Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #91
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
This is inaccurate. In both testing with our SGII's and as proven in the 3rd season of the Mythbusters television show, windows down is always more efficient than a/c at any speed.

In fact, with the SGII it is nigh impossible to read the drag hit of having the windows down, but turning on the a/c at any speed is an instant large and sustained hit to FE.
uh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2004_season)

Myth statement
Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down.

Status
Partly Busted

Notes
Tests were performed under varying conditions (55 miles per hour (89 km/h) versus 45 miles per hour (72 km/h)). Also, the 55 mph test was using a computer to estimate fuel efficiency based on air intake, not actual fuel consumption, and showed A/C was more efficient. The 45 mph test consisted of running the tank until it was empty, and showed open windows were more efficient. This experiment—or one like it—is sometimes cited by the Magliozzi Brothers on Car Talk when presented with this question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2005_season)

Myth statement
Running a car with air conditioning on is more fuel efficient than running with the windows down. (From AC vs. Windows Down)

Status
Partly Re-Busted/Partly Confirmed

Notes
The fundamental flaw in the MythBusters' test was that the point where the drag becomes powerful enough to inhibit a car's performance with windows down was inside their 45–55mph margin at 50mph. Going less than 50mph it is more efficient to leave the windows down, but going greater than 50mph it is more efficient to use the A/C.

The sad thing is I just pull stuff out of my ass most of the time, you write novels on this crap.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #92
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Interesting, yarrr, but that's not what is shown on the Mythbusters episode. My only mistake was calling it from 2003 rather than the revisit in 2005.

What they found in 2003 was so controversial that they revisited it in 2005 and got the totally opposite response. I'm not sure where the 50 MPG "barrier" idea came from as it's not in the episode (which I just watched again via Netflix) or on the Discovery web site. The only thing shown in the episode was that windows down beats a/c period, and this is what (I say again) consumer testing here on YW, CleanMPG and PriusChat have also shown.

If you don't believe me then get a ScanGauge of your own and go nuts.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #93
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I can't believe windows down beats AC in EVERY condition, but I'm not about to buy a Scangauge and do a bunch of testing, either.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #94
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
If gas was $10/gal, I'd still crank my AC. There's no way in hell I'm sweating my balls off on purpose. And I hate my windows down.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #95
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Well, It's been downright HOT here in Central PA... hazy, humid and no breeze! There has been three days of +95 degree temperature and one of those days close to 100 F!

I've been using A/C more than my usual increments. Around 90% of the time!
I thought this would kill my gas mileage, but it didn't. My Yaris actually does great in the HOT weather. I filled up early this morning and to my suprise I got 49.524 MPG (495/9.995). My second best MPG and no trips... country driving mainly!

I'm taking a trip next week... Bring on the HOT temperatures... just for next week.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #96
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
In fact, with the SGII it is nigh impossible to read the drag hit of having the windows down, but turning on the a/c at any speed is an instant large and sustained hit to FE.
That's good to know. I always thought 40-45 MPH was the breaking point between having the A/C and window open but I found out I was actually getting higher MPG on one fill-up with the windows open and 90ºF weather.

Does it make a difference if only the driver side window is open? I don't have power windows.

How much of a MPG hit do you take going from A/C level I to level II? What about when you compare no air to air on level II but with A/C off?

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #97
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
I had to turn on the heat for a few minutes yesterday. I wonder how it effects my MPG... :D
Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #98
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
I had to turn on the heat for a few minutes yesterday. I wonder how it effects my MPG... :D
I dont have much experience in the matter as i got my scangauge in the summer, so no heat was needed. But i have heard that heat causes little to no hit on FE, because its only excess heat coming from the engine. Again, have not tested this. And i would assume its not true when the engine is just turned on on a cold morning, but only after its been running a while.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #99
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsouders View Post
I dont have much experience in the matter as i got my scangauge in the summer, so no heat was needed. But i have heard that heat causes little to no hit on FE, because its only excess heat coming from the engine. Again, have not tested this. And i would assume its not true when the engine is just turned on on a cold morning, but only after its been running a while.
There is indeed an FE hit from using the heater as your engine relies on a certain water temperature as a measurement of engine efficiency and will run rich any time it's not meeting it in order to produce more waste heat. However, it is a much smaller hit than a/c usage, and I believe in keeping my joints warm enough to easily control the vehicle in snowy and icy conditions.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #100
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
You are now on Al Gore's hit list!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #101
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
no problem here with the mileage , only the oil leak so far . Took the ECO-METER from the 2010 3 door and installed it in the 2008 automatic sedan before going on a 161.5 mile trip . The ECO-METER showed 44.2 overall and the fill of 3.62 gallons of gas ( always off at 1 click of nozzle ) . This resulted a calculation of 44.56 m.p.g.. This is 85 degree weather , 2 people , plenty of hills , average speed of 48 m.p.h. , 35 p.s.i. for tires , and winds of 25+ m.p.h.. Also cleaned the block where the oil leaks before leaving and was pleased to find there was very little oil to the touch after returning home . Just slight sheen on tip of finger from area it seeps .

Last edited by Hershey; 07-19-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #102
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
My average MPG in the summer is between 36-42mpg now.

In the car's defense, when I take it out on the highway, I ain't gonna be that asshole running five-clicks' below the speed limit (real-time speed is about 60mph). The road isn't just about me, after all...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #103
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
F.M, , I take it your YARIS is getting better mileage now .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #104
jcemitte

Drives: 09 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I usually average 40mpg maybe a bit less in the winter,any one getting much less than that either has a mechanical problem or they arent driving correctly..
i wouldnt say incorrectly, i would say more fun-er :)

i drive my yaris hard and i still get 33-34 mpg how could anyone complain about that?

i wonder what garm gets in his....
jcemitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #105
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
Hmmm - in BC, Canada - before you enter most freeways - there is a sign that bans certain vehicles from entering - such as farm tractors - and basically anything that cannot reach a quoted "65 KM/HR" - so I guess 65KM/HR is the minimum speed that you are expected to average if the traffic flow allows it - on a BC freeway in Canada.

The maximum around here is 100KM/HR - and it's standard for people to exceed by 10-20KM/H.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #106
Wave
Car Hypochondriac

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatchback
I average between 29.5 and 31.1 mpg. I do push it though, and recently I think that may be coming back to bite me. Might need a new drivetrain at 70,000 miles :(
Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #107
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
I get 7.4L/100km or 32 MPG (US)
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #108
Gr8ful_Ken

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 door
My mileage experience. I'd say 50%/50% town/hwy. Relatively flat terrain. My highway speed tends to be 65-70. I'm not a hard accellerator. I personally dont think hypermiling techniques are worth the money saved. There have been many days with heat index above 100 lately so AC has been crankin'.

First tank 36.1 mpg
Second tank 35.8 mpg

Roof Rack went on towards end of 2nd tank.

3rd tank 34.9 (towards end of third tank, I did drive a bit more aggressively to have fun when break in period was through).

Not near what many folks claim here, but I am quite happy; my previous 4 vehicles got 18mpg (06 Silverado), 17mpg (98 Ranger), 17mpg (06 Frontier) and 15mpg (90 F-150).
Gr8ful_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote