Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #1
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
1ZZ TB without intake???

im about to upgrade to 1zz tb but i do not want intake kit just like the picture i have attached below..i had simota intake and i took it off after 2 days due to annoying humming sound and losing low end..is it true that i will not gain hp and it will be too restrictive with stock airbox??
does anyone have TB with stock airbox??

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I don't have a stock filter anymore, but I'm quite sure it's too restrictive for the TB to do any good. Heck, even with an aftermarket intake, the gains are quite moderate without a full exhaust revamp.

I installed an aftermarket SRI, 1ZZ TB, aftermarket header, and custom exhaust (in that order), and only after I swapped the exhaust did I feel a tangible difference performance wise.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I have a 1zz TB, and to be honest if you have no other supporting mods then the only advantage is an increased throttle response (this is not an increase in HP). I noticed a very significant difference when I ported my stock intake manifold (which I'm now selling). I now run the MicroImage/Golden Eagle manifold which is also built to match the size of the 1zz TB.

I personally don't think the stock airbox will be restrictive. The engine is a vacuum and i feel the stock airbox is large enough for the amount of air the 1nz needs even with the 1zz TB. That being said this is because even with a 1zz TB, you are still severely limited with the stock intake manifold. The engine is can not use more air because of a 1zz TB, it is still limited by intake and exhaust manifolds.

IMO, the 1zz mod is useless (except for throttle response) without porting your intake manifold or running the microimage manifold. In your case the restriction is not the airbox but the stock intake manifold.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I have a 1zz TB, and to be honest if you have no other supporting mods then the only advantage is an increased throttle response (this is not an increase in HP). I noticed a very significant difference when I ported my stock intake manifold (which I'm now selling). I now run the MicroImage/Golden Eagle manifold which is also built to match the size of the 1zz TB.

I personally don't think the stock airbox will be restrictive. The engine is a vacuum and i feel the stock airbox is large enough for the amount of air the 1nz needs even with the 1zz TB. That being said this is because even with a 1zz TB, you are still severely limited with the stock intake manifold. The engine is can not use more air because of a 1zz TB, it is still limited by intake and exhaust manifolds.

IMO, the 1zz mod is useless (except for throttle response) without porting your intake manifold or running the microimage manifold. In your case the restriction is not the airbox but the stock intake manifold.
good write up, thank you

Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Also keep in mind that the stock MAF sensor (and the tube it lives in) will always be the limiting factor on the intake side. The diameter is part of the formula the ECU uses to determine air-fuel ratios, so it's hard linked to the ECU. The only way to get more air past it is with a compressor--and even then you'll just throw MAF out-of-range errors. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
I am using 1ZZ TB with stock air box at first. Later on added a TB spacer as port matching.

rabbito did you see that Thai intake manifold? Any idea on the diameter for TB side?
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
MAF from a 1ZZ is the same part number as for the 1NZ, Just the tubing diameter is different

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
rabbito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxtasy View Post
I am using 1ZZ TB with stock air box at first. Later on added a TB spacer as port matching.

rabbito did you see that Thai intake manifold? Any idea on the diameter for TB side?
yes i saw the intake manifold, i remember my ecu tuner had them inside of his car..i think it was 1zz intake manifold but he had to fabricate them to fit inside his engine..he also has 1zz tb with hks short ram intake..
im not sure about the size..

Old 02-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I personally don't think the stock airbox will be restrictive. The engine is a vacuum and i feel the stock airbox is large enough for the amount of air the 1nz needs even with the 1zz TB.
The stock airbox (as well as the reast of the I/H/E setup) was designed with fuel efficiency in mind. That means that everything is a series of little tubes with lots of twists and turns along the way. One needs to reduce these restrictions and allow more air in through straighter pipes in order to allow larger and colder amounts of oxygen in to increase performance.

It's like trying to suck in a milkshake through a thin twisty straw as opposed to a fat straight one. You could (hypothetically) swap your lungs for a bigger set, but with the twisty straw still in place, the overall improvement will be negligible.

My advice is to start with a SRI, then go to the TB, then mani, then header, and finally either an axle-back or header-back exhaust (if you're really looking to push it). It's definitely the more expensive route, but you will feel a difference in all areas as a result.

My 2¢.