Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
shtou

Drives: YARIS TS 1.8
Oils,brake liquids,oil filters..and so onfor TS

What type of engine oil do you use?and what do you recommend?
what type of brake liquid you use..
what type of oil filter you use..
of course beside the original from toyota dealer..i'm interesting for something specially..aftermarket

does the brake pads from yaris 1.5 fit on our 1.8 yaris?because i saw that TRD has sport brake pads for 1.5 yaris...
shtou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
knowmercy

Drives: Blk 3door
Good Oils

Obviously any synthetic oil is going to be better than a non-synthetic. There is a LOT of difference between oils. Castrol GTX 5w-30 is a REALLY great oil and I've been running it in race engines for a long while (though often a bit heavier weight since most engines have the tolerances opened up a bit). You can run synthetic Castol GTX as well. Another stand-by I've always been really happy with is Mobile-1. Both oils are available just about anywhere you can find oil and they do a fantastic job. Look into Lucas oil additives as well. They make VERY good stuff for cleaning your fuel system and keeping your oil protecting your engines critical parts. As for break fluid, unless you're running on the track and boiling it there isn't a whole lot you can do better than Dot-3 stuff. If you want to drive hard and do track stuff I recommend flushing it out every time you're at the track. Same thing with oil. One day at the track will just about expire your oil... especially if you're running a boosted engine. Hope this is helpful. :)
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
As the previous post said, regarding the oil just go for a recognized synthetic oil. Mobil1, Castrol, Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple.

I use amsoil 0-30 in my car and I love it..! I change it every 10,000 miles

Regarding filters... have you looked your car filter? It actually doesn't have a regular filter... it has an element type filter. Does not have a metal case... is just the paper element.
So you have to stick with the OE Toyota filter, no options here.

A good advise is to change the transmission oil for a synthetic fluid as well. I use red line 75w-90

For the brakes if you drive really hard and use to go to the track you can upgrade to performance fluid DOT4.
ATE Blue or Motul RBF600 those will stand the heat much better.

Regarding the pads

You can fit the pads from the 1.5 yaris on the TS but that's not a good idea since the TS pads are wider. So if you use the regular yaris pads you would not be using the full disc braking surface...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
shtou

yeap..i made the first change of engine oil(15000km) at toyota dealer from my neighbour country and they put shell helix ultra 5w30..but when i went to my city dealer(in romania) and talked about the car--they recommend me 0w20..they show me an oil bottle they use (0w20) with the Toyota Oil stick ).they told me they use 0w20 for yaris ts and for lexus petrol engines(because the producer recommend this type of oil); of course toyota doesn't have their own engine oil and so on...the idea is at next oil change,i think i'll go with my oil(chosen from those you recommend me)...in my city there are only 2 yaris TS ..and the dealer doesn't know very much about this car..every time i go to dealer the mechanics are very interested about my car -(i have a friend which works at dealer's sale department and i use to visit him)
so..when i ask the dealer for some tuning spare parts(like brakes,sport engine oil,sparks and so on) they know nothing-only what toyota teached them.
and if you think there is TTE(toyota tuning europe)..but for what?in this moment the 2009 yaris ts is on the market and for my one,i find nothing for tune up..even TRC tuning has small offer for this car-except the compressor(9000E!!!!!!!!-for this money i buy a new 1.0 yaris)
also for my 2007 diesel corolla i can't find lot of tuning spare parts.
whatever..i am little dissapoint about toyota regarding the tuning..
i think i'll buy a 90' Supra ..and tune it up ...or maybe a Civic Type R (because Hondata and Mugen has much more tuning spare parts then TTE)
100E for a TRD stock replacement air filter-here in europe?????put a few $ and i can buy aFE CAI.
take a look and wonder what prices!!!

http://www.badtoys.ch/get.asp?templa...6202%A6183%A62

i think if i'll buy NST pulley for our engine and go to dealer and ask for install they will tell me it is not possible because the car is in warranty and so on...
Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

I know exactly what you mean. Same story over here.

There are only like 8 TS in the country and the dealer won't give any Tuning support even if this is supposed to be a TS model.

So I never go to the dealer and do everything my self.

Regarding the 0w-20 oil. It's true that is one of the recommended oils for this engine. But if you look at the manual, this is the oil recommended to achieve the best fuel economy. If you drive your car hard, go for a 0w-30 or 5w-30 it will provide better protection to your engine.

Performance wise I've only done the CAI and the full custom cat back exhaust. I have yet to take the car to the dyno but my Butt dyno says the car picked up at least 10-12hp. It drive so much smoother now. The car used to died when approaching the 6,000 rpm but now you can feel it pushing all the way to the red line.

IMO the nicest thing about this engine is the added Torque over the 1.5 Engine.
It makes it more usable and enjoyable.

The car has great potential, but is up to us to develop it. We won't get much support from any tuning company.

Seeing that your are interested in making the most out f this car this is my advise:

Quality Synthetic Fluids: Engine and Transmission Oil

The brake system is quite capable as is. You already have larger front discs and rear disc. And they can take some abuse believe me. Perhaps the DOt 4 (ATE/Motul) fluid if your going to the track.

AFE CAI

NST U-drive Pulley

Custom catback exhaust. This car REALLY needs an exhaust upgrade. From the cat back it has the same exhaust as a 1.5L Yaris.
At least replace the section from the middle resonator to the back of the car. If you can get mandrel bent tubing go for a 2" exhaust other wise go for a 2.25"

Do you carry passengers often? If not, you have no idea of how heavy the rear seats are. I mean really heavy! You can shave like 150lbs just by taking the seats of.

Finally look for a suspension upgrade. All the US spec Yaris suspension component will work on our car.
The rear sway bar is a great addition. If you can not afford coilovers look for the H&R lowering springs.

Also, the OE Yokohama rubber is a comfort oriented tire. Get some 215/40 performance rubber.

^^^^

All this will net you a totally different car from the one you originally brought from the dealership. And will put a smile in your face every time you go for a ride!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
shtou

thanks a lot my friend for your advice.i noticed all
in this moment i have a little problem with the little one(TS):my wife made a little accident with it and now i have to spend money for reparation..it's wonderful

For the city TS is the best:little and pretty fast ..now i go for a little ride with the TS (the accident affect only the left rear door)..and it can run with this bug,until i decide to repair it .
aFE CAI seems to me very atractive ..waiting for you to test it and see if it will work on our TS.
keep in touch
Old 01-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Cali Yaris is just waiting for the NST U Pulleys to be ready so he can consolidate both (pulley + AFE Intake) and make only one shipment.

He probably can do the same for you so you save some in shipping and get both parts.