Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Northwest
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
A question to members from WA

Long story short, the question I am trying to ask you guys is about speeding ticket.

Last summer, on my way back from Seatac, I received a speeding ticket from I-5. (1AM at night, missed the construction zone speed limit sign, then ended up getting clocked while I was doing 90mph in the 60? 65? mph work zone)

Then, I couldn't show up to the court because I simply couldn't make it all the way down there for it.

I kinda really didn't bother about paying it up at first because it's not where I live (I live in BC). Also, here in BC, it is perfectly ok to ignore speeding tickets. You simply lose your right to drive, renew your driver's license, insure anything under your name, etc. That being so, I simply thought that it would be the same deal for Washington state.

Just until recently, I read a thread on a local forum made by this member who just got denied going across the border into WA for an outstanding violation ticket that he did not bother paying up, just like myself.

I thought it was okay as long as I am not behind the wheels (i.e. myself being a passenger of another person's car). I guess that's not the deal down there? I just wanted to make sure because I still do plan to go down there and I probably will since BC and WA are so close to each other. But if I am going to have troubles crossing the border even when I am not the driver, this sounds like a pain in the butt problem.

So, in short, please clarify this for me.

Can they arrest me for not paying the speeding ticket and deny the access to WA? Is it like a criminal act for not paying it up?

If so, I gotta pay this crap and suck it up :((
Thanks guys.

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
...you don't HAVE to pay it...

Just don't get a popo behind you running your plate (in your car). They'll pop you for a warrant...ESPECIALLY in the Kelso/Longview corridor. Also, just don't do anything SO stupid as to get pulled over in the first place...or say anything SO stupid as to have the officer ask for your ID. I don't seem to remember the police actually being able to deny you the liberty of movement by having a misdemeanor ticket. If that was the case, there'd be a lot of people not moving very far.

My message won't get through...like it doesn't for most ticket dodgers.

I suppose I'm one of the only people here who, if I received a ticket, would actually pay the damned thing without a fuss. I need to really stop looking at these posts. It's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

So, I apologize if I'm coming off as a little rough...some of the gurls on here can't seem to handle the blunt truth. I had to modify my original post so as to not flay anyone alive.

Last edited by sqcomp; 04-05-2010 at 04:47 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
...you don't HAVE to pay it...

Just don't get a popo behind you running your plate (in your car). They'll pop you for a warrant...ESPECIALLY in the Kelso/Longview corridor. Also, just don't do anything SO stupid as to get pulled over in the first place...or say anything SO stupid as to have the officer ask for your ID. I don't seem to remember the police actually being able to deny you the liberty of movement by having a misdemeanor ticket. If that was the case, there'd be a lot of people not moving very far.

My message won't get through...like it doesn't for most ticket dodgers.

I suppose I'm one of the only people here who, if I received a ticket, would actually pay the damned thing without a fuss. I need to really stop looking at these posts. It's a trainwreck waiting to happen.

So, I apologize if I'm coming off as a little rough...some of the gurls on here can't seem to handle the blunt truth. I had to modify my original post so as to not flay anyone alive.
I dunno, freedom of movement over state boarders (with a misdemeanor) is a lot different than freedom over country boarders. Foreigners are allowed into the country, it's not a right of theirs. I'm sure if the guy is at the boarder and they ask him for ID they will run it and find the incident... from then it'd just be a matter of what the political/financial lanscape at the time was, and if the officer was in a good mood.

He has to stop at the boarder, which is pretty much the same as being pulled over. I remember having both my passport, & my GF's passport asked for when we were coming back into Washington from Nelson, BC.... And at the time we were both WA state residents. I don't remember having any trouble getting into canada tho. Maybe it's easier to leave your country than it is to get back into your home country... make sure you're not smuggling stuff back... I dunno.

I'd call up the city and see what can be done, if they can lower the cost a bit if you send them a check.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
New Zealand boarder police do the same here ,
if you try and leave the country with outstanding fines ,
you are arrested, removed from the plane boarding area
and taken directly top holding cells , for a court appearance .
they do exactly the same thing when you are entering the country as well .
people are slowly learnning you break the law you must pay .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Truth...

I keep being a troll on these subjects. I don't see how you actually get a ticket in the Yaris. Perhaps I do but it's also an age issue I'm thinking. Whatever it is...good luck with fixing the issue.

Personally I would have paid it off.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Truth...

I keep being a troll on these subjects. I don't see how you actually get a ticket in the Yaris. Perhaps I do but it's also an age issue I'm thinking. Whatever it is...good luck with fixing the issue.

Personally I would have paid it off.
even a moped could earn a speeding ticket... maybe not on I-5... but in a school zone for sure... hehe.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
darkmoon87

i just paid the ticket because I ended up getting unexpected bonus paycheck from work...lol.

So from my research done, they may be able to detain you at the border but cannot arrest you or anything. What will most likely be happening is that you will be locked up in the border office building for an hour or two while they interrogate and / or search your car and treat you like shit (which is fine since they r just doing their job)

And, when you get pulled over or go through road block or anything while you are driving, since they have a warrent for arrest set out under your name, you will be sent to the cell and won't be able to get out until you settle your fine on the spot.

So....the lesson? Don't fuck around with US law because it will come and get you sooner or later.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Hey, I know we all hate to throw money away like this. Hopefully we can see you down here more often. Are you going to do the St. Helens cruise with us?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #9
darkmoon87

Didn't even know about that meet, but I looked into it, and it looks hella fun.

I will seriously consider driving down there. Looks like it's gonna be worth 3 hours of driving down from here

Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon87 View Post
Didn't even know about that meet, but I looked into it, and it looks hella fun.

I will seriously consider driving down there. Looks like it's gonna be worth 3 hours of driving down from here
I plan on driving 2 hrs up to Portland to meet up with the Portland crowd, then however long it takes to reach St. Helens from there. It'll be fun, last year I couldn't make it because of a dog with failing health, but i'm going to do everything in my power to make this one, even if it means I have to bring my little puppy with me.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm planning on being there...

Right now I'm up at Ft. Lewis starting my demobilization from Iraq...
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
I'm planning on being there...

Right now I'm up at Ft. Lewis starting my demobilization from Iraq...
Cool, i'll be in portland this weekend, Going to a Cirque Du Solei show on sunday, but we're going to get a wedding dress fitted (for her) and stay at a bed & breakfast I think on saturday.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...Dang it! I'd meet you two for lunch or something if I could. I'm locked down at Lewis until the 20th.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
cutter
Cutter

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback 5-speed
Hi ... just found this site. I drive a 2007 yaris 5-speed hatchback. Most driving is in & around Seattle, with its many hills & frequently slick streets. Several times starting from stop on a steep hill -- especially, but not always, if pavement's a little wet -- it won't get traction. Front wheels spin, tires get hot, back end is a bit squirrelly. has anyone had similar problems?
cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Hi ... just found this site. I drive a 2007 yaris 5-speed hatchback. Most driving is in & around Seattle, with its many hills & frequently slick streets. Several times starting from stop on a steep hill -- especially, but not always, if pavement's a little wet -- it won't get traction. Front wheels spin, tires get hot, back end is a bit squirrelly. has anyone had similar problems?
what is your current tread depth on your tires?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
what is your current tread depth on your tires?
yeah... i'd look at tread, or possibly get wider tires. Seattle hills can be a pita. When I was in portland a few weeks back There was a time I had some issue starting from a stop at the top of a very steep hill. Was afraid to just drop the clutch, even when the engine was at 2,500rpm, was afraid if I didn't ride the clutch that the thing would stall. I could see seattle having a few spots like that, and wet streets would not help at all. Wider tires for sure, they will also help with stability when it gets windy and you are driving down I-5 or I-90
Old 04-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Yeah I have issues in Seattle in the rain on the hills with new tires......you get used to it in time.

The ST Helens run is gonna be fun,I also will be doing some cooking for it,and let me tell you I can cook.....

Hope to see a nice Yari turnout......the Scions see us as their missing link in the family chain.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote