon as I turned the A/C off. This time I was concerned because I wasn't even going up hills or doing anything that would cause the engine to overheat. The only thing I could think of was the 100+ degree temperature outside, but is that enough to cause an engine to start to overheat?
Neither of those should have overheated your engine, as someone else said, I'm guessing the thermostat is bad.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
toyo

Drives: toyota
holly shit be careful you might blow up your engine if you keep overheating it
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Take it in for warrantee work. If you don't like the dealer try a shop that specializes in Toyotas.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
yarisitis

I know the cooling fan is working because I can hear it turn on and off.

I'm not sure what the thermostat is, and what it does by opening and how it affects the A/C. Can you explain this to me?

Is there anything I should check for physically under the hood? I read somewhere that you can check a pipe coming from the A/C compressor while you have the car running with the A/C on and if you feel the pipe is cold then it should be working right, and if it's not cold then there might be a pressure or freon issue. Anyone know about this?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
I know the cooling fan is working because I can hear it turn on and off.

I'm not sure what the thermostat is, and what it does by opening and how it affects the A/C. Can you explain this to me?

Is there anything I should check for physically under the hood? I read somewhere that you can check a pipe coming from the A/C compressor while you have the car running with the A/C on and if you feel the pipe is cold then it should be working right, and if it's not cold then there might be a pressure or freon issue. Anyone know about this?
The thermostat is a circle that opens and closes in the upper radiator hose mount that goes into the block. When the engine is cold and the coolant is cold, it does not allow coolant to flow into the radiator. If your thermostat is mal-functioning then it won't open to allow the coolant to go through and be cooled and it overheats the engine. You could also have a bad water pump. Pull out the thermostat and re-connect the hose and see if it still overheats. If I were you'd I leave the thermostat out it provides better flow. Only downside is it will take longer to warm up in the winter but 4 bangers warm up quick anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
The thermostat is a circle that opens and closes in the upper radiator hose mount that goes into the block. When the engine is cold and the coolant is cold, it does not allow coolant to flow into the radiator. If your thermostat is mal-functioning then it won't open to allow the coolant to go through and be cooled and it overheats the engine. You could also have a bad water pump. Pull out the thermostat and re-connect the hose and see if it still overheats. If I were you'd I leave the thermostat out it provides better flow. Only downside is it will take longer to warm up in the winter but 4 bangers warm up quick anyway.
So this has nothing to do with the A/C not blowing cold air? Only the engine overheating?

Take this into consideration. I've driven from Los Angeles to northern California (300+ miles) non stop a couple of times already without the A/C on and had no problems with the engine overheating. The overheating light only comes on when I'm using the A/C.

I'm a little hesitant about disconnecting hoses and taking parts out but I'll have a look and try and see what you're talking about.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
PhilD424

Quote:
So this has nothing to do with the A/C not blowing cold air? Only the engine overheating?

Take this into consideration. I've driven from Los Angeles to northern California (300+ miles) non stop a couple of times already without the A/C on and had no problems with the engine overheating. The overheating light only comes on when I'm using the A/C.

I'm a little hesitant about disconnecting hoses and taking parts out but I'll have a look and try and see what you're talking about.
Well with that small engine the A/C Compressor puts alot of stress on the motor, but that should not cause it to overheat. You could have a faulty water pump. If this only happens when you put the A/C thats extremely weird and is not the thermostat. Best way to see if your overheating is to get a water temperature guage and install it yourself its very easy. Then you can see the difference between A/C and no A/C. Now for the A/C blowing out hot, are you driving while having it on or at a stand still?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
PhilD424

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
holly shit be careful you might blow up your engine if you keep overheating it
You can't blow it but if it happens enough times the engine could sieze.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
yarisitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
Well with that small engine the A/C Compressor puts alot of stress on the motor, but that should not cause it to overheat. You could have a faulty water pump. If this only happens when you put the A/C thats extremely weird and is not the thermostat. Best way to see if your overheating is to get a water temperature guage and install it yourself its very easy. Then you can see the difference between A/C and no A/C. Now for the A/C blowing out hot, are you driving while having it on or at a stand still?
Well the A/C doesn't blow out hot air, it blows out cool air but it's not really cold. The day before yesterday when the overheating light came on, I was driving on the street (100+ degrees) with the A/C on and it just happen to come on when I was at a red light.

I've driven on the freeway before with the A/C on in hot weather for 30+ minutes and the overheating light has never come on. It's only come on while driving on the streets.

So what does the water temperature gauge look like and where can I get one? Where exactly do I install it? Is there a way to tell myself if the water pump is faulty or will a mechanic have to diagnose it for me?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Well the A/C doesn't blow out hot air, it blows out cool air but it's not really cold. The day before yesterday when the overheating light came on, I was driving on the street (100+ degrees) with the A/C on and it just happen to come on when I was at a red light.

I've driven on the freeway before with the A/C on in hot weather for 30+ minutes and the overheating light has never come on. It's only come on while driving on the streets.

So what does the water temperature gauge look like and where can I get one? Where exactly do I install it? Is there a way to tell myself if the water pump is faulty or will a mechanic have to diagnose it for me?
just so you know, the 2 radiators share the same Dc fan that cool off your engine and the AC. AC would not be cold cold if it wasn't properly cooled.

Your car does not overheat when it's in motion, because there is enough air that goes through the radiator to keep the engine cooled to safe temperature.

As many stated, it might be the fan,the thermostat or the waterpump. Thought, if it was the waterpump, you'd overheat even in motion (ie, highway). So it could really only be the fan or the thermostat.

I suggest you taking your car to the dealer instead of trying to fix it youself.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
sbrooce
I've made a post!

Drives: hatch 007
Cool topping-up pink coolant

is it okay to top up the toyota/odenso pink coolant with prestone or whatnot? i mean, will there be smoke and fireworks, not, 'is it as good'.. and, is there a guide to adding and or draining the coolant? i'm new to this forum by the way..
sbrooce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It'll be OK to use normal coolants recommended for aluminum engines. Info's in your owner's manual.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
a jug of toyota pink coolant is not much more expensive than prestone. I wouldn't mix them.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #18
yarisitis

Okay, I had my brother look at my car and try to find out why it was overheating. First, we turned the car on AND the A/C to check if the fan would start spinning and it didn't. According to my brother the fan should start spinning when the A/C is turned on regardless if the engine is hot or cold.

Then we left the car on (parked in the driveway) turning the A/C on and off for a good while and waited to see if the fan would turn on after the engine got to operational temperature, it didn't. My brother determined that the thermostat and the water pump ARE working.

We then drove the car around for awhile with the A/C on full blast and then came back home and checked to see if the fan was on, it wasn't. We kept the car running and this time stepped on the accelerator some to make the engine work a little harder, assuming that this would definitely make the fan turn on. Well it didn't and it got to the point where the engine overheating light started flashing and still, the fan did not come on. I of course turned the car off as soon as the over heating light came on and we saw that the fan wasn't spinning.

So it actually is the fan that is not working. We checked the FAN No. 2 fuse in the engine bay and it's fine. So my brother thinks that it is most likely the sensor for the fan that is not working, hence the fan not working. What do you guys make of this?

Assuming that this is it, if I take it into the dealer how much do you guys think the total cost would be to fix something like this? FYI, my car is not under warranty....it's salvaged, so yeah I have to pay for this myself. My brother says that fixing the sensor shouldn't cost much but it's the labor that is going to be expensive. He said around $200-$250 (~$80 an hour for labor), what do you guys think?