Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Blowtorch

Drives: 2009 Yaris, Silver Sedan
One week review after buying new Yaris

Bought the 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan last week on Saturday. Been driving it for one week now. Here are some thoughts. Feedback is of course appreciated.

- Where's the new car smell? The car had probably been on the lot since December and already had 29 miles when leaving the dealership, so it may have been test drove many times, but still disappointing that the new car smell almost ceases to exist.

- There could be more space by the gas pedal. It's too close to the right panel. I drove an Alero before, so maybe that had more space than most cars, but when driving the Yaris, my foot feels cramped between the right panel and the brake to the left.

- Not a huge sound junkie, but I like having a few options to alter the radio sound and speakers. Not a big deal, but still disappointing that the radio is so basic. The Sedan S has a better radio, it seems.

- I hate not having a cup holder in the center council (there is one, but its far back, not really accessible easily while driving.

- I do find the seat to be a little uncomfortable, but not horrible. I did recently hurt my upper back so I may be a bit biased. GM cars normally have had better seats, in my opinion.

These are just minor tiffs. So far, I think the Yaris an alright car. I didn't buy it cause it's a cool car, I bought it cause I want excellent gas mileage and Toyota makes excellent cars. My dad kind of strongly encouraged me to get the Yaris, especially cause Toyota was offering 0% financing. Yeah, that's a steel, but I'm kind of having regrets on not at least looking at the Honda Civic. My fiance bought one 4 weeks ago, and that is REALLY a nice car!

I do like the plenty of space to store small things, around the radio council, in the doors, etc. Decent sized trunk. Not bad.

It rides nice so far... so we'll see what happens. If it's reliable, I'll overall be very happy.
Blowtorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
nerp

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Meteorite Metallic
It will grow on you.
nerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Wow, that's odd, as my hatch is over six months old and it still has that new car smell!

Maybe you should've gotten a hatch!

And I've had no problems with my back, despite having trouble with it in the past. But it is important to remember the Yaris is an entry-level subcompact, so you won't get a lot of bells and whistles on it unless you add them (which is why mod'ing it is so much fun). But it is a great car, fun to drive and gets really good gas mileage, which is what it was designed for.

As for the Civic, I deliberately avoided them despite liking them as everywhere you look you see them. I've owned numerous Hondas, several Accords and a Odyssey at the moment, and they tend to start coming apart after 5-6 years. The VWs I own lasted a bit longer (8-10 years) and were much more solid. I think Toyotas are a bit better built than the Honda, but not as much as the VWs; but I expect to get a good 8-10 years out of my Yaris. I definitely expect to get my money's worth out of it!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I've owned numerous Hondas, several Accords and a Odyssey at the moment, and they tend to start coming apart after 5-6 years. The VWs I own lasted a bit longer (8-10 years) and were much more solid. I think Toyotas are a bit better built than the Honda, but not as much as the VWs; but I expect to get a good 8-10 years out of my Yaris. I definitely expect to get my money's worth out of it!
Cheers! M2
You are a statistical anomaly. VW isn't even in the same ballpark of quality that toyota and honda are.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
I too lost the new car smell from my 07 sedan about a week into ownership. Don't know where it went. My wifes 07 civic with 57000 on it still has the new car smell. Go figure.

Gas pedal issue will grow on you unless you have size 42 feet. LOL

The seat will take some time getting use to until you have it adjusted to your liking. I too have a bad back and had to play with the adjustments, up and down, back and forth and the recline position. It took me about 2 weeks to get it adjusted for comfort.

The radio you will have to live with unless you upgrade it to an aftermarket one. I got the upgraded toyota radio in mine because I got the upgraded package and interior.

Having dropped down from a midsize SUV I've been very pleased with my Yaris sedan. I'm averaging about 41 mpg in combined driving, down from the 18 was getting in my 4 x 4, and have done no work on the car except for the oil and filter changes every 5000 miles. I have almost 53000 on mine now.

Enjoy the car. And yes I know your liking for the civic as my wife owns an 07 LX and I find it's harder to get into than my Yaris. When we go on a road trip we take mine because of its confort.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Weyweyjenn
Yaris owner wanna be

Drives: Yaris
Just got my new Hatch back 5dr LE with enhance package 3 days ago~ the new car smell goes through my garage and goes into my whole 1st floor...lol...

But ya, I dont really like their sound system....feels like it has no base...

