Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #37
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I found Korean MSDS require full component disclosure and USA do not, so if you can search a MFG website for Korean MSDS (in your native language) you should see the syn %. Most all Major US 5w-30 FULL SYNTHETIC have less than 10% syn in them !!! Figure that BS out.
Time to brush up on my korean.

Though, in Korea, they prob don't give a rats ass in what goes in their car. Their aftermarket scene isn't that great.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #38
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
im pretty rough on Yarii so i tend to stick to synthetic myself..... been using royal purple in all my vehicles since............... well forever and ive never had an issue.
06 Vette, 08 Cobalt SS, ?? Civic Del Sol, 10 Audi TT
Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #39
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachryboles View Post
im pretty rough on Yarii so i tend to stick to synthetic myself..... been using royal purple in all my vehicles since............... well forever and ive never had an issue.
They say Royal Purple is famous in Japan...

..For blowing up engines.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #40
smell my finger

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
So conola oil I use to make popcorn is not what I should be using?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #41
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
The BIOSYN I use is veggie oil based.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #42
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I thought it was made from beef fat.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #43
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Damn...this oil thread has ended up just like every other oil thread. "My oil can beat up your oil". Who gives a sh!t?

The "best" oil is the one you're comfortable with. If you want to buy an $8 quart of oil, that's cool. But the person buying the Wal-Mart $1.99 special will be just fine using that as well. Any modern oil changed within a 5K interval will protect our engines just fine.

Good info ---> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Last edited by Billiam; 06-12-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #44
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Exactly.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #45
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Any modern oil changed within a 5K interval will protect our engines just fine.

yay for our side!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #46
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Damn...this oil thread has ended up just like every other oil thread. "My oil can beat up your oil". Who gives a sh!t?

The "best" oil is the one you're comfortable with. If you want to buy an $8 quart of oil, that's cool. But the person buying the Wal-Mart $1.99 special will be just fine using that as well. Any modern oil changed within a 5K interval will protect our engines just fine.

Thanks for that link. Great info about regular and synthetic oils, UOAs, etc...guess they're okay over there, but frowned on here at YW.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Who's frowning? It's just a frivolous expenditure that's really interesting to someone with a hobby interest in oil, like the posters over there. I'm very interested in the technical details of oils and lubrication myself. I've read whole textbooks on the subject and much of what's available online, and frequently lurk at Bob's forum. I'm just being the cranky SOB pointing out that it's unnecessary. There's got to be a devil's advocate or every poor soul who asks a question on oil will come away with the silly idea that synthetics are a panacea and that their Yaris probably won't make it across town without an engine rebuild on "dino" oil. But if you need something to obsess on, there are worse things to obsess over than oil.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #48
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
This may be better for a new thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using an oil stabilizer (like Lucas Oil)?

I've never bothered, but some people like to replace 1 quart of oil with Lucas Oil.

I know that if you have an automatic tranny that's slipping, this stuff works pretty well, but I've never put any in my engine.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #49
1stToyota

I wouldn't use a full qt, probably just 1 pint, and I'd use the synthetic Lucas oil additive if I used any, because it totally owns the regular stabilizer ...just kidding, but I wouldn't use their regular oil additive just because it's too thick.

I use their product a lot in p/s systems that are noisy and/or leaking.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Who's frowning? It's just a frivolous expenditure that's really interesting to someone with a hobby interest in oil, like the posters over there. I'm very interested in the technical details of oils and lubrication myself. I've read whole textbooks on the subject and much of what's available online, and frequently lurk at Bob's forum. I'm just being the cranky SOB pointing out that it's unnecessary. There's got to be a devil's advocate or every poor soul who asks a question on oil will come away with the silly idea that synthetics are a panacea and that their Yaris probably won't make it across town without an engine rebuild on "dino" oil. But if you need something to obsess on, there are worse things to obsess over than oil.
That wasn't really directed at you, but since the topic comes up all the time there must be interest here, not just Bob's forum. I just don't like it when those that loathe oil threads act like they don't know how to avoid them instead of polluting them with silly answers and cussing.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #51
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Oh yeah, we should be able to discuss things like this in a civil manner.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #52
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHatch08 View Post
This may be better for a new thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on using an oil stabilizer (like Lucas Oil)?

I've never bothered, but some people like to replace 1 quart of oil with Lucas Oil.

I know that if you have an automatic tranny that's slipping, this stuff works pretty well, but I've never put any in my engine.
Why would an oil need "stabilising" Just a way to sell crummy oil "byproducts" for big $$ to the uneducated masses. If you want a stable oil in the summer run Delo 400LE CJ4/SM in the "beater". I dont think the yaris would like it though
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #53
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
I was just curious if anyone tried it.

A friend's Ford Ranger was slipping bad and I told him to try some in his tranny, and it fixed it right up. I think that was like 2-3 years ago, and he hasn't touched the tranny since.

Plus has anyone seen that little Lucas Oil display thingy that they have inside some mechanics shops? It has 2 sides. One side is regular oil. The other side with Lucas Oil. Both sides have a set of gears with little hand cranks. You crank both sides and you watch *miraculously* as the liquid on the Lucas Oil side "climbs" up the gears. Ooooh. Impressive.

Well not really ... but I've still wondered if it works well in engines.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #54
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
....just don't like it when those that loathe oil threads act like they don't know how to avoid them instead of polluting them with silly answers and cussing.
I assume you're referring to my post. I figured most of us are adults and a couple of minor curse words wouldn't offend, especially given the language used by other around here. I never said that I "loathe oil threads"...though the apparent lack of search skills by many is puzzling to me. As for my "silly" answer? I provided a link to back up my comment about what the "best" oil is.

So...if I can't beat 'em...I'll join 'em.

MY OIL CAN BEAT UP YOUR OIL!!!!
Closed Thread