Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #163
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
We were featured!! Wooo!

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...g-racings.html
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #164
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Congrats, man! I am so stoked to do this swap to my hatch.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #165
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Man that's an awesome write up, Congrats!

I'm also in the process of trying to find a 2ZRFE for a swap. I'd like to find a salvage car, but looks like everything is around $2500 for an 08 or 09, plus all the fees associated from buying from CoParts. I can find engines all day long ranging from $700 to $1500. But of course, they have been stripped of all accessories like alternator, ac compressor flywheel, throttle body, wiring, etc. Just gotta be patience. Maybe something will pop up on Craigslist soon.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #166
beaker

Can you image a forced induction 2ZRFE in a Yaris?

They are getting 230ish HP out of Turbo'ed Corrollas, conservative tune.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #167
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Man that's an awesome write up, Congrats!

I'm also in the process of trying to find a 2ZRFE for a swap. I'd like to find a salvage car, but looks like everything is around $2500 for an 08 or 09, plus all the fees associated from buying from CoParts. I can find engines all day long ranging from $700 to $1500. But of course, they have been stripped of all accessories like alternator, ac compressor flywheel, throttle body, wiring, etc. Just gotta be patience. Maybe something will pop up on Craigslist soon.
seems like if you could find one for closer to the $700 mark, it might be worth your time to buy refubished parts that are missing such as the a/c compressor and what not. You'd likely still be ahead when i's all said and done. The only thing you'd have to source for sure is the wiring loom.

No doubt the full engine would be ideal, but if that's not to be found just take some time and gather parts over a couple months.

How the heck are they getting 230hp out of this engine but the 1nz it tough to get more than 135 hp off of a conservative tune? Is it an easier to manage ecu or what?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #168
beaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
seems like if you could find one for closer to the $700 mark, it might be worth your time to buy refubished parts that are missing such as the a/c compressor and what not. You'd likely still be ahead when i's all said and done. The only thing you'd have to source for sure is the wiring loom.

No doubt the full engine would be ideal, but if that's not to be found just take some time and gather parts over a couple months.

How the heck are they getting 230hp out of this engine but the 1nz it tough to get more than 135 hp off of a conservative tune? Is it an easier to manage ecu or what?
I been looking at prices on separate stuff like the alternator, ac, flywheel, throttle body, etc, and I'm thinking I'd spend probably in the neighborhood of another $500 to $700. All the parts seem to be easy to find, except the the engine harness. When I have been able to find a harness, it was over $200.

Check out this website on the turbos.

http://www.turbokits.com/Toyota/Coro...urbo_Kit/1972/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corrollaturbo.jpg (61.1 KB, 324 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #169
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

The trick to finding everything you need is being super polite and asking for help with finding a complete engine still assembled. I had to make tons of phone calls until finally I talked to Erv at Calumet. He contacted everyone he knew in the business and a recycler 2 hours away had just pulled one out.....it was a immediate transplant into mine. Then you buy the rest from Toyota and within a few weeks you can be done!

Regarding boosting the 2zr, yes the potential is there. I have to pay off my swap loan first, then we can get crazy!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #170
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I had a fellow racer test drive my car today to provide some feedback. My friend John drives a number of cars but his favorite is autocrossing his Nissan Sentra SE. He said the car feels like you get a torque jump off the line and then you feel it again at 4000rpm. He mentioned how quickly the car gets to 80mph when entering the freeway. He also noticed how the auto trans shift mapping is much better and results in quicker more solid shifts....

I have a appointment with The Smoking Tire in April for them to review the car also!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #171
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
I had a fellow racer test drive my car today to provide some feedback. My friend John drives a number of cars but his favorite is autocrossing his Nissan Sentra SE. He said the car feels like you get a torque jump off the line and then you feel it again at 4000rpm. He mentioned how quickly the car gets to 80mph when entering the freeway. He also noticed how the auto trans shift mapping is much better and results in quicker more solid shifts....

I have a appointment with The Smoking Tire in April for them to review the car also!
LOL YES! I love that channel!
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #172
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker
...All the parts seem to be easy to find, except the the engine harness. When I have been able to find a harness, it was over $200.
That sounds pretty standard. The real trick will be finding one that hasn't been cut anywhere. If you're feeling brave, you might find a similar one in a self-serve junk yard, strip it down, and make it fit. For example, the 09+ Corolla has the 2ZR, so all the connectors are there, you just have to re-route the ECU connector to the other side of the engine bay--the Yaris/xD is on the passenger side, the Corolla is on the driver's side.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #173
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I have a spare Corolla harness, but it was cut at the fusebox end.....Ill donate it to the first person that actually starts the swap.....and you gotta be willing to do all the soldering.

On another note, I won again this weekend even though I didn't do my best...

https://youtu.be/WxOtsRiVXCU
Old 02-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #174
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
Noob question. If you are using the corolla engine, but with the Xd ECM... then aren't you only limited to the power of the Xd ECM of 126hp?

Are you planning to do any tuning?
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #175
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm View Post
Noob question. If you are using the corolla engine, but with the Xd ECM... then aren't you only limited to the power of the Xd ECM of 126hp?
This is actually a very good question. I have heard arguments that the Xd exhaust header is tight and restricting causing the lower peak hp, but I dont know thats true due to almost identical torque ratings. Ive always suspected the Xd ECM does have a more conservative tune, but Ive been told thats not the case. The only way to know for sure....is for me to go do some dyno pulls. I have a complete Corolla engine and exhaust, so if I put down equal hp and torque, we will know its the Xd tune.

I do have a Camcon Ex to tune my 2zr with, once the BAR certificate is affixed.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #176
brushforhire

Welp, just got off the phone with my local yard. Looks like I got most of the swap coming for under $850. Glad I work for a dealership. :) I just got to buy some a/c lines and I'm golden. I will start a build thread shortly.

Thank you so much for posting this how to and clarifying how easy this can be to do.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #177
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I vote you post your build experience on her or on a new thread so us future swappers can learn as much insight as possible on the different ways to do the swap

Looking forward to your build! BTW, $850 seems ridiculously cheap, how'd you swing that?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #178
brushforhire

I managed to snag that price, by basically just building a relationship with the local yard over the past 11 years. We help them out with parts when they need them, and when I need random stuff like this, if they can cut me a break they will. This was way better than I expected though. Engine only has 65k on it.

I will probably start a new build. The plan is to provide photos from beginning to end.

I have to redo my entire exhaust and that helped push me to start it sooner. I am doing the XD front brake upgrade with SS lines form Micro image also. I am hoping to get some Megan coilovers on the car while I am doing all this.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #179
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushforhire View Post
Welp, just got off the phone with my local yard. Looks like I got most of the swap coming for under $850. Glad I work for a dealership. :) I just got to buy some a/c lines and I'm golden. I will start a build thread shortly.

Thank you so much for posting this how to and clarifying how easy this can be to do.
Awesome! Im looking forward to another swap among the ranks!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #180
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My 2006 doesn't have abs.
Does that mean I'm limited to using the yaris transmission?

Edit: also am I limited to using anything else like what harness/ecu/ecm?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote