Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
engine knocking when accelerating

These days I notice my Yaris Sedan gets engine knocking when the car is accelerating.

My car gets 10,000 miles already and I am using Sam's Club 85 gas. In Utah's Sam's Club, we only have 85 and 91 as options.

I have been using Sam's fuel for two month and just notice this problem these days...

Is there any problem with using 85 fuel in Sam's? Do I need to switch to 91 in Sam's or another gas station?

Thanks a lot!!
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
Minimum rating is 87... hence the knock. Try a higher octane.
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
hans_fh

It is really harmful if I kept using 85 for over 7 months? In Utah, most stations have 85 as the lowest option which is called unleaded gas...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
it's only harmful if it's actually knocking that whole time, but you really should run 87 in it.
do not let it continue to knock unless you want to replace the engine soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
hans_fh

Oh MY GOD!! I DON"T EVEN KNOW THAT I SHOULD USE 87fuel....

WILL CAR BE REALLY DAMAGED BECAUSE I KEPT USING 85 BEFORE??? I WILL SWITCH TO 91 IMMEDIATELY!!! WE ONLY HAVE 85 and 91. HOWEVER, WHEN I GET THE CAR FROM THE DEALERSHIP OCTOBER, THE SALESPERSON TOLD ME JUST USE THE CHEAPEST FUEL.

OH MINE!!!! CAN ANYBODY KILL ME? I AM SO SAD......

WILL THE SITUATION GETS BETTER WHEN I SWITCH TO 91 TOMORROW????

UPDATE:

I JUST CALLED THE SALESPERSON TONIGHT, HE TOLD ME UTAH IS ON HIGHER SEA LEVEL SO THAT 85 IS FINE FOR MOST OF CARS. HE IS BS!!! ANYWAY I WILL SWITCH TO 91 AT CHEVRON TOMORROW.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I have never heard of anything under 87 octane, and does anyone know of a car that runs that at minumum other then a Chevy Colt or a Ford Fiesta.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Capagotks
Chode

Drives: Silver 5 Door YRX 1.5L I4
Send a message via MSN to Capagotks
in australia, we get 91, 95 and 98. didnt think that it went that low these days...

only use the lower octane for older cars with the smaller compression ratio. the standard it about 9.5-11:1, depending on what car it is (economy-sports respectively)
Capagotks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 AM   #8
Edd

Drives: None
Capagotks, in Australia we use a RON number. Americans, who love to be different, use (RON+MON)÷2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).
Link.

So basically our fuels are the same as the ones in the US. Europe have better fuels than both of us.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 AM   #9
Capagotks
Chode

Drives: Silver 5 Door YRX 1.5L I4
Send a message via MSN to Capagotks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Capagotks, in Australia we use a RON number. Americans, who love to be different, use (RON+MON)÷2.

Link.

So basically our fuels are the same as the ones in the US. Europe have better fuels than both of us.
my bad...
Capagotks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_fh View Post
I JUST CALLED THE SALESPERSON TONIGHT, HE TOLD ME UTAH IS ON HIGHER SEA LEVEL SO THAT 85 IS FINE FOR MOST OF CARS. HE IS BS!!! ANYWAY I WILL SWITCH TO 91 AT CHEVRON TOMORROW.
He's right. At higher elevations, an engine needs less octane fuel to prevent knock. It has to do with the lower density. Thats also why you can't compare quartermile times at different elevations.

You're probally getting knock because of the summer heat. Hot air explodes easier than cooler air. Thats why You run richer in the winter and leaner in the summer - but the computer corrects for it. Also thats why carbs need to be retuned every season to run the best.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
Yeah, proly use better gas from now on. Take it to dealer if you hear that noise again. Good luck!
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
The car has a knock sensor so your car should be fine. even 87 is questionable with 10.5:1 comp,you will be losing power also from the ecu pulling timing. I've been running 91 and it does feel more powerfull in the midrange.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
He's right. At higher elevations, an engine needs less octane fuel to prevent knock. It has to do with the lower density. Thats also why you can't compare quartermile times at different elevations.

You're probally getting knock because of the summer heat. Hot air explodes easier than cooler air. Thats why You run richer in the winter and leaner in the summer - but the computer corrects for it. Also thats why carbs need to be retuned every season to run the best.
True, I usually run with regulars gas (which is 87 Octane), but if a heat wave is coming, I'll switch to Premium to help the engine run as cool as possible (engine knocking does generate extra heat).

I haven't notice any real advantages with performance (premium vs regular), however on occasion, the engine will feel a little more sluggish then usual, but those isolate occurrence only happen when I'm running on regular gas (probably caused by a bad batch gas, with octane level lower then the required 87).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #14
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRBlue View Post
He's right. At higher elevations, an engine needs less octane fuel to prevent knock. ........
Haven't heard that one before????? Who told you that?????
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #15
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
This is just for information and reference (please refer to Post #3849 thereof):
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...her%20altitude
I can't judge the validity of all the comments.

Edit: Here is another link:
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte..._car_knock.pdf
Middle of Page 2 thereof is relevant.

Last edited by swng; 07-04-2007 at 01:30 AM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #16
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
This is just for information and reference (please refer to Post #3849 thereof):
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...her%20altitude
I can't judge the validity of all the comments.

Edit: Here is another link:
http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte..._car_knock.pdf
Middle of Page 2 thereof is relevant.
Thanks for the reply....I agree with these links, which basically say the thinner air at high altitudes gives the same effect as lowering the compression ratio (which also means less power) in your engine. I wouldn't use 85 octane even in my ex wifes car though.