Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
AFR install - narrow band simulation wire

He guys, I'm getting ready to pick what parts I'm going to purchase for my gauge installation this summer. I'm going with oil temp, oil pressure and AFR. This way if I run a cam con down the road I can determine how I should tune it until I can afford to get it pro tuned on a dyno.

Most AFR gauges come with a narrow band (NB) simulation wire that you can splice into the input line to the factory ECU so it will still run as normal without the stock narrow band sensor in place.

My question is: what wire do I need to attach that NB simulation wire to so that it feeds to stock ECU?

Also, is this possible (does it work?) or should I just keep my stock sensor in there and have an extra bung welded in to run my AFR?

I'd much rather remove the stock sensor as it would allow for a cleaner install and less sensors sticking into the exhaust. However, if this is not realistic if the afr sensor NB simulation doesn't work well to feed the ecu then I won't bother as I don't need any CEL's being thrown. If it won't work then I'll just keep the stock sensor in there along with the afr one that I'll be installing.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I would do it the right way and add a sensor before the cat. Stick with the wideband. You will love yourself in the future.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
tmontague

I was doing some reading on some other forums and it appears that these dual channel afr sensors that are supposed to be able to tell the stock ECU values between 0 and 1v tend to not work and the cars never run right or don't run at all.

Although this would've made for a cleaner install as I could have just swapped in the wide band for the stock narrow band, it isn't realistic if the car doesn't run right and throws CEL's.

I'll be sticking with just adding an extra bung to install a wideband and leaving my stock O2 sensor in there as well to communicate with the stock ecu. This will keep the ECU happy and the car will run right with no CEL's, happy e-test, happy driver.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The factory sensor is a wide band, DO NOT try and simulate it. The ECU needs this signal to prevent failure. You can get away with doing this to the secondary sensor but you'll probably get a code.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
tmontague

Thanks for the heads up. I was only thinking about the secondary, but due to potential CEL's i'm going to just install an afr as an addition to the factory sensors