Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #55
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
cabin fever, hehe.

I don't see why there is even a discussion. YW has what it has to offer, and the Mods can only do what they can do. We have this same conversation over and over.

I enjoy my time here, but I will say this, when the site doesn't come up after a couple of tries in the morning, now I just pass on it til much later or the next day. This is causing me to be late replying to PM's.

This IS affecting YW, at least my experience of it. PK I hope you're not saying this recurring downtime doesn't frustrate the hell out of you.

Maybe the owner should post hours of operation.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #56
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
May be a hassle , but it's still very helpful compared to other YARIS sites . Hopefully it won't take a crap one of these days . Would miss it .

Last edited by Hershey; 02-20-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #57
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Also as per the outages, it looks more and more like a persistent DoS attack,by a certain recently banned member who has the infrastructure to do so, even though no real skills are necessary to pull it off.
If he's using equipment at work, I sure hope his employers don't find out... (hint hint)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #58
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Dingobat ?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #59
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

Maybe the owner should post hours of operation.
It's worse than bankers hours on here.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #60
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
nah the server takes 14 hours lunch breaks...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #61
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I can completely understand DoS attacks and the likes as I am an IT Security Professional as part of my portfolio as well as the challenges that are behind them. For this I sympathize however the perception of complete lack of interest by the owners is the issue at large here. Sure, one could argue that if the owners were to publish something in regards to successful penetration attacks that it feeds the offending party however the lack of informing the community is just as egregious IMHO as a credit card company not releasing information that they were penetrated.

Can people argue with my logic? Sure, but when you look at home important the great knowledge base is here for Yaris members and prospective members I don't see how you cannot compare the two. A primary example could be the plethora of knowledge when it comes to working with the electrical systems that has been shared here which provide excellent lessons learned so that others do not fry their systems, etc.

The bottom line is that cohesion of members as well as the level of frustration will be directly affected by the level of participation by those most critical to the operation of this site, be it lacking or on the minute responses. The first glaring evidence that the owners have their own agenda outside of the community was what happened from the first time they fired up the site which is a mistake unfortunately made by too many people. This mistake is not setting up a true back-up solution. If people really want to hold someone accountable in the digital age then they need to look at the purveyor of the service to be blunt, not the parties involved in penetration and degradation.

Would my stance change if perhaps there would be some type of notification to the members that something illegal and heinous is causing the site to be degraded possibly to the point of less than 50% up-time? Yes it would. Knowing what is going on is half the battle. We don't need to know the nuances behind what is happening, but having the owners at least chime in as they did after the hack would instill some modicum of care/concern passed the fact that the site could be or is a cash cow for the owner.

I would have hoped that possibly the owners would be informed somehow or some way that threads like mine are springing up from truly concerned members so that there could be some type of response other than the mods being forced into a corner to defend the site. My goal is not to cause dissension nor destroy cohesion...it is to voice a real concern for the well being of a place that I for the last several years have been proud to have "advertising" such as the yarisworld.com sticker on my automobile. I take this place seriously and all I ask in return quite frankly is that the owners do too otherwise why bother calling it "Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site".

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #62
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Well said:

Quote:
My goal is not to cause dissension nor destroy cohesion...it is to voice a real concern for the well being of a place that I for the last several years have been proud to have "advertising" such as the yarisworld.com sticker on my automobile.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #63
Kal-El

Maybe the government is now running this site? That's the only thing that could explain the crappy operation.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #64
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I can completely understand DoS attacks and the likes as I am an IT Security Professional as part of my portfolio as well as the challenges that are behind them. For this I sympathize however the perception of complete lack of interest by the owners is the issue at large here. Sure, one could argue that if the owners were to publish something in regards to successful penetration attacks that it feeds the offending party however the lack of informing the community is just as egregious IMHO as a credit card company not releasing information that they were penetrated.

Can people argue with my logic? Sure, but when you look at home important the great knowledge base is here for Yaris members and prospective members I don't see how you cannot compare the two. A primary example could be the plethora of knowledge when it comes to working with the electrical systems that has been shared here which provide excellent lessons learned so that others do not fry their systems, etc.

The bottom line is that cohesion of members as well as the level of frustration will be directly affected by the level of participation by those most critical to the operation of this site, be it lacking or on the minute responses. The first glaring evidence that the owners have their own agenda outside of the community was what happened from the first time they fired up the site which is a mistake unfortunately made by too many people. This mistake is not setting up a true back-up solution. If people really want to hold someone accountable in the digital age then they need to look at the purveyor of the service to be blunt, not the parties involved in penetration and degradation.

Would my stance change if perhaps there would be some type of notification to the members that something illegal and heinous is causing the site to be degraded possibly to the point of less than 50% up-time? Yes it would. Knowing what is going on is half the battle. We don't need to know the nuances behind what is happening, but having the owners at least chime in as they did after the hack would instill some modicum of care/concern passed the fact that the site could be or is a cash cow for the owner.

I would have hoped that possibly the owners would be informed somehow or some way that threads like mine are springing up from truly concerned members so that there could be some type of response other than the mods being forced into a corner to defend the site. My goal is not to cause dissension nor destroy cohesion...it is to voice a real concern for the well being of a place that I for the last several years have been proud to have "advertising" such as the yarisworld.com sticker on my automobile. I take this place seriously and all I ask in return quite frankly is that the owners do too otherwise why bother calling it "Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site".

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #65
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
seriously...bring politics into it like we don't have enough drama as is
Wasn't the intention, just a funny joke.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #66
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I would consider myself to be an OG member here. I can say that after the hack, the site was no longer the same. I cannot pinpoint why, just the "atmosphere" changed.

But I can say that I do like the fact that YW is pretty chill. A few other forums I'm in are really overly strict and the mods/admins there have power trips; i.e. I posted my charity car show event and was threatened to be banned (and the admin has his own charity event under his signature). I think the mods are doing a good job, even if we don't really see the majority of them post. I mean, I myself do not post much now-a-days unlike before when I was the top poster on the site

However, the lack of concern by the admins is well, concerning.

uhhh, I actually forgot where I was going with this. Danggit, was chatting with the family while posting this. lmao.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #67
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I only post here to mainly answer members' questions now. hahaha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #68
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Admin has to do something about it.

Like fnkngrv has said/been doing, I and many others sport YarisWorld.com decals on our cars.

About a month ago, I had a random guy notice my car, first time seeing it, etc. etc. etc...at the end of the conversation, I gave the direct website to this place as well as my email address if he had any questions.

He registered (i forget what name...) but really enjoyed reading all the information on here and was pleased with how the members here help one another. He really wants to convey his wife to get the Yaris over the Mini Cooper. <--I'm glad i could help him out.

For our pride of showing others that this site exists and what a great place it is....at least the admin could step it up and hand the site over to someone else.

We have a ton of international members here, most recently...Aiko Cargo, who has been a great help to some members here in finding parts and shipping them out to them!
With the site going down every other day or so....WE LOSE THESE GREAT MEMBERS!
Migrating the people over to MicroImage is a difficult task, speaking truthfully on that~

I'm not jumping ship like the others....afterall, NCVC was born on these forums..slowly.

If the site goes offline more often then these previous times....i will have to jump ship, even though this is my first pit stop when it comes to car problems, inspirations, etc.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #69
Kal-El

What's particularly surprising is that the forum never got the expected big boost from the new generation model. It's possible that it may still grow around here as the new model gains steam but so far it's just not happening.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #70
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i think most people appreciate the site at least for the info regardless of how slow or fast its running. its not the end of the world. some one posted something along these lines up above im just to lazy to scroll and quote
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #71
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Maybe the government is now running this site? That's the only thing that could explain the crappy operation.
Maybe.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (6).JPG (99.8 KB, 74 views)

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #72
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ha, thanks for pointing out yet another missing feature. meh.