Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
sim785

Drives: Vitz
Vitz 2001 - rare door handle problem!

Hello, I have a Vitz from 2001. All I have at the moment is a problem with my rare door handle. I went to open the door and the handle remained lifted. The door still closes without any problem however it annoys me that the handle remains lifted. Additionally I saw another vitz like mine that this had the handles of both rare doors in this state.

I tried to do a quick search on google to see if I could find any information but found nothing.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can solve it?
sim785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If the handle still works, then it sounds like the spring that pulls the handle back down snapped.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
sim785

Drives: Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
If the handle still works, then it sounds like the spring that pulls the handle back down snapped.
I do not think this is something I can fix myself like changing a broken bulb right? Or? I was thinking I might open the tapestry. Also will I need to change just the spring? Or I need a new handle?
sim785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

If the spring is broken, I think you will have to replace the whole handle. The bolts are on the inside of the door, so you would have to remove the door panel to get at them.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #5
paraklas

Drives: Vitz 2002 1.4
Hi, sorry for bumping a 3+ year old thread, but I just wanted to see if someone actually managed to fix (not replace) the popped door handle. Attached is what mine looks like right now, still works, but annoys my seeing it like that. From searching here, I see that I need to take the inner door panel out in order to access the rear of the door handle, then what? Is it something that can be repaired?

thanks!
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

There is a small spring within the handle itself that keeps it down. The handle is a separate assembly from the door latch, so you would have to remove the handle to work on it. Replacing the spring would require separating the handle, which is not really designed to be disassembled. There is a metal shaft that is pressed through the center of the assembly that you would have to remove without breaking the plastic in order to remove and replace the spring.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
bluvitz
I've made a post!

Drives: 2001 vitz
I have the same problem. The left passenger as well as the right one.
I wanted for sometime to pull them down and have a look as to whether it can be solved.
If I do get it solved I will post it here.
bluvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
as scott said, the metal shaft to disassemble is quite a PITA. even so, i am unsure where you would get your replacement spring from.

IMO, there might be something else broken, a plastic part (connected to the spring/spring mechanism) and can't be repaired. you'd probably be better off getting a replacement/junkyard door opener and just replacing the whole part.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
barefoot_bajan

Drives: 02 vitz rs
i solved this issue without having to go the route of the spring...

wrap the shaft that CTScott is talking about with wire. this will hold the door handle back in place and it works fine. and won't break again.

the handles were poorly designed, plastic on metal will give away eventually, hence why the nze corolla has a different handle so does the runx and allex
Old 06-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
paraklas

Drives: Vitz 2002 1.4
Hi, another revival.. Finally took some time off to sort all of the issues as expecting new member in the family and all cars need to be in tip-top condition :)

Ordered replacement door handle, for the life of me, I can't find a DIY to replace it. I haven't worked on Toyota before, only on my BMW so I don't know what to expect.

To remove the door handle I need to perform the following steps (can you please verify/comment)..

1. Roll window up
2. Disconnect battery
3. Find all screws that hold door card on and remove them
4. Pry door card until it pops, disconnect wiring from window switches?
5. Remove water barrier
6. Find the 2 screws that hold the door handle
7. Remove the handle? How is it linked to the door lock actuator? or it's not?

THANKS!!!!!!!!
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote