Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
"Rotor" sound?

Hello all, I just re-installed my OEM springs because I don't think I am ready for a dropped car just yet.

So anyway, after driving around for a bit, I am noticing a "rotor" sound. Its almost like the sound that you have when you get a nail in the tire. But, I checked and rechecked each tire for large pebbles and nails but they're all clean. The sound quality does not vary in response to road condition and it does follow the velocity of the car (ie, decreases as the car slows down and speeds up when the car accelerates). Here's the weird part, I hear it when the windows are closed (and stereo is off), but if I open up the window to pinpoint the location, I don't hear it outside the car.

Other than the fact that I went from DF120 back to original springs, I do have the tire pressures at 44psi (if it has any factor). ONE more thing that I forgot to mention, I am NOT running on the cut bumpstops, I ordered a fresh set from TRDSparks (awesome guy!).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by texkid; 02-20-2009 at 09:59 PM.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I wonder if it could have anything to do with cutting the bump stops to install the DF210s???? just a guess?

I don't think anyone has ever gone back to stock springs after aftermarket
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I wonder if it could have anything to do with cutting the bump stops to install the DF210s???? just a guess?

I don't think anyone has ever gone back to stock springs after aftermarket
I forgot to mention, which I'll correct, I have replaced the cut bumpstops with an original set that i bought from TRD Sparks
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Check the splash guard right behind the rotor. (I think that's what it is)

Both times I've lowered my car it's bent against the rotor to make that noise. Just jack up the car and see where it's rubbing and bend it back.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Check the splash guard right behind the rotor. (I think that's what it is)

Both times I've lowered my car it's bent against the rotor to make that noise. Just jack up the car and see where it's rubbing and bend it back.
Those are clean too. I know this because when I first dropped the car, I slammed my wrist on the sharp end of the splash guard shredding 3 inches of skin that apparently I didn't need.

Two things came out of that, (1) I now only use craftsman or MAC tools and (2) I double check ANYTHING that might get in the way.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
texkid

OKAY!! Now is a good time to start panicking....I'll just let the picture tell it all.

DRIVER SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

Did I compress the spring too much?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
^^^ Everyone seems to have that gap if they alter the front suspension, whether it's lowering or raising it back up.

How long did you have the DF springs on for? Is the "rotor" noise more like a low growl? Not continuous noise, but patches of a low growl sound?
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
^^^ Everyone seems to have that gap if they alter the front suspension, whether it's lowering or raising it back up.
Oh thank goodness! I was about to freakout. So...is it still safe/drivable or does it need correction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
How long did you have the DF springs on for? Is the "rotor" noise more like a low growl? Not continuous noise, but patches of a low growl sound?
Not really a growl? Well...I define "growl" as a grinding noise. Its more of low-pitched tapping sound. The best way I can describe is the sound that a Huey helicopter makes, kinda like in one of those Vietnam war movies.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
only while going straight?
only while turning?
all speeds?
stopped; any noise?

anything else 'adjusted'
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
only while going straight?
only while turning?
all speeds?
stopped; any noise?

anything else 'adjusted'
--So far when going straight. I haven't paid close attention when taking turns, but I am actually going to iHOP to go study. So I'll check.

--Occurs at all speeds.

--Does NOT occur when the vehicle is stopped/idling

--Nothing else adjusted. OEM wheels with hubcaps. I did hand turn the nuts since I don't have an air compressor with the fancy driver hoo-hah.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #11
Shroomster

you tightened the lugnuts good and tight right? (not the culprit, but just thinking of safety )

if you can find an open area to do some full circles in both directions and around 10-15 miles per hour....

if it gets louder going one way (applying more of the load/weight) then it might be a wheel bearing....might be....

no debris on the drive shafts, wheels, rotors moving parts that you can see?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #12
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
you tightened the lugnuts good and tight right? (not the culprit, but just thinking of safety )

if you can find an open area to do some full circles in both directions and around 10-15 miles per hour....

if it gets louder going one way (applying more of the load/weight) then it might be a wheel bearing....might be....

no debris on the drive shafts, wheels, rotors moving parts that you can see?
As far as I can see, I don't see any. I am going to have to wait 'til tomorrow to get a better look. Besides, I'd hate for an officer to be pondering why a blue hatchback is doing circles at a wal-mart parking lot at 12:30 on a Friday night!!

But as an update, I decided to go to Jack N the Box. I heard a POP on the right side as I was backing down the driveway. After which, that tapping sound was a bit less noticeable.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #13
texkid

I am so F**KING retarded. Shroomster, you saved my Yaris from doing a face plant. I checked the lugnuts to be on the safe side. Apparently I never did tighten the front tires with the tire iron. All of the nuts were so loose I could turn them with my thumb and finger. I still haven't driven it yet, but hopefully that was the cause of the mysterious sound.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
LOL atleast you didnt have to find out the cause of your sound the hard way.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #15
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
LOL atleast you didnt have to find out the cause of your sound the hard way.
I can't stop laughing now.

I don't know why, but for some reason after Shroomster mentioned it, something kept telling that I HAVE to double-check.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
I am so F**KING retarded. Shroomster, you saved my Yaris from doing a face plant. I checked the lugnuts to be on the safe side. Apparently I never did tighten the front tires with the tire iron. All of the nuts were so loose I could turn them with my thumb and finger. I still haven't driven it yet, but hopefully that was the cause of the mysterious sound.
Welcome to the club - of us lucky ones who found it BEFORE the face-plant.
Not on the Yaris, many many years ago....
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
lol....safety first...I'm glad you're ok and there's one less yaris out of commission
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
texkid

I no longer hear the sound. I am now at the dealership getting an alignment. There is a 3 hour wait. But, since the car is under 1 year/20,000 mile, the alignment is covered under warranty.