Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Engine's running super smooth now...

The car has run beautifully since I got it but did a bit of a tach dance when idling; going from 600 - 850ish RPM, up and down.

Today I cleaned the MAF sensor (it went from black to shiny), throttle body and pcv valve. The jobs took a total of about 1.5 hours, but this is the first time, so it should go quicker subsequent times.

I used electrical cleaner for the MAF sensor and throttle body cleaner for the other two. I thoroughly cleaned the air box. The throttle body had some white corrosion under the hose, so I sanded that all smooth, cleaned up with electrical cleaner, and cleaned the entire hose assembly as well. Naturally, I stuffed a rag into the throttle body opening when sanding so as not to get any debris inside. To get at the inside of the TB, I turned the key on (engine not running) and set the gas pedal down with my son's hockey stick. The TB was fairly clean, the pcv valve cleaned up nicely too. It had a bit of oily carbon on it but nothing caked or gooey.

Not sure which of the procedures that I did that smoothed out the idle. In my uneducated opinon, most likely to least likely would be:

- MAF sensor
- throttle body
- pcv valve

I also sanded and painted the hose clamps.

To celebrate the job, my son and I took a couple of hour drive - lunch in between. What impresses me so much about this little car is its ability to climb long hills without losing speed and barely increasing pressure on the gas. I think I commented on all of this before, but, man, Toyota sure designed this car well! 106 HP, 103 ft/pd torque and sings along effortlessly and handles like nothing else I've owned. I said to my wife, it's like a little thoroughbred... it doesn't like to sit around...it just wants to go!

My only fear now is, after reading performance threads, I'm afraid I might get caught up in some more 'expensive' mods. Been reading about the rear away bar.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote