Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Hmm, that is my only concern w/ emissions. I know here in Ontario they care solely on the obd scan and making sure that they're are no codes but i'm not sure if they check to see if the ecu matches the Vin on the car
Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing
I went through the wiring diagrams today and verified the 2zr ECM(automatic transmission) and harness are plug-n-play with the Yaris U340E. For you guys using a manual transmission, you need a manual trans specific harness and ECM.
Good to know. I found that the Yaris ECU pinout is not compatible with the xD wire harness on either connector. Have you addressed the issues with the smaller connector on the ECU, since some of it goes into the interior? What about the end of the engine wire harness that goes into the engine bay relay/fuse box?

**EDIT**

Here's my spreadsheet for comparing the pinouts of the Yaris and xD ECU connectors. I will have to look at the EWDs again when I get home at the end of the month to see what the missing/conflicting names go to. Hopefully that connector just needs to be pin swapped.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 01-15-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added link
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
The U340E is the automatic transmission in all yaris'. The 2zr harness has the exact same transmission plugs with the same wire locations.

The BAR station that inspects your car after completing the swap will give you a label to signify your swap is legal, the different VIN in the ECM is ok, the requirement is the cats have to be there, a legal intake, and no check engine light.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #22
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
The U340E is the automatic transmission in all yaris'. The 2zr harness has the exact same transmission plugs with the same wire locations.

The BAR station that inspects your car after completing the swap will give you a label to signify your swap is legal, the different VIN in the ECM is ok, the requirement is the cats have to be there, a legal intake, and no check engine light.
OK cool, thanks for the info on what U340E meant.

I've got to go this weekend to get emissions done on my cars, my birthday is coming up, so got to get tags. I've got a buddy who I go to for emissions testing, I'll propose that question to him, to see if that's how it's done here in GA.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #23
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Here is the xd engine mount PN#12305-37091....the associated bracket on the engine timing cover also has to be from a xd PN#12315-37040. You will also need the 2 bolts PN#91552-L1240, stud, and 2 nuts that attach the mount to the bracket. My engine came with the Corolla bracket and I wanted to test fit with it......it does not work.

Also you will notice the Corolla ECM back there. Ive already completed a swap with all of the xd electronics, this time Im testing Corolla parts. The Corolla wire harness and ECM will Terminate to the battery area, whereas the xd wire harness and ECM are run like the 1nz. I ran my Corolla harness over to the original ECM location and secured with zip ties until I know everything works.

UPDATE: THE 2010+ COROLLA ECM IS NOT COMPATIBLE UNLESS YOU PLAN ON PROGRAMING NEW KEYS. I had to order a Scion Xd ECM because my car doesn't have immobilizer. For automatic transmissions the part # is 89661-52F71.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (293.0 KB, 928 views)

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-20-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #24
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

This is a 2zr exhaust gasket against the 1nz collector, you can see there is a huge difference in size and this collector will need modifications to work. The bolt spacing on the 2zr exhaust manifold is also larger, its best to find a xd midpipe or collector and have the rest done at a exhaust shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (283.6 KB, 919 views)
Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Here is a xd airbox with the required 2zr MAF sensor. I got these items from Ebay, if you are not concerned about emissions then you can buy a aftermarket intake for an xd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (244.8 KB, 918 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #26
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

When you are ready to install the powertrain, remove this mount and bracket. The larger engine will not give you enough room to properly line up these mounts while mounted to the trans. Slide everything into place then install this mount last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (278.1 KB, 898 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #27
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
I love these posts. reliving those moments at the storage shed swap. :)

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #28
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Angry

Once the powertrain is in and all of the mounts, suspension, and axles are secure....you can start installing your original hoses and lines. The heater hoses will need 2" trimmed off of the engine side, the fuel line will need to be flipped around and installed backwards(or buy one for an Xd), but the remaining brake booster, radiator hoses, and evap solenoid hose can be installed how they were originally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (364.4 KB, 890 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #29
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Now you can assemble the rest of the car and it will look like this. If your car has a/c you will also need the compressor lines: Pn#88712-52341,88711-52311...then get your a/c system recharged. Next step....wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (288.6 KB, 895 views)

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 01-20-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #30
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
SOOOOO much WIN!
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
beaker

Did you use XD axles, or Yaris axles?
Old 01-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #32
beaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Could you clarify a little more on this? What do you mean by U340E?

One of my other concerns is emissions. When you swap to a different car ECM, I'm wondering what kinda of problems that will create when one goes for their annual emissions testing? Doesn't the computer store the VIN info, and I wonder if it will throw a red flag when the emissions testing machine is hooked up to your car, and the VIN #s don't jive?
For those interested in the emissions question, I did some asking around and a little research at www.cleanairforce.com, which is the state of Georgia's website for emissions standards. It appears, or at least in my case, if you put an engine in a car that was never put in that said car for USA production, and that car falls under emissions standards, it then becomes what is called a "grey market vehicle." I have been told, but have not verified, that it is possible to get a "emissions waiver" from the state, if it can be demonstrated that your car will still pass emissions standards for your year make and model of car. I say that I haven't verified this, because what I found on the website is kinda vague, and this info came from the emissions inspector that recently had tested my car. I would definitely want to confirm with the state, that what he said is in fact the case. The emissions inspector did say that by putting a different ECM in my car( IE from a Scion XD), would throw a read flag, because the info coming out of the ECM would not jive with the car being tested, so it would fail without the waiver. Not sure if this info would apply the same to others in different states, but IMO, it would be something I would check on before doing the swap and spending the money.

I'm truly not trying to be a buzzkill, because this swap is AWESOME, and I really want to do this to my car. Just something to think about and investigate if your car is required to meet state emissions standards.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #33
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker View Post
Did you use XD axles, or Yaris axles?
Yaris transmission and axles on my car, Xd transmission and axles on another.....its up to you.

And about emissions, everyone should check their own states laws before starting any swap. I already have permission from California to do this swap, I called in advance.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #34
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
As a side note do you know how much beefier the xD axles are if any?

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #35
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
As a side note do you know how much beefier the xD axles are if any?
Thread hijack! =)

For reference, the Yaris uses 23 tooth 24/48 DP stubs, the xD (Celica/Matrix/Corolla) uses 20 tooth 20/40 DP stubs. I'm drawing a blank on how to calculate the actual diameter. The Quaife datasheets show the inner diameter of the xD differential inputs as 28mm, the Yaris as 27mm.

**Edit**

Some quick math with a gear/spline theory worksheet gives an outer diameter of 1.041" on the Yaris splines, 1.1" on the xD. No idea how big the shafts are past that, but a trip to the junk yard with some calipers would tell you.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 01-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #36
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Like Cranky said....visually they are also just a little bigger.

Like my Corolla exhaust....the ID is 46mm, Yaris is 40mm