Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
jp_caldwell

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Brake Issues

It's only done this a few time, but more often lately. When braking on dry pavement it makes a sound as if the ABS has engaged. I would ask if it happened on wet/snow covered ashphalt and at crazy speeds. The thing is my wife was going through a school zone at 30km and when she stepped on the brake this happened. I drove it that night to see what she was talking about and it did it once, just enough for me to know what it sounded like. Has anyone had this happen to them? or does anyone know what might cause this?

On a side note, we were trying to sell the car but it looks as though our other car may sell soon. Hopefully cause I can't afford two cars much longer. Plus once I came back on here I got a renewed love for the Yaris.
jp_caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
mrb3990

Drives: 2010 Yaris Blcksandpearl sdn
The only time I have ever had ABS engage on dry pavement is when I had to stop suddenly.
mrb3990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
take it to the dealer, could be a faulty sensor, they are apparently pretty fragile

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
jp_caldwell

Drives: 2006 Yaris
The abs and e-brake light came on when this happened as well. I have found that if I pump the brake until it gets harder when teh car is off than it seems to resolve this problem. Any guesses as to what it may be now?
jp_caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Most likely ABS sensor. You can try cleaning them. Sometimes the magnetic pickup gets small metal debri stuck to it from the road. I believe its just a 10mm screw and it wiggles out. Just spray some brake cleaner on it and wipe it well with a rag. That would be my best guess if the problem happens intermitently. If it is still doing it its best to take it to a shop and see if there are any stored ABS codes. That will help them poinpoint which of the sensors are defective if any.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake problems