But I love it over all!!
Weyweyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
You are a statistical anomaly. VW isn't even in the same ballpark of quality that toyota and honda are.
Bullshit! Having twenty years of VW ownership under my belt, I can tell you that the VWs I have owned have held up better than the Hondas I have owned. They are solid cars and I would've bought another one but I was looking for a good affordable commuter car and after driving a Yaris sedan for a rental, I decided to try the hatchback.

I love my Yaris but it doesn't come close to the solid feel that our VWs had. Same goes with our Honda, a $35K Odyssey that is definitely more "thin-skinned" than our VWs.

Had the new Jetta sportwagon diesels been a little more competitively priced, we would have had one of those parked in the driveway; but I did the numbers and realized the price difference wouldn't have paid itself off even after ten years.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
I've had my hatch for over a year and when I clean out the interior and give it a good vacuuming I still can smell a hint of the new car scent. Must be a HB thing, since everyone on here with a sedan says they can't smell it anymore.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I've had my 2009 Yaris LB for almost four months now and the new car smell is still there.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowtorch View Post
Bought the 2009 Toyota Yaris sedan last week on Saturday. Been driving it for one week now. Here are some thoughts. Feedback is of course appreciated.

- Where's the new car smell? The car had probably been on the lot since December and already had 29 miles when leaving the dealership, so it may have been test drove many times, but still disappointing that the new car smell almost ceases to exist.

- There could be more space by the gas pedal. It's too close to the right panel. I drove an Alero before, so maybe that had more space than most cars, but when driving the Yaris, my foot feels cramped between the right panel and the brake to the left.

- Not a huge sound junkie, but I like having a few options to alter the radio sound and speakers. Not a big deal, but still disappointing that the radio is so basic. The Sedan S has a better radio, it seems.

- I hate not having a cup holder in the center council (there is one, but its far back, not really accessible easily while driving.

- I do find the seat to be a little uncomfortable, but not horrible. I did recently hurt my upper back so I may be a bit biased. GM cars normally have had better seats, in my opinion.

These are just minor tiffs. So far, I think the Yaris an alright car. I didn't buy it cause it's a cool car, I bought it cause I want excellent gas mileage and Toyota makes excellent cars. My dad kind of strongly encouraged me to get the Yaris, especially cause Toyota was offering 0% financing. Yeah, that's a steel, but I'm kind of having regrets on not at least looking at the Honda Civic. My fiance bought one 4 weeks ago, and that is REALLY a nice car!

I do like the plenty of space to store small things, around the radio council, in the doors, etc. Decent sized trunk. Not bad.

It rides nice so far... so we'll see what happens. If it's reliable, I'll overall be very happy.
The seat in my $53,000, 2009 Corvette was less supportive and less comfortable than the seat in my Yaris. (And the seat in a new $16K Honda fit is vastly superior to both.)

The photo below depicts the entire driver's seat suspension and cushion foam from my 2009 Corvette; I paid an upholsterer $850 to rebuild the entire seat just so I could sit in it.

The factory sound system has to go; a good upholsterer can do wonders for the seat for a relatively small sum of money.

TRD suspension parts will utterly transform the car's ride/handling.

See my signature below for details.

It's really a shame that Toyota doesn't offer a Factory TRD package that includes the 1.8 liter engine, TRD suspension parts, a leather wrapped steering wheel with TRD shifter knob, a Toyota/JBL stereo and 16" X 6.5" alloys fitted with larger rubber. Such a package for around $16,000 MSRP would be nice. I'd likely trade mine for one.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)

Last edited by 427chev; 05-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Bullshit! Having twenty years of VW ownership under my belt, I can tell you that the VWs I have owned have held up better than the Hondas I have owned. They are solid cars and I would've bought another one but I was looking for a good affordable commuter car and after driving a Yaris sedan for a rental, I decided to try the hatchback.

I love my Yaris but it doesn't come close to the solid feel that our VWs had. Same goes with our Honda, a $35K Odyssey that is definitely more "thin-skinned" than our VWs.

Had the new Jetta sportwagon diesels been a little more competitively priced, we would have had one of those parked in the driveway; but I did the numbers and realized the price difference wouldn't have paid itself off even after ten years.
My brother never had luck with his VWs
His first two both came delivered with one front turn signal lens hanging, which dealer didn't fix until asked. 3rd one vibrated so bad at idle it'd eat up radios on a yearly basis. Visor clips always broke, underhood plastics (connectors, air inlet, etc...) always breaking, leaks galore...owned 4 and all 4 had extended stays @ dealership for one thing or another. I was into Hondas at the time, 2 Preludes with less than 110hp, never went to the dealer, always beat the VWs when we raced. 3 people I know each drive a Passat (1 V6, 2 4cyl turbo) all have blown their motors, only 1 got it covered under warranty.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowtorch View Post

Mine still gets that new car smell even two years later, gotta keep it clean!

I've noticed this too ..... :/

Sound is good for me but the rattling is not great at all in the front door panels

The vent cup holders are good enough for me, if not better! Cant complain about the lack of holders.... and the irony that the vent keep liquid both hot and cool !

they are O.K. not a long distance car.... but not uncomfy either... mine have been worn in a bit.

hmmm.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:

Sorry dude, but VW's are among the most problematic cars you can buy.

Find VW on the latest JD Power survey - (Hint: Head south).
Attached Images

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
Just for the record, I've had my sedan for 6 months and it still smells new.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainless twit View Post
Just for the record, I've had my sedan for 6 months and it still smells new.
Mine too Ms. Twit
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
Wow! I'm shocked at what people consider "issues" with vehicles! Try owning a Chevy or two, and then you'll be rolling out the red carpet into your Yaris.
In the past 3 years, I've owned a Trailblazer, Avalanche, and Tahoe (totalled due to 17 y/o running stop sign), and had nothing but trouble with all 3. The Trailblazer had issues with the 4wd, steering shaft, and the bushing on the right rear control arm. After having it for four weeks and driving it for about 5 days (it was in the shop for a cumulative of 25 days) I returned it for an Avalanche.
I drove the Avalanche for ONE DAY, then it was in the shop for a front left spring issue that sounded like I was driving a 1970 Cadalliac down the road. The 4wd drive went out on that one too. After about 6 months I became disgusted with the Avalanche, and traded it in for a Tahoe. After having the Tahoe for 3 weeks, the intermediate steering shaft had to be replaced due to excessive clunking when turning the steering wheel. Then the transmission started slipping. I would be at a stop light, and then hit the gas. It would rev to like 2500 rpm then it would catch the gear.
Once I got my insurance check for the accident, I bought a Yaris and haven't looked back.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by The little red pill View Post
Wow! I'm shocked at what people consider "issues" with vehicles! Try owning a Chevy or two, and then you'll be rolling out the red carpet into your Yaris.
In the past 3 years, I've owned a Trailblazer, Avalanche, and Tahoe (totalled due to 17 y/o running stop sign), and had nothing but trouble with all 3. The Trailblazer had issues with the 4wd, steering shaft, and the bushing on the right rear control arm. After having it for four weeks and driving it for about 5 days (it was in the shop for a cumulative of 25 days) I returned it for an Avalanche.
I drove the Avalanche for ONE DAY, then it was in the shop for a front left spring issue that sounded like I was driving a 1970 Cadalliac down the road. The 4wd drive went out on that one too. After about 6 months I became disgusted with the Avalanche, and traded it in for a Tahoe. After having the Tahoe for 3 weeks, the intermediate steering shaft had to be replaced due to excessive clunking when turning the steering wheel. Then the transmission started slipping. I would be at a stop light, and then hit the gas. It would rev to like 2500 rpm then it would catch the gear.
Once I got my insurance check for the accident, I bought a Yaris and haven't looked back.
Wow, that's quite a transition. Three behemoths to a Yaris LB?

So how come you kept on giving Chevy another chance after so much trouble?

Keep in mind though that the Yaris will only be trouble free for the first 300,000 miles.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The little red pill View Post
Check out the lovely seat cushion from my 2009 Corvette, as posted here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=10

I paid an upholsterer $850 to "reconstruct" the entire seat just so I could sit in it without my back killing me. The crap in that photo depicts GM's seat cushion parts!

The seat's were worse than my Yaris seats, even though the Corvette stickered for close to $54K and was fitted with the OPTIONAL (as extra cost) "sport seats."

The car went back to the dealerships 8 times in 9 weeks for a host of problems, including a wicked rattle they couldn't get rid of. The plastics inside were so CHEAP that the finish came off on the rag after I sprayed some "Fantastic" on it while attempting to clean some interior panels.

The stereo sounded like junk compared to the OEM stereos in my $25K '04 and '06 Honda Accords.

I could go on and on...

I sold the car and sucked up a $10K loss. That's how much I HATED that Corvette - GM's "halo car."

You're right - many people on this board don't know what a bad car really is. I know for sure that my Yaris is NOT a bad car - particularly with the few tweaks I've added.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote