Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
INVALUABLE ADVICE

Take 2 minutes and read through this; you will be amazed at what you can learn!

Bed Sheets
After drying sheets, put both sheets and one pillowcase in the other pillow case. Fold neatly in a square. Next time you change sheets, you just take the one pillow case and all the sheets and pillow cae are inside. No need to look for matches.

Reheat Pizza
Heat up leftover pizza in a non-stick skillet on top of the stove, set heat to med-low and heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the cooking channel and it really works.

Reheating refrigerated bread
To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

Broken Glass
Use a dry cotton ball to pick up little broken pieces of glass - the fibers catch ones you can't see!

Easier thank you's
When you throw a bridal/baby shower, buy a pack of thank you cards for the guest of honor. During the party, pass out the envelopes and have everyone put their address on one. When the bride/new mother sends the thank you's, they're all addressed!

Name tag
If you purchase a new bike for your child, place their picture inside the handle bar before placing the grips on. If the bike is stolen and later recovered, remove the grip and there is your proof who owns the bike.

Flexible vacuum
To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

Reducing Static Cling
Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip a n d you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and -- voila -- static is gone.

Measuring Cups
Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill it with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry the cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

Foggy Windshield?
Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser!
Works better than a cloth!

Reopening envelope
If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Voila! It unseals easily.

Conditioner
Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It's a lot cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It's also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn't like when you tried it in your hair...

Good-bye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass fill it 1/2 with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, mix well. You will f i nd those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

Get Rid of Ants
Put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it, take it 'home,' & can't digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, esp. if it rains, but it works & you don't have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

Take baby powder to the beach
Keep a small bottle of baby powder in your beach bag. When you're ready to leave the beach sprinkle yourself and kids with the powder and the sand will slide right off your skin.

Have you learnt something today?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
The only good ones.... for me.... are...
Quote:
Take baby powder to the beach
Keep a small bottle of baby powder in your beach bag. When you're ready to leave the beach sprinkle yourself and kids with the powder and the sand will slide right off your skin
which i already knew ;) and then
this one
Quote:
Foggy Windshield?
Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car. When the windows fog, rub with the eraser!
Works better than a cloth!
which i didnt know..

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
liked the cornmeal ant death one :p

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the fog one is pretty good.. but i usually don't have prob with fogs in my cars.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Very good, but you forgot one: Use half a potato to safely unscrew a broken light bulb from it's socket

Now I wanna find out how to keep family from coming over unannounced

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Very good, but you forgot one: Use half a potato to safely unscrew a broken light bulb from it's socket

Now I wanna find out how to keep family from coming over unannounced
Just make sure the light switch is in the off position first.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Thank you. Will try the cornmeal when my wife's relatives (ants) decide to have an extended visit.
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
lol MD you working at better homes and gardens now?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
lol MD you working at better homes and gardens now?

Nah! Just got this in an email and there are some great tips for nothing so thought i'd share.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Just make sure the light switch is in the off position first.
Hmm guess that explains that baked potato smell

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
liked the cornmeal ant death one :p
+1
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Lol this is a good thread.... Don't forget for old wooden creaky floors just sprinkle some baby powder on the squeaky area and this should help it out. Can't remember where i read it
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
I always think the word "voila" is always so underused :)

Good tips!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
Lol this is a good thread.... Don't forget for old wooden creaky floors just sprinkle some baby powder on the squeaky area and this should help it out. Can't remember where i read it
It does work because it gets between the cracks and stops the squeaks. A carpet layer told me this trick. Just to be clear on this, you need to put the baby powder on the floorboards and sweep it in, not the carpet.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
hatchbackkid82

thanks for clearing that up mad dog i heard of just wasn't sure if it woud work, i haven't tried it yet but now i know thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
It does work because it gets between the cracks and stops the squeaks. A carpet layer told me this trick. Just to be clear on this, you need to put the baby powder on the floorboards and sweep it in, not the carpet.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I always think the word "voila" is always so underused :)

Good tips!
OMFG, THANK YOU for spelling that little sucker correctly! I am so sick of seeing it spelled "Wallah" or something like that. I hate to correct folks all the time (although I do it occasionally just to keep in practice!)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
wallah

: a person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service —usually used in combination <the book wallah was an itinerant peddler — George Orwell>
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
wallah

: a person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service —usually used in combination <the book wallah was an itinerant peddler — George Orwell>
Yup! Like the punkah-wallah that operates the punkah fan - usually from OUTSIDE the room it's in.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote