Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2023, 06:17 PM   #19
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
DAMN! I'm jelly... you even did the 5th gear swap that I had planned on doing. Where'd you get them headlights!!!
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #20
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
DAMN! I'm jelly... you even did the 5th gear swap that I had planned on doing. Where'd you get them headlights!!!
They look like projector retrofitted OEM lights.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #21
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
They look like projector retrofitted OEM lights.
Ah! I see... I'll I've yet to attempt to do this. One more thing to add to my project.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:35 PM   #22
rpster

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Yup! Morimoto M LED 2.0 projectors in the stock housing. Wanted that OEM+ look
rpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #23
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
was the differential preload in spec? or did you have to change out the shim? im curious as to how to remove the bearings in the case
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 01:07 AM   #24
rpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
was the differential preload in spec? or did you have to change out the shim? im curious as to how to remove the bearings in the case
I didn't bother to measure the preload on the old bearings prior to teardown since I knew I would be replacing the differential bearings anyways. I went from the "DD" shim that was previously installed to an "EE" and got my preload on the high range of spec for new bearings (0.78 to 1.57 Nm)

Unless you have a very large press, I used a deadblow with an appropriately sized socket to push the old bearings out.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM   #25
remcafee

gotcha gotcha, did you also fp the input shaft bearing and that front seal?
Old 11-26-2023, 09:03 PM   #26
rpster

Quote:
gotcha gotcha, did you also fp the input shaft bearing and that front seal?
Yup, these were replaced along with all the other external seals
Old 12-18-2023, 12:45 PM   #27
rpster

BAR Referee - California Smog Certification

To legally drive the car and register it in California, the engine change must be certified by the Bureau of Automotive Repair or BAR. This is a two part process which certifies that the engine change meets all emissions requirements.

The first part involves checking that all documentation is correct and that the car has been prepared per the engine change guidelines. The second part involves a physical inspection of the engine change by a BAR referee and smog check.

Part One - Phone Interview

After scheduling a phone appointment with the BAR office, a BAR rep will call for a 50 minute interview to discuss the engine change. They will confirm that you understand the guidelines (https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/smog...engine-changes) and ask if you have any questions about the process. They will also ask you to email the following details:
  • Picture of the catalytic converters in their location
  • Picture of the O2 sensors and their location
  • Engine bay shots to show hose and vacuum connections
  • Photos of the EVAP system components and their location
  • Shots of a scanner tool showing no trouble codes and OBD monitors are complete/ready
  • Screenshots of a scanner tool -or- dealer invoice showing the CAL ID and CAL CVN*
  • Donor VIN number
  • Your most recent registration
  • Proof of emissions certification for both donor and recipient vehicles

*Most off the shelf scan tools can produce this (usually under a vehicle info screen or similar), however if you do take it to a shop you will need to explain what you need. This step confirms the ECM has not been tampered with and the programming matches a smog legal one.

Upon confirmation of the above, the BAR rep will have you contact the BAR office again to schedule your in-person inspection.

Part Two - In-person Inspection
Once the inspection is scheduled, you'll receive details on what BAR Referee location to go to and what you'll need. Generally, they will ask you to arrive a few minutes early. They will then take your car in to inspect the engine change and also perform a rolling road smog check. The process can take up to two hours, so be prepared with plenty of fuel, oil, and coolant. They do charge for the smog check ($8.25 in 2023).

Assuming everything was followed correctly and the car blows clean an engine change sticker will be applied to the car by the BAR referee, either in the engine bay or door jamb.

And that's it! The car can now be registered and driven legally on California streets.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:15 AM   #28
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
California is whack.

In Alberta its like: "oh you have an car and it has insurance? its roadworthy"

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:24 PM   #29
remcafee

how do you like the helical limited slip diff?
Old 12-31-2023, 05:48 PM   #30
rpster

Quote:
how do you like the helical limited slip diff?
Worth every penny. The car was already nimble, but feeling it pull you through corners under power is what sold me.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:09 PM   #31
remcafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpster View Post
Worth every penny. The car was already nimble, but feeling it pull you through corners under power is what sold me.
i bought a quaife diff, going to try it, its basically a helical style but a little different operating principle, i have had a really bad clunk with the cusco 1.5 diff and it snapped my passenger axle in half from the vibration and shock it was outputting, i got a whole another trans i pulled apart and serviced with new oem seals and changed out 2nd and 3rd gear synchros and hubs as they were really boogered up looking. all the bearings looked basically like new with no scratches or scoring at all so im gonna reuse them
Old 01-01-2024, 03:56 PM   #32
rpster

Quote:
i bought a quaife diff, going to try it, its basically a helical style but a little different operating principle, i have had a really bad clunk with the cusco 1.5 diff and it snapped my passenger axle in half from the vibration and shock it was outputting, i got a whole another trans i pulled apart and serviced with new oem seals and changed out 2nd and 3rd gear synchros and hubs as they were really boogered up looking. all the bearings looked basically like new with no scratches or scoring at all so im gonna reuse them
The MFactory LSD I installed is more/less the same design as the Quaife and TRD helicals (plus it was on sale). It's a very smooth transition between "locked" and unlocked states, so very good for daily use. We've had more rain around here lately and have been loving the two wheel peels in 1st