Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Swapping ECU's?

Has anyone considered using a different ecu and just retuning it for the Yaris? Idk if it is possible for a street legal car but I have heard of people using other ECU's when they swap in a different engine or even when you want to use Hondata on your s2k, and using a RSX-S ECU.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
What applies to a Honda does not apply to a Toyota in reference to the ECU. Its a good idea but unfortunately the ECU in our car only comes in our car. It not interchangable like some Honda/Acura ECU. This is the future: http://www.dezod.com/pd_apr.cfm
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

I was thinking maybe swapping for a celica ecu, or mr2, or xb/xa... something of that nature. In all honesty I'm surprised no one has come out with anything for the yaris. I see at least 3 to 4 different yaris a day. It's also a perfect tuner car for a young kid who can't afford a 22k civic si, god only knows why they have become so expensive. Maybe one day someone will have something, lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
In the case of the Corolla, you could swap ECUs with the Celica GT 1ZZ-FE. It has a slightly higher rev limit, and makes 5 more hp than the Corolla.

But all cars with the 1NZ-FE make the same power, so there'd be no difference.

In the case of Honda, they all have a K series motors, so the ECUs are compatible with one another.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I have seen someone swap a Toyota ECU into a Honda, but I think they used a Toyota engine as well, it was a weird swap on honda-tech.

But that dezod thing is not the future. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would shell out $1800 for something like that vs. an excellent standalone system which would even be cheaper. Just because it requires wiring, doesn't mean its impossible to do.

I could see the use for something like that on a more expensive/exotic car, but nothing like a scion or a toyota or honda
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post

But that dezod thing is not the future. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would shell out $1800 for something like that vs. an excellent standalone system which would even be cheaper. Just because it requires wiring, doesn't mean its impossible to do.

I could see the use for something like that on a more expensive/exotic car, but nothing like a scion or a toyota or honda
it depends what you want. If you don't want a straight on race car, having the ability to have the stock ecu still available is rather nice.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Quote:
If you don't want a straight on race car
Thats when you just get a Greddy e-manage blue, that has already been proven to work.

Thats all that device really is is just an interceptor as well or so it seems.

I dunno, I just think it is silly, I can see spending money where money is needed. IE: name brand turbos, meth kits with failsafes, etc etc, but not something like overpriced piggybacks or .... backpurging piping when welding
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
But that dezod thing is not the future. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would shell out $1800 for something like that vs. an excellent standalone system which would even be cheaper.
Give us an example of a "excellent standalone system which would even be cheaper"
Old 05-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
cdydjded

Everyday more & more Im coming to realize that this community will never grow. Im getting tired of people commenting negatively about products that they have no experience with. I dont understand why people think by commenting " don't know anyone in their right mind who would shell out $1800 for something like that" helps this community in any way shape or form.

There is a reason that Micro Image is our only vendor. And its comments like that. Why would anyone that has a business make products for us if every time someone says " it to expensive" "thats a waste of $$$" " it doesn't work" blah blah blah.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
Everyday more & more Im coming to realize that this community will never grow. Im getting tired of people commenting negatively about products that they have no experience with. I dont understand why people think by commenting " don't know anyone in their right mind who would shell out $1800 for something like that" helps this community in any way shape or form.

There is a reason that Micro Image is our only vendor. And its comments like that. Why would anyone that has a business make products for us if every time someone says " it to expensive" "thats a waste of $$$" " it doesn't work" blah blah blah.
I'm glad someone said something.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
cdydjded

Thx "Blu", Iv said it before & Ill keep on saying it.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

I have everything in my shop/home to tune every brand of car short of a dyno. I have been doing this for a few years as just a side hobby because it is fun to me.

So if you are trying to ridicule me it will not work. It would be like me going into your thread and commenting on your turbo project and stating the obvious.

I am not going to have a who's dick is bigger than who's contest, but there are plenty of affordable management systems around. Theres Wolf, Haltech, Perfect Power to name just some ones that are under $1800, I am not talking about some $3000 Motec system.

You always think I am trying to prove you wrong, but I am not, I am just stating that if someone wanted to go out ad buy a piggyback system, they can get away with spending $150 on ebay for a blue, another $100 for some cables and whatnot for it, get someone to wire it for another $100, and then tune for like $300. $650 in total. Whereas you would need to spend $1800 on that unit, and then another $300 on top for them to tune it.

You make me sad cdydyjd
I am not Tamago
Don't think this is a special writeup, I'm peterpooping in the bathroom right now on YW

PS: The only reason that MI is the only vendor is because Garm monopolized the Yaris market, it's a smart move, and if that isn't clear to see then I do not know what is. Unless you come out with something major and custom and cool that you refuse to sell to Garm, then there will be more vendors.

Last edited by Nexus1155; 05-31-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
cdydjded

At no time I was trying to ridicule you. I take time to work with Dezod to have an option between a piggyback with limits & a full standalone. And then I get your comment. I get it everytime I come up with something. Its frustrating to me & will not accept it.

This is not a bigger dick contest, it about thinking before you comment. And futhermore how can you compare an ebay purchase of a used blue to a new product? Once again think! If this "$1800" unit is not for you fine that ok, no problem with that. But dont jack a thread with false information. It not always about cost......
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Well it seems to me people wont put out big money for a car that's worth about 10-15k. Also manufacturers don't have much to work with, the engine can't handle much w/o being rebuilt unlike most tuner cars. RSX, SI, S200, 350z, 240sx, 200sx, ect are still good for over double whp, while our car can barely handle anything over 150whp (going based on garms turbo yaris, but there aren't really any others) and double is 180whp. Also out ECU seems to just be this gigantic wall unless you bring something in, like EMS. Either way I have no problem dishing out 1-1.5k for a good EMS and tune.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
Well it seems to me people wont put out big money for a car that's worth about 10-15k. Also manufacturers don't have much to work with, the engine can't handle much w/o being rebuilt unlike most tuner cars. RSX, SI, S200, 350z, 240sx, 200sx, ect are still good for over double whp, while our car can barely handle anything over 150whp (going based on garms turbo yaris, but there aren't really any others) and double is 180whp. Also out ECU seems to just be this gigantic wall unless you bring something in, like EMS. Either way I have no problem dishing out 1-1.5k for a good EMS and tune.
Really? Wont spend money on a 10-15k car? How much were 92-95 Civics when the came out? Our ECU is not a problem. The AEM FIC works, the Emanage works. The problem is that there are VERY few people here that actually try new things out, few people here are willing to step out of the box. BTW 1-1.5k is an unrealistic number for a AEM EMS, unless you buy it used & can install it & tune it yourself
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Quote:
Well it seems to me people wont put out big money for a car that's worth about 10-15k.
Exactly.... When my Audi came out in 2000+ years it was big money, when i bought it it was $21K, now they are worth like 6-8k. ECU flashes go for around $600 with a core if you buy it from a reputable dealer, but kids only want to spend $200 on an ECU reflash.

And now, great minds have come together and cracked that code for Hondas and Subarus etc, and I have heard horror stories of people blowing their cars up. I get requests all day to raise peoples rev limiters to 8k on a 6500 redline car.

When you are tuning any car, and do not buy the top of the line parts or the top of the line systems, money is always an object. Just because you work with Dezod, does not make it an outstanding product, a glorified piggyback is a glorified piggyback no matter which way you cut the cake. You can't call something new if its just repackaged electronics shoved into a prettier casing.. The problem with that is that there is a select crowd who will indulge in such mods like that, which is like 5% of the community, which is sad I know, but it is true.

You can look at a used electronic device and see if it was abused or not. It is not like parts start falling out over time, its just a PCB board in a case. So you are saying that some product that sat in a warehouse for 6 years is better than the one that some kid used for a couple months? I'd rather the used one, cheaper, and confirmed to be working instead of getting a unit that is DOA, which happens more often than not
Old 05-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

First you need to look at how people are influenced, people don't buy tuner magazines any more. Yes, I know some people still do, but since the economy went down hill magazine subscriptions were the first to go. So people go off of what their friends have and what is known.

Most people look at the yaris and don't see its potential the same way they do at a mini cooper or a miata or a civic. Maybe it's because this is the first real generation of the yaris in America that has caused people to start tuning them. Either way you look at it, the market for yaris performance is not in demand. There is a blitz supercharger, that still needs to be tuned to work properly and a zage turbo kit, that needs a better turbo and oil pan. The zage kit could have easily been copied by greddy or hks or any other tuning company. I don't understand why this is, when companies make stuff for a rolling brick (Scion XB). The yaris is more aerodynamic and a better car on the track. It's all comes down to who the car is marketed to. Maybe it's due to the economy going own hill while the yaris was becoming popular.

Onto my main topic, can you swap an ecu from an XA or XB? Isn't it the same engine and they actually make harnesses and tunes for them?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
This is the future: http://www.dezod.com/pd_apr.cfm
I did my tC project before any of that was invented. Had to go standalone. Sound familiar? The aftermarket still came, and on a car that no longer sports the same motor (2.5L for 2011 model) only a few years later.

If they keep making the Yaris, it will develop a performance aftermarket over time, it's just too soon. Need more USED cars on the road, those are the ones people mess with.

I wonder how many parts/kits were available for the Civic three years after it was released here? That would be 1973-75 if anyone is counting. I was in high school, I sure don't remember anyone modding a Civic at that time. We all had VW's and domestics.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote