Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
S1-crysis

Drives: yaris 2004
timing chain help

hi all i apologise if there is alresdy a thread on this but from my searching i cant snt seem to find one. anyhow recently fitted a new engine to my yaris as the previous one had an issue with timing chain slip and then pistons met valves spark pluged died etc anyhow when fitting the new engine i decided it should have a new timing chain due to the engine being out only issue is iv had to re fit the chain about 7 or 8 times now because i cant remove all the slack no matter what i try. it will basicly be fitted tight seem all g00d everywhere then i manually rotate engine and then chain becomes lose then gos tight then loose etc the engine is a 2sz-fe 1.3 vvti if that helps. im currently under the impresion the tenshioner although new is causing the issue altho i do hav to turn the vvti camshaft back slightly due to it not wanting to stop tdc without me holding it there untill chain is tensioned thanx josh oh yh the timing chain kit is a dayco if that helps
S1-crysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I'm pretty sure the tensioner uses hydraulic pressure from a running engine to tighten the chain.

The tight-loose-tight is because of valve spring pressure wanting to hold each cam in one position as you rotate the assembly.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
S1-crysis

ok thank you iv managed to get hold a freind who is a mechanic who has said to basicly mke sure all the slack is on the left side of the timing chain and then when its all back together the hydrolic pressure should take the last little bit of slack up :) thank you for the reply and will hopefully have it all sorted tomorrow :)
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1-crysis View Post
ok thank you iv managed to get hold a freind who is a mechanic who has said to basicly mke sure all the slack is on the left side of the timing chain and then when its all back together the hydrolic pressure should take the last little bit of slack up :) thank you for the reply and will hopefully have it all sorted tomorrow :)
yes, as long as all your timing marks are lined up correctly everything should be fine.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris cam chain tensioner disabler mechanism

Did you do the rigamarole with the cam chain tensioner disabler mechanism during the chain replacement?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
S1-crysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Did you do the rigamarole with the cam chain tensioner disabler mechanism during the chain replacement?
yh i moved the link style pin thing doeb to loosen the tenshioner then pushed it in and locked it place with a rivot then from that sorted the chain relased it etc. iv since stripped and re did the chain got rid of all the slack and then realised after putting it all back together the echaust timing mark link is 1 tooth off i think meaning it runs like crap still lmao gna be stripping it all down again tomorrow and rectifying the issue hopefully will be all gd then thank you again for all the replys :)