Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #415
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
ADDED CORRECTION: Umm....I think I just screwed up....I have the '08 LB, so I had to connect a blue wire from the ECM to the connection behind the steering wheel, right?

Yes, with an 08, you have to add the wire from the cruise control switch connector CCS pin at the output of the spiral cable to pin 40 of connector A21 of the ECM (at the location of the blue wire on the connector below, which has three wires). You will also have to add a ground connection at the location of the brown wire on that same connector. On your 08 you will only have one wire (the black horn wire) exiting that connector.

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #416
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Yes, with an 08, you have to add the wire from the cruise control switch connector CCS pin at the output of the spiral cable to pin 40 of connector A21 of the ECM (at the location of the blue wire on the connector below, which has three wires). You will also have to add a ground connection at the location of the brown wire on that same connector. On your 08 you will only have one wire (the black horn wire) exiting that connector.

Woo-hoo! Got it working. There is no indicator on the cluster but I believe that is to expected. I don't think I can do the DIY since the memory card got corrupted. I am still doing some data recovery on the card but I ain't holding my breath.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #417
texkid

Okay, nothing good coming out of my old memory card. So...I took some quick pics and some other images from the other camera. I am not going to take everything apart again, its too darn-tootin' hot!

I did actually had a good idea for the garbage disposal splash guard. I planned to use it to over up the empty space around the cruise control switch to give it an "OEM" look. But since I made a pretty BAD cut, that idea went out the window. But, if y'all learn from my mistake, this might end up be a decent idea.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #418
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Ouch on that cut around the stalk. Isn't there a molded cut line in the plastic that you could have followed?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #419
texkid

Quote:
Ouch on that cut around the stalk. Isn't there a molded cut line in the plastic that you could have followed?
Kind of. But it was too late because I didn't see it until I connected the wires to the stalk. It is supposed to rain this weekend, so hopefully things will cool off. If it does, then i'll the airbag off and take a picture.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #420
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
Kind of. But it was too late because I didn't see it until I connected the wires to the stalk. It is supposed to rain this weekend, so hopefully things will cool off. If it does, then i'll the airbag off and take a picture.
If you decide to replace the cover, the part number is:

Cover, Steering Wheel Boss, Lower: 45184-52130-B0

This part number is supposedly for the one with the cruise control hole already there.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #421
texkid

Quote:

This part number is supposedly for the one with the cruise control hole already there.
I had thought buying the wheel cover but decided to hold until I bought the shifter extender which is next on the list. I will eventually get that wheel cover though.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #422
BrianS

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3DR LB
Odd question here. I actually had the aftermarket Rostra cc put in. I prefer the OEM look tho. If I wanted to get the OEM stalk and install that instead, would I have to start from scratch, running all those wires or could I utilize the wiring the Rostra has coming to it somehow?

Last edited by BrianS; 07-31-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #423
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
Odd question here. I actually had the aftermarket Rostra cc put in. I prefer the OEM look tho. If I wanted to get the OEM stalk and install that instead, would I have to start from scratch, running all those wires or could I utilize the wiring the Rostra has coming to it somehow?
I looked at the Rostra installation instructions and it actually connects to the ECM via the accelerator position sensor input. It has inputs to its own module from the brake pedal and gas pedal as well. Basically, it does the cruise control thing the way it would be done on a car who's ECM doesn't do it, so the bottom line is that none of the Rostra wiring would be of any value, if you switched to the OEM method.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #424
BrianS

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3DR LB
Quote:
I looked at the Rostra installation instructions and it actually connects to the ECM via the accelerator position sensor input. It has inputs to its own module from the brake pedal and gas pedal as well. Basically, it does the cruise control thing the way it would be done on a car who's ECM doesn't do it, so the bottom line is that none of the Rostra wiring would be of any value, if you switched to the OEM method.
Ah darn! LOL! I was trying to avoid tearing my dash apart. Thanks for the reply tho CTScott. :)
BrianS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #425
Soylentglass

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
I finally found the info on the correct terminal with the waterproof sleeve for the ECM connection. It is the female terminal with the waterproof sleeve and 500mm of wire attached. It is intended to be a repair item for a damaged terminal, where the tech just has to splice the wire, rather than having to deal with attaching the wire properly to the terminal.

The part number is: 82998-24250
Hi All. I have been lurking, reading through the 2 posts about the DIY cruise control on and off for a while now. I have an 09 Yaris Sedan, M/T. I took off the panels on the top and bottom of the steering column and have verified that yes, my car also does not have the brown and the blue wires coming from the plug. Only the black ground for the horn. It does have the indicator lights on the dash to the right of the speedometer. The "CC on" light and the "set" light.

I have been looking over the 2007 yaris factory repair manuals. I have been following along with everything you said and it all looks good to me.

CTScott, I had a few questions for you that I couldn't find the answer for anywhere in any of the close to 40 pages of both the posts.

First, where are you finding the OEM part numbers? Like for the interior panels for instance. I found a lot of part numbers for connectors at the end of the wiring diagrams section of the factory manual, but could not find a toyota OEM parts diagram anywhere.

Second, I was thinking of trying to get this ECM connection with the wire already attached that I have quoted above from you. Then I was thinking about it and from what you have, I wasn't sure if this was somehow a terminal that plugged into pin 40 on connector A21 or if this part was the entire A21 connector with about 40 or 50 - 500mm lengths of wire coming from all the pins. If it were the latter, I wouldn't want to get it, because I am not about to cut and splice all the rest of the existing, in-place, wires just so I could get that one wire from pin 40 waterproofed. So I guess the question summed up is: is part number 82998-24250 one wire with a connector or A21 with a lot of wires coming out of it?

The wiring diagram manual has part number 90980–12462 for A21 and TRD sparks has a higher MSRP for this than they do for part number 82998-24250.

Also, I looked up under the dash today and found a white two prong plug, with a blue and a black wire going to it. This plug was taped up against the wiring harness and was not plugged in to anything. It looks to me like its the right plug for the Cruise Control Clutch Switch according the the wiring manual.

I am planning on doing the 2 switch method, but I have yet to buy any of the switches, resistors, Cruise Control Clutch Switch, or the waterproof connector for the ECM.

Another thing I was wondering, if I wouldn't have access to what you are using to get OEM part numbers. On the sedan, there is a small panel to the right of the dimmer switch. I want to put my switches there. Is there any way you could find out what the part number is for that panel, so I could try to order another one?

Full of questions here. If I go to the dealer with these part numbers, will they just be able to order them for me? Or should I try to go through TRDSparks or somewhere online? It seems like, at least for the older toyotas I've had, that the dealer cannot get a lot of items like interior panels and the like. This is my first new car, so maybe it's different, I'm not sure. I was trying to avoid paying shipping costs, they seem a little high at TRDsparks and I always hate waiting heh. But I do get annoyed when they ask for a VIN number at the dealer too.

Overall, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributed to these posts. I was planning on buying that aftermarket kit (which I originally thought was the OEM CC) from TRDSparks for like $200 before I found this.
Soylentglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #426
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soylentglass View Post
Hi All. I have been lurking, reading through the 2 posts about the DIY cruise control on and off for a while now. I have an 09 Yaris Sedan, M/T. I took off the panels on the top and bottom of the steering column and have verified that yes, my car also does not have the brown and the blue wires coming from the plug. Only the black ground for the horn. It does have the indicator lights on the dash to the right of the speedometer. The "CC on" light and the "set" light.

I have been looking over the 2007 yaris factory repair manuals. I have been following along with everything you said and it all looks good to me.

CTScott, I had a few questions for you that I couldn't find the answer for anywhere in any of the close to 40 pages of both the posts.

First, where are you finding the OEM part numbers? Like for the interior panels for instance. I found a lot of part numbers for connectors at the end of the wiring diagrams section of the factory manual, but could not find a toyota OEM parts diagram anywhere.

Second, I was thinking of trying to get this ECM connection with the wire already attached that I have quoted above from you. Then I was thinking about it and from what you have, I wasn't sure if this was somehow a terminal that plugged into pin 40 on connector A21 or if this part was the entire A21 connector with about 40 or 50 - 500mm lengths of wire coming from all the pins. If it were the latter, I wouldn't want to get it, because I am not about to cut and splice all the rest of the existing, in-place, wires just so I could get that one wire from pin 40 waterproofed. So I guess the question summed up is: is part number 82998-24250 one wire with a connector or A21 with a lot of wires coming out of it?

The wiring diagram manual has part number 90980–12462 for A21 and TRD sparks has a higher MSRP for this than they do for part number 82998-24250.

Also, I looked up under the dash today and found a white two prong plug, with a blue and a black wire going to it. This plug was taped up against the wiring harness and was not plugged in to anything. It looks to me like its the right plug for the Cruise Control Clutch Switch according the the wiring manual.

I am planning on doing the 2 switch method, but I have yet to buy any of the switches, resistors, Cruise Control Clutch Switch, or the waterproof connector for the ECM.

Another thing I was wondering, if I wouldn't have access to what you are using to get OEM part numbers. On the sedan, there is a small panel to the right of the dimmer switch. I want to put my switches there. Is there any way you could find out what the part number is for that panel, so I could try to order another one?

Full of questions here. If I go to the dealer with these part numbers, will they just be able to order them for me? Or should I try to go through TRDSparks or somewhere online? It seems like, at least for the older toyotas I've had, that the dealer cannot get a lot of items like interior panels and the like. This is my first new car, so maybe it's different, I'm not sure. I was trying to avoid paying shipping costs, they seem a little high at TRDsparks and I always hate waiting heh. But I do get annoyed when they ask for a VIN number at the dealer too.

Overall, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributed to these posts. I was planning on buying that aftermarket kit (which I originally thought was the OEM CC) from TRDSparks for like $200 before I found this.

The service manuals don't list part numbers. The part numbers come from the Toyota EPC (electronic parts catalog). You can access it online at Toyodiy.com

82998-24250 is a single wire with the terminal and waterproof plug for connecting to the ECM.

If the cover you are looking for the PN for is the one where the power mirror switch would be then the PN is: 55547-28010-B1

For ordering the parts, you are probably better off going through TRDsparks. The dealer prices will be higher, and they will probably have to order most of the parts, so you may not save any time.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #427
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:

Just to confirm. Yup, that's the correct part number. I just received it yesterday and I'll be installing it as soon as the stalk arrives from Thailand. 16 days and counting since I placed the order.

For future cruise control installers: the part has the factory perfect hole already cut out for the cruise control stalk. The price from Sparks was $21.82 plus shipping. I also ordered the clutch switch (88280-14030) for $14.86 from them.

Last edited by 2+2; 08-17-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added some info
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #428
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
I got my stalk from Thailand today and installed it in my 09 3dr MT.

The clutch switch: Maybe no one mentioned it because it's so obvious but at least on the 09s there's a piece of black plastic under the dash that blocks the view of where the clutch switch goes. There's only 2 screws that hold it in place and once you remove it you can see where the switch goes without learning yoga. I wish I had paid more attention to how far the original clutch pedal adjustment bolt was before I installed the switch so I'd be sure I adjusted it correctly. My first thought was to screw it in until the clutch pedal began to move and then stop. But the pedal didn't feel quite right at the top of it's travel so I gave the switch a couple more turns. Is that right? Doesn't matter with a hydraulic clutch does it?

The steering wheel and stalk: Everything went really well thanks to all the good pointers here But of course box-o-rocks me had to try and make it interesting. I ordered the wrong stalk. Mine didn't have the horn wire hanging off the connector like

I ended up reusing my original horn wire by freeing the wire and connector from the plug and plugging it into the connector on the end of my stalk.

Thanks to everyone that worked on this I've now got cruise control and it didn't cost an arm and a leg and it was fun to do.

Should I worry about my clutch pedal adjustment?
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #429
luigi

Drives: '07 Sedan
Thanks to all the pioneers in this thread, I installed my cruise two weekends ago. I opted to buy the toyota stalk and steering wheel cover. Parts cost: $65 (including wire)

Installation was a breeze in my Auto Yaris. I bought 16 gauge wire, which was a tad too large for all the connectors and such. Still, after a little "love", everything is working and looks great. It looks like it came from the factory with cruise! Everyone is impressed, even the wife. Victory is mine!

My suggestions:

1. Go 18-22 gauge for the wire.

2. Don't spend $30 on the toyota steering cover. Put that money toward a dremel tool which you can use for a thousand other things. Plus, now I have a cover with no hole just taking up valuable garage space.

3. Have zip ties ready ahead of time. (Doh!)

4. My stalk, bought off eBay, didn't have any screws with it. Luckily, I found one lying around that sorta worked. You'll need two; have these around pre-project, too.

5. Take your foot off the gas on the interstate and LOVE IT!

Last edited by luigi; 08-18-2009 at 08:58 AM.
luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #430
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Clutch Switch

Hey Guys ! I ordered the Clutch Switch from a Toyota dealer (33CAD$) and I have a quick question for those who installed it on their Yaris : Is there's a way to avoid having to get a wire from that switch to the engine bay (is the blue CC wire going anywhere in the dash) ?

If my understanding is correct, I have to run a wire from the switch to the CC wire (blue) in the engine bay fuse box, and ground the other wire from the switch. I think I read that someone had slice the wire going to the fuse box to connect it to the wire going to Pin40 of connector A21 and I dont understand why this would have to be done since the blue wire only has to be grounded when the clutch pedal is depressed.

PS. to all those who did the installation on a MT car without the clutch switch, BUY IT ASAP ! I barely blown my engine after riding for 3.5 hours when I put my car in neutral (yeah I know that was dumb, I was tired).

Thanks for your help!
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #431
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince87 View Post
Hey Guys ! I ordered the Clutch Switch from a Toyota dealer (33CAD$) and I have a quick question for those who installed it on their Yaris : Is there's a way to avoid having to get a wire from that switch to the engine bay (is the blue CC wire going anywhere in the dash) ?

If my understanding is correct, I have to run a wire from the switch to the CC wire (blue) in the engine bay fuse box, and ground the other wire from the switch. I think I read that someone had slice the wire going to the fuse box to connect it to the wire going to Pin40 of connector A21 and I dont understand why this would have to be done since the blue wire only has to be grounded when the clutch pedal is depressed.

PS. to all those who did the installation on a MT car without the clutch switch, BUY IT ASAP ! I barely blown my engine after riding for 3.5 hours when I put my car in neutral (yeah I know that was dumb, I was tired).

Thanks for your help!

The clutch switch is totally separate from the CC wire to the ECM. The ECM has an input "D" (Connector C20 - Pin 56 on the ECM) for the cruise control clutch switch. It routes through the under hood fuse panel, so you can tap it there, rather than going to the ECM.

The 09 LBs have the clutch switch connector, but prior years and the Sedan apparently do not. From the clutch switch, two wires go up to the fuse panel and connect to the blue and white wires shown in the following picture. Neither gets grounded.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #432
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Thanks CTScott ! you always have the answer faster than anybody else... is there's a more straightfoward route to the fuse box than the grommet under the carpet on the passenger side (thats were the Pin40 and my amp wires a going to the engine bay) ?

ps. I thought that the white wire was a ground, thats why I believed I could ground it on the chassis instead...
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote