Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Pothole from hell....

Hi fellow YarisWorlders....

I ran over a pothole from hell the other day, and am now paranoid whether I broke or bent something. Should I be looking anywhere or listening for anything that'd tell me whether something bent or broke? Friggin' cities will steal your money in the form of taxation, but they can't fix the friggin' roads....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I had a similar experience with uneven pavement on a freeway exit. It was more like a curb than just an uneven slab. I would have sworn I blew a tire and after further inspection, found a small blemish on each of my front rims where they actually kissed the edge. I had the car serviced shortly after as part of my regular scheduled maintenance. They didn't mention anything after doing the routine point inspection and the car drives fine so I think I'm okay, but it's always in the back of my mind. I actually looked into what city dept I'd make a claim with if something was damaged.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Should I be looking anywhere or listening for anything that'd tell me whether something bent or broke?
Other than a visual inspection of the rim for damage, I'm sure if anything were bent or broke, it would be immediately apparent in the feel of your steering.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
It is hard to diagnose an issue (if there even is one) without symptoms/complaints so if you do visual inspection and nothing is bent/broke/missing you are most likely OK
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
bairjo

I have a feeling we will be hearing about a lot more of these pot hole stories this year. Here in Ohio, it is a unusually bad year for pot holes. In a Yaris, they seem more like tank traps.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
With the big "melt" taking place this week here in New England, I reminded my niece to try to avoid pot holes disguised as puddles, and whenever possible pay closer attention to the car in front of you as they encounter puddles.

A year ago she went through, scratch that, went into one, broke a wheel and a motor mount on her Chevy Prizm, (Corolla).

I've yet to meet anyone who claims to have put in a reimbursement for damages against the city and received a nickel.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Hi fellow YarisWorlders....

I ran over a pothole from hell the other day, and am now paranoid whether I broke or bent something. Should I be looking anywhere or listening for anything that'd tell me whether something bent or broke? Friggin' cities will steal your money in the form of taxation, but they can't fix the friggin' roads....
I can relate, the roads where I live are rougher than a cob. Believe it or not there are some here that drive expensive exotic sports cars on these roads lol.
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post

I've yet to meet anyone who claims to have put in a reimbursement for damages against the city and received a nickel.
Yep as the saying goes you can't fight city hall. Where I live the city and county loves doing road construction by taking their asphalt eaters and chewing up miles of road and instead of gradually lifting up the cutter to leave a nice slope they stop abruptly and leave a three to four inch lip between the original blacktop and what they just grated up. Then to top it all off they will stop construction and leave the road in this condition for weeks or months on end. I swear they are in cahoots with tire and alignment shops in town. Another nicety is the ate up road always has tons of loose gravel and small rocks to fly up and bust your windshield or dent your car. Meh!!!!
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
For some reason, made me think of the New York State Thruway. The tolls were supposed to stop once the road was paid for. Did the tolls stop after the road was paid for? Of course not .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
bairjo

That all depends on what your definition of "paid" is. That's sort of like what your definition of is...is I guess.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Nook,

lol, same thing with the MASS Pike. Tolls were supposed to come down after the bonds were paid off. lolololololololololol.

*Side note, Apologies bent for hijacking this. Just over the Mass line into Tiverton R.I. there a is a brand new bridge connecting the mainland to Aquidneck Island, The new Sakonnet River bridge. ( For those who don't know, Newport R.I. is on the southern end of Aquidneck Island).

Maybe 2 years ago the Rhode Island legislature in a 2 a.m. vote lumped in with a a bunch of other stuff decided to put a toll on their brand new bridge. Start off small then eventually grow $$$$. All automated with cameras etc.

Well it was met with all kinds of push back, from residents, businesses, everybody! I laughed and laughed, yeah they're going to take down the tolls, Hahahahahahahahaha.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong, they took them down!

So, there's that................................
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Bentjazz, have you checked for new noises, steering (play, pull, vibrations, tilted wheel), visible cracks or denting on the rim(s), marks or deformities on tire(s)? If nothing happened, then I think the only thing broken is the pothole itself.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Nook,

lol, same thing with the MASS Pike. Tolls were supposed to come down after the bonds were paid off. lolololololololololol.

*Side note, Apologies bent for hijacking this. Just over the Mass line into Tiverton R.I. there a is a brand new bridge connecting the mainland to Aquidneck Island, The new Sakonnet River bridge. ( For those who don't know, Newport R.I. is on the southern end of Aquidneck Island).

Maybe 2 years ago the Rhode Island legislature in a 2 a.m. vote lumped in with a a bunch of other stuff decided to put a toll on their brand new bridge. Start off small then eventually grow $$$$. All automated with cameras etc.

Well it was met with all kinds of push back, from residents, businesses, everybody! I laughed and laughed, yeah they're going to take down the tolls, Hahahahahahahahaha.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong, they took them down!

So, there's that................................
Good to know they eliminated that! I stayed in Newport for a week or so in October of 2013. When I first saw the sign, it was too late to not cross that bridge. I asked two of the gals working at the Dunkin Donuts (the one closest to the International Tennis Hall of Fame) about the unmanned bridge. I was worried that unpaid tolls (even though the toll was 10 cents) might end up on my credit report....so I wanted to know how I could find out the balance at the end of my stay. They laughed. They told me (re out of state drivers without an automated toll transponder) that the balance had to get to at least $35.00 IIRC (which would mean 350 crossings) before they would consider it large enough to even bill you via your registration address.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
That all depends on what your definition of "paid" is. That's sort of like what your definition of is...is I guess.
. Same definition as the one NEexpat mentioned for MASS Pike........when the bonds are paid off.