Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #37
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
yea, OEM parts are expensive. Especially for the yaris because there is a tiny aftermarket, especially especially because these parts are not original to USDM so of course they're 500+ each corner, unfortunately

my initial post had an eBay link with the black bezel lights, but I didn't find a part number. I'll keep snooping.
okie dokie o3o

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:26 AM   #38
HolsonY

Drives: None
Good stuff here!

Questions
  • Are these Euro hybrid headlights LED projectors or are they just halogen projectors?
  • Has anyone actually got these to work on a US Model w/ DRLs?

I'm thinking of picking up a 2018 3 dr LE and I'd like to put a set of these projector headlights. if they're halogens, I'd probably look into retrofitting HID projectors in their place.
HolsonY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #39
HolsonY

Drives: None
For the weekend, I am driving a US spec 2017 Yaris L rental with the H4 halogen reflector headlights. I assume the circuitry has not changed much and the 2018's the same too.

Here are my findings:
  • Confirmed as IllusionX mentioned (Thanks!) that DRL is pulse width modulated low beam (not quite as bright as full intensity)
  • The headlight does not have a single harness like in some other cars, each bulb/light has its own connector (see pic of the H4 connector for the low/high beam light)

Add'l Assumptions:
  • The turn signal connector is the same between the projector and non projector headlights
  • The LED DRL has its own connector (12V)
  • The OEM halogen HIR2 / 9012 project is a bi-halogen projector and has a trigger input for the shield solenoid for high beam and flash to pass
  • We don't want to cut up the standard wiring harness
  • Difficult or impossible to just get a headlight harness and reprogram the ECU. I don't know if the wiring harness for the headlight is a short one that can be replaced with the SE one and reprogram the ECU.

I think to make the conversion work with above assumptions we would need something to split the low beam and DRL signals. I've drafted it in the attached diagram (apologies to EE's out there for the non-EE shapes and lines!)

Question is... how do you split the low beam and DRL correctly. A quick search yielded nothing but I assume such a box can be made or purchased.

If I were going to do this, I would probably swap out the HIR2 projector with either an LED or HID projector. In fact, the more I think about this... buying an SE is probably a better approach! Now what if one wants a 2Dr?

Thoughts/Comments on assumptions/approach?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3665.JPG (163.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: gif Yaris Conversion.gif (12.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by HolsonY; 12-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.
HolsonY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #40
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I'm not sure if the later models DRL module is the same as my 07. If you could find where the signal comes from, then you could just reroute it to anything you like.

Mine is wired to the fog lights for DRL.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk