Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #163
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by barebonedvitz View Post
i'm sort of a noob in suspension rebuilding.. do all coilover companies rebuild/overhaul? which company would you rather settle with?

I know tein rebuilds theirs, but sometimes, i don't think it's worth it since i can just get a new set from another brand... however, depending on what needs to be done, it seems like i can save money as well..

any thoughts on this?
Not all coilovers can be rebuilt. And some can be redone with components from other brands, depending on the sizing. Plus there are companies that can revalve and redo aftermarket coilovers but don't actually manufacturer any.
Are you saying Tein charges as much as an entire new set just to rebuild coilovers? That sounds really expensive.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #164
barebonedvitz
return of the comeback

Drives: white '08LB..very nice,i like
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Not all coilovers can be rebuilt. And some can be redone with components from other brands, depending on the sizing. Plus there are companies that can revalve and redo aftermarket coilovers but don't actually manufacturer any.
Are you saying Tein charges as much as an entire new set just to rebuild coilovers? That sounds really expensive.
yeah, i've read up on some folks who have gotten their Tein's rebuilt.. some did not require extensive work, some did... plus you pay for shipping to and from.. Here's their website.. $175/damper (incl overhaul and revalving) it's pretty much like buying a new set of Basics...

anyhow.. do we have a list of these companies that revalve/overhaul coilovers? it would be good to have them listed on here for us who are contented with our current coilover setups... like me..i would like to find an alternative to sending mine to Tein..

thanks in advance.

93 Civic Si- SC/B18B1 - street beast
07 Red/BlackTop Yaris LB - died in a sandwich in 2010@168K.
08 White Yaris LB - daily beatnut...round 2!
barebonedvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #165
imola_s4

Drives: stock
Quick question do coilovers from any scion xb/xa/xd work with the yaris??? Do they have the same suspension setup???? Just wanna know??
imola_s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #166
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I posed the exact same quesiton to Jeff @ MI and he told me that the cars are extremely similar and weigh close to the same so some companies may interchange the parts but others may still use different part numbers for each. The best way to get a difinitive answer is to contact that manufactorer directly and ask them if the parts are the same, or visit their website and see if you can find part numbers that match between cars.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #167
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by imola_s4 View Post
Quick question do coilovers from any scion xb/xa/xd work with the yaris??? Do they have the same suspension setup???? Just wanna know??
front struts are different....you won't be able to use them on the yaris....no attachment point for the sway bar end link
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #168
JayTee09
4dr=FTW

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
front struts are different....you won't be able to use them on the yaris....no attachment point for the sway bar end link
i was thinking about this the other day while on the raceland website, but the xb2 has an end link mount point it's just lower than our s. Theoretically could you make xb2 coilovers work with a shortened end link?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #169
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
There are adjustable endlinks.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #170
JayTee09
4dr=FTW

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Yeah, I think I'm gonna look into this. I just have to make sure the the bolt spacing on the spindles, and the mounts for the rear shocks match up. I'll keep you guys in the loop if I find something.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #171
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Drives: 2011 Toyota Vios
Hey, I'm lookin for some info on how I what I can do for my Yaris Sedan.

I'm lookin to lower it for comfortably on the road, It's a daily driver so I'm not lookin for anything thats track specific. Something to lower my car, something that helps me take turns well with out too much body roll, and something that's not gonna have too much "give" when breaking and accelerating.

Plus I do want it to give a lean look over all.

I'm new to this, so take it easy. I need to be taught, not teased.

Let suspension 101 begin...lol
HANZO_187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #172
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
These are street-friendly coilover kits:

Megan Racing
Tein Street Basis
Tanabe

Do you need to lower it a LOT? Eliminate Tanabe.

All in stock and available from Micro Image.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #173
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
These are street-friendly coilover kits:

Megan Racing
Tein Street Basis
Tanabe

Do you need to lower it a LOT? Eliminate Tanabe.

All in stock and available from Micro Image.
NOTED!

Thats professor awesome, I'm gonna do some home work on those and I'll let you know what happens! I wanna lower it 2" inches tops if not just 1 1/2 inches.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #174
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ That's doable with all the coilover kits. 3" would not work with the Tanabe.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #175
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ That's doable with all the coilover kits. 3" would not work with the Tanabe.
Ok sounds good. Hey is there different set ups for the front and back? I'm learning how to read this shit still. Lol
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #176
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Best to call us. (818) 610-3635 Happy to walk you through it so you get the best products for your needs.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #177
HANZO_187
#CarFiend-HANZO188

I'll save the number and I'll give you guys a ring when I have some time. Hey how about the spring kits, can they get the performance and look at the price less for coilover?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #178
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yes, but for 2" lowering, you should combine that with better struts and shocks.

for *about* a 2" drop, Tein S Techs are a great choice, paired with Tokico Blues.
You'll save hundreds off a coilover kit, but you won't be able to adjust your ride height.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #179
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I like my tanabe ... Not slammed but I think it's low enough .. Plus it's not bouncy at all. Even my mom approved ! Lol
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #180
FHT_Racing

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
I am building a SPEC B car for SCCA later this year and a full season next year. Any suggestions on coil-overs that do NOT have rebound/dampening adjustability? Just height.

Thanks,

Andrew
FHT_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote