Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
thorntonas

Drives: 2009 YR Yaris
Pioneer AVIC F900BT Head Unit + Pioneer Speakers.

Hi Guys,
Wondering if someone can help me. I'm going to purchase the AVIC-F900BT Pioneer head unit - but I'd prefer not to use the factory speakers. I'm looking at getting;

Pioneer TS-G1642R: - For the front.
6½" 2-Way Speaker with 180 Watts Max. Power
30 Watts Nominal Power
1-3/16" Balanced Dome Tweeter
IMPP Composite Cone Woofer

And;

Pioneer TS-G1342R: - For the Rear.
5¼" 2-Way Speaker with 140 Watts Max. Power
25 Watts Nominal Power
1-3/16" PEI Balanced Dome Tweeter
Metallic Silver IMPP Composite Cone Woofer

The head unit can produce 50 watts MAX / 22 watts Normal power per
channel.

Would this setup still sound perfect without an AMP, or is it best to use an AMP in this setup.

Thanks -Allan.
thorntonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
If you're not limited by space ALWAYS use an amplifier if possible. I can honestly say that the excuse that I don't have space in our platforms is ludicrous. I've installed amplifiers on motorcycles...THAT is a limited space platform!

What will make this setup "sound perfect", is not particularly the amplifier addition itself. It will be the proper installation of the speakers as well as the install of the entire system itself and it's proper setup.

Most people over simplify sound. While using the KISS principle is awesome, there's a LOT more to think about when considering what good sound really is.

If one doesn't know any better...simply using an amplifier might be perfect sound.

Edit- That last statement makes me seem like a snob. Don't take it as such, rather think of it as a reason to learn more about what "good sound" is.

Last edited by sqcomp; 11-27-2009 at 02:44 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Okay, yeah...that's what I said.

Do we need clarification?

How about this...having the reasoning that one doesn't have space in a Yaris, whether it be a sedan or hatchback, to mount an amplifier is bogus. You have multiple locations that you would not normally use at all to place a given amplifier. If I can mount a 6 channel McIntosh in an Audi without taking ANY of the trunk's normal usable space...you can place an amplifier under a seat without too much difficulty.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
thorntonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
If you're not limited by space ALWAYS use an amplifier if possible. I can honestly say that the excuse that I don't have space in our platforms is ludicrous. I've installed amplifiers on motorcycles...THAT is a limited space platform!

What will make this setup "sound perfect", is not particularly the amplifier addition itself. It will be the proper installation of the speakers as well as the install of the entire system itself and it's proper setup.

Most people over simplify sound. While using the KISS principle is awesome, there's a LOT more to think about when considering what good sound really is.

If one doesn't know any better...simply using an amplifier might be perfect sound.

Edit- That last statement makes me seem like a snob. Don't take it as such, rather think of it as a reason to learn more about what "good sound" is.

Thanks sqcomp for your reply... You definitely did not sound like a snob.
I agree with you 100% - space is not an issue nor should it be.

I want to use an AMP however, the car i'm installing this unit into is a brand new car and don't want to modify the firewall and dismantle the interior too much.

Is there any advice that you can give to produce the perfect sound setup, that would be perfect.

Thanks –Allan.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

How about this...

I'm here in Iraq right now. Give me a week, and I'll be back at home on leave. One of the things I have to do is to put more deadening in the car. While I'm doing that, I'm also upgrading the grounds in the engine bay. I'll take some pictures of where you can put some power wire through the firewall without cutting.

I may even make a point to show you a good location if you do change your mind and want a clean route for a power wire in through the firewall...as well as what you need to properly do that.

As for the idea of "dismantling" the interior. I can say this with complete confidence...this Yaris is possibly one of the easiest vehicles to work on that I've ever dealt with. I have had the interior of mine out, and there were NO problems putting anything back in.

It all goes back in rather easily...

I want to show more pictures but...chow time calls...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Here's a quick note:

The only real modification (if one would even call it that) of the interior is the ground. Even then, putting a ground wire on a seat bolt isn't unheard of.

The only other issue we haven't discussed is the physical placement of the amplifier. I tend not to mount amplifiers directly to the chassis. It's eliminates one of the causes of induced noise. Instead, I'll usually place the amplifier on some sort of baffle, even under a seat, and then I'll mount everything down.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #7
thorntonas

Quote:
Here's a quick note:

The only real modification (if one would even call it that) of the interior is the ground. Even then, putting a ground wire on a seat bolt isn't unheard of.

The only other issue we haven't discussed is the physical placement of the amplifier. I tend not to mount amplifiers directly to the chassis. It's eliminates one of the causes of induced noise. Instead, I'll usually place the amplifier on some sort of baffle, even under a seat, and then I'll mount everything down.
Mate, you have been very helpful. As soon as i get my new car from the dealer next week, i'm going to find a nice spot for a AMP other than the boot(trunk). I need the space in the boot for baby stuffs and things - so space in the boot is very important at the moment.

The reason why i'm going about an AMP is due to, in my other car, i installed the perfect Pioneer setup. 6" in the front and 6x9" on the parcel shelf all connected through an AMP - produced the best sound quality and the base response was just the way i like it.

Anyways - thanks heaps for the help - keep dropping advise this way - it will always be grateful.

Please, let me know about a good spot to feed a power cable through the firewall, without drilling etc. - that would be perfect.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Most people that i hear from on here feed there power cable through the grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box. I have pioneer 4 way speakers in the rear and want to upgrade the front ones to pioneer as well. The rear ones sound fantastic in terms of bass and SQ(at least to me).
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...and guess what? Sounding fantasic to you is the entire point. If it sounds good to you, that is what matters.

My situation is one that is almost self destructive. I started into car audio working for a shop that was absolutely high end. It has been an expensive proposal for me ever since. I'm putting around $5,000 just into the install of all the equipment that I have waiting for me at the shop that I frequent. Mind you this $5K is with ME doing a lot of the work as well. Sick isn't it?

I almost need to follow my own signature of the KISS principle! That being said, I've evolved past the point of being satisfied with a "drop n' slop" install. I force myself to aspire to something more...
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
skdragon

Drives: Yaris 4d 2010, charcoil Gray
please i wanna know to where to pass a power cable trhough the firewall iam in the same position as he is. My car is brand new and i dont wanna destroy a lot lol ^^ Please Do you have pics of where is located?
skdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I don't have any pics just yet. It's going to be mid April before I get some. I've got to get back home from Iraq first.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
I don't have any pics just yet. It's going to be mid April before I get some. I've got to get back home from Iraq first.

If it was up to ME, you would be home from IRAQ already.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

psshht...

All you want is more pics from the "FrankenYaris" build.

I'm looking forward to Neffy wrapping the modded face panel for the P-01. We're going to make it look seamless. That should be fun. I'll try to make a how to on that so you guys can do the same thing if you want. Oh heck what am I saying? I should be able to post up several tutorials. Wrapping, hand made RCAs, the seamless source mounting, making a showy amp rack, how to properly run signal and power wires, why we should techflex and boot signal wires, how to properly setup, aim, and stage a three way set...and the list goes on...

Tags
avic-f900bt, pioneer, speakers