Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Yaris Hybrid headlight and tail light compatibility

I have a 2014 US spec LE 4 door model. I recently discovered the fact that Toyota has a hybrid model of the Yaris in other countries. I also noticed that these models have really awesome looking headlights and tail lights. I want them!

Based on their basic outward appearance and shape, they look like they would fit any 12-14 US spec model as far as mounting locations, bolt holes, etc (but not the face-lifted 15+ models)

Are these actually compatible with US spec cars though? Any idea where I could get them? I need these in my life! I found an eBay posting for tail lights but no headlights. I’m going to hit up my local dealer to see what I can find. The search continues...

eBay Hybrid model tail lights
https://www.ebay.com/i/162472672119

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:11 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
The taillights will probably need to be repinned and spliced into a USDM connector.

Headlights will not have the correct cutoff and you'll just end up blinding oncoming traffic here.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
The taillights will probably need to be repinned and spliced into a USDM connector.

Headlights will not have the correct cutoff and you'll just end up blinding oncoming traffic here.

Repinning is fine. I can do all the necessary testing to figure out which pins is what, etc.

Headlights can be adjusted can’t they?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Repinning is fine. I can do all the necessary testing to figure out which pins is what, etc.

Headlights can be adjusted can’t they?

Then I say go for it if you really want those taillights.

The only way to "adjust" a RHD headlight is to take it apart, and maybe flip the cutoff the other way. If that's not possible, then you would have to retrofit another set of LHD projectors (I'd look at the Retrofit Source for that).
Old 10-09-2017, 02:19 AM   #5
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Then I say go for it if you really want those taillights.

The only way to "adjust" a RHD headlight is to take it apart, and maybe flip the cutoff the other way. If that's not possible, then you would have to retrofit another set of LHD projectors (I'd look at the Retrofit Source for that).

Crap, it didn’t even occur to me that Hybrid models are probably RHD... hmm. Does that mean one headlight aims differently than the other? I thought they were more or less aimed the same way? What is this “cutoff” exactly?

I’m not necessarily wanting the headlights because they are projectors, I like them overall with the integration of the LEDs, etc.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

So you can see why you would end up blinding oncoming traffic with RHD headlights.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 AM   #7
m.flores.0928

Yaris Hybrid headlight and tail light compatibility

Quote:

So you can see why you would end up blinding oncoming traffic with RHD headlights.

I see. I get the idea now. That first picture though is literally just a flipped copy of itself.

Anyway, I see. Well, can’t one of them be aimed down and one of them aimed up? I thought this cutoff was decided just by aiming them.

I recall seeing a LHD Yaris Hybrid somewhere around this forum, let me go see if I can find it

Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Nope, if you aim them down enough to not blind oncoming cars, you'll have a useless headlight as you'll only throw the light maybe 20 feet in front of the car.

If they had a Yaris HSD in a LHD country, then your best bet is to find/source headlights from one that was destined for that country. lol.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Also, does your current Yaris have DRL's? If so, then you'll have to repin it to the LEDs. If not, then you'll have to get creative on how you would want to turn on the LEDs. You'll also need a wire harness adapter (if they make one that goes from H4 [assuming that's what the 14s had] to what ever bulb base the Yaris HSD projector uses.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:54 AM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Nope, if you aim them down enough to not blind oncoming cars, you'll have a useless headlight as you'll only throw the light maybe 20 feet in front of the car.

If they had a Yaris HSD in a LHD country, then your best bet is to find/source headlights from one that was destined for that country. lol.

Gotcha

Yea I’ll keep looking.

Yes, my car has “DRL”, which is a position on my headlight switch. DRL in the “on” position just means my low beams are on, that’s it. It’s nota separate bulb or function. The LEDs in the Hybrid headlight presumably are the DRL, whereas the projector beam is the low/high beam separately.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:01 AM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
There are in fact Yaris Hybrids with left hand drive. They are all over Europe, so it should be possible to source the headlights from there.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:01 AM   #12
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
There are in fact Yaris Hybrids with left hand drive. They are all over Europe, so it should be possible to source the headlights from there.

Any idea how? I was simply going to ask a local dealer if they could help me out

Old 10-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #13
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
You are going to have to find a company or person over there. Toyota USA does not stock and will not procure non US model parts, even if they are made by Toyota. I went thru this when I was trying to find mirror covers for my integrated mirror turn signal mod. I used a Japanese supplier but that won't work for you as Japan is RHD. I'm sure there's got to be something similar available somewhere in Europe but I don't have any idea who that is. Good luck.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:06 AM   #14
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
You are going to have to find a company or person over there. Toyota USA does not stock and will not procure non US model parts, even if they are made by Toyota. I went thru this when I was trying to find mirror covers for my integrated mirror turn signal mod. I used a Japanese supplier but that won't work for you as Japan is RHD. I'm sure there's got to be something similar available somewhere in Europe but I don't have any idea who that is. Good luck.

Thanks! It will be a slow process but I’m sure I’ll report back whenever I make progress

Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #15
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
I have talen a Quick look and there isnt any lhd hybrid headlamps for sale yet.
You Can search eBay.de its called scheinwerfer in german.
But you might also need bumper and helmet i Think there is difference.
And the worst is these projectors have really poor light with the original HIR2 halogen bulb.
So you will have to find HID or LED to get Good light.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #16
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
I have talen a Quick look and there isnt any lhd hybrid headlamps for sale yet.
You Can search eBay.de its called scheinwerfer in german.
But you might also need bumper and helmet i Think there is difference.
And the worst is these projectors have really poor light with the original HIR2 halogen bulb.
So you will have to find HID or LED to get Good light.

What do you mean “bumper and helmet”?

Old 10-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
What do you mean “bumper and helmet”?

I'm assuming he is talking about the crash bar/bumper reinforcement and/or brackets.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
m.flores.0928

Quote:
I'm assuming he is talking about the crash bar/bumper reinforcement and/or brackets.

Aha, I see. Well, I would be able to know if there are differences if I could see the backsides of the housings.