Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
Had my 1st Toyota Maintenance...

Went in for my scheduled maintenance yesterday. Had a squeak in my brakes for quite awhile so I asked the dealership to look at them. Well it doesn't squeak anymore but the emergency parking brake is very hard to lift up. Has anyone else experienced this. We use our E-brake a lot when parking the car, so this is somewhat annoying...I liked the way it was before.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot Top View Post
Went in for my scheduled maintenance yesterday. Had a squeak in my brakes for quite awhile so I asked the dealership to look at them. Well it doesn't squeak anymore but the emergency parking brake is very hard to lift up. Has anyone else experienced this. We use our E-brake a lot when parking the car, so this is somewhat annoying...I liked the way it was before.
they tightened it for you lmfao.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot Top View Post
They over-adjusted your brake shoes. Now you're probably getting some excessive drag. Could be nice for your fuel economy and heat buildup. Not.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
They over-adjusted your brake shoes. Now you're probably getting some excessive drag. Could be nice for your fuel economy and heat buildup. Not.
how do you know they over tightened it? just because it's now properly adjusted?

dont' feed the noob misinformation.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
When you lift the handbrake, how many clicks before you can't lift it any more? That is how the handbrake adjustment spec is measured.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
how do you know they over tightened it? just because it's now properly adjusted?

dont' feed the noob misinformation.
Misinformation? LMAO!

Quote:
the emergency parking brake is very hard to lift up
Shoes aren't adjusted properly.

Go "properly adjust" yours until you almost can't lift your handbrake enough to get it to click once or twice...yeah, got it too tight didn't you?

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Misinformation? LMAO!

Shoes aren't adjusted properly.

Go "properly adjust" yours until you almost can't lift your handbrake any more...yeah, got it too tight didn't you?
maybe i have a stronger arm than you...

adjust the drums til they drag (no resistance, you can just hear them) , then back off the cable adjustment half a turn.

if you can't pull the e-brake handle up enough to keep the car from moving (be it 1 click or 10) then you need to start doing arm excercises.

carrot top jack up one of your rear wheels, and with the e-brake OFF, see if the wheel spins freely with no drag or noise.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Loren
What?

"Very hard to lift up" is subjective. You don't know the extent of the OP's experience or what they're comparing it to. Perhaps the brake was very loose before and went up 15 clicks before grabbing, and now it's within spec... which would make it seem "very hard to lift" more than about half of what it used to.

You're making assumptions about what the OP meant by what they said. You can't do that. Ask more questions. Get a clear understanding of the problem before pronouncing a diagnosis.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
1stToyota

Quote:
maybe i have a stronger arm than you...

adjust the drums til they drag (no resistance, you can just hear them) , then back off the cable adjustment half a turn.

if you can't pull the e-brake handle up enough to keep the car from moving (be it 1 click or 10) then you need to start doing arm excercises.

carrot top jack up one of your rear wheels, and with the e-brake OFF, see if the wheel spins freely with no drag or noise.
Or if car still rolls, it's not an adjustment problem...could be problem with shoes or drums.

When I replace brakes, I start by using of a drum gauge, and then adjust until I can just start to hear scraping. I don't run across too many stretched cables. 1 click is too tight, 10 clicks is a Ford Tempo in serious need of a brake job.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
"Very hard to lift up" is subjective. You don't know the extent of the OP's experience or what they're comparing it to. Perhaps the brake was very loose before and went up 15 clicks before grabbing, and now it's within spec... which would make it seem "very hard to lift" more than about half of what it used to.

You're making assumptions about what the OP meant by what they said. You can't do that. Ask more questions. Get a clear understanding of the problem before pronouncing a diagnosis.
Goes both ways. Without seeing car, I assumed that it's too tight, other guy assumed that's it's just perfect and OP and I are weak armed. I didn't want to assume that the guy was a puss and didn't know anything about his own car.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
Goes both ways. Without seeing car, I assumed that it's too tight, other guy assumed that's it's just perfect and OP and I are weak armed.
never said it's perfect.

did you miss the part where i told the OP to jack up the car and check for drag?
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
1stToyota

Quote:
never said it's perfect.

did you miss the part where i told the OP to jack up the car and check for drag?
No, you lyfao and said that it was adjusted now and properly adjusted

This is just getting silly.

OP, don't let any of us assume anything. Have dealer check out your concerns. Better to have it rechecked than to just assume that you're weak and it's perfect and have you to just keep driving it with a possible problem with the brake adjustment.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
When I last took my car in November. They adjusted my drums. My car felt like it stopped faster/didn't drop as much in the front, it was nice. I don't think my fuel economy dropped, I forgot to be honest.

I was able to put it into 1 click, and it would stop the car from moving. Now, I have to pick it up to I dont know how many clicks, and on a hill, the drums make a bad noise as if they slip, any time weight it added or removed from the car, or the high is too much.

I feel now as if they are not stopping the car as easily. Oh, and if I try using them while the car is moving, it doesn't do much, especially comparing them to back in November.

I know in my dads car I can pick it up 3 or 4 clicks and the tires will lock. In the yaris, that will never happen and I don't know why.

How can I adjust my drums myself?(ebrake level)
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Loren
What?

Quote:
Goes both ways. Without seeing car, I assumed that it's too tight, other guy assumed that's it's just perfect and OP and I are weak armed. I didn't want to assume that the guy was a puss and didn't know anything about his own car.
The assumption that a newb on a forum like this one doesn't know much is usually a pretty safe bet. But, you can ask questions without making them looks dumb. And that keeps you from making incorrect assumptions about their problem.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
The assumption that a newb on a forum like this one doesn't know much is usually a pretty safe bet. But, you can ask questions without making them looks dumb. And that keeps you from making incorrect assumptions about their problem.
OP is a newb to the forum because they don't post much? Join date is same as mine. OP wanted an opinion based on experience. I gave an opinion based on my experience with this issue. First reply to OP asked no questions, just assumed that it's adjusted properly. Why single me out?

My brakes feel great, and 5 clicks on my handbrake. On my inclined (average, I assume) driveway it's 5 clicks and it's never tried to roll forward or reverse. I've never adjusted them, btw.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
OP is a newb to the forum because they don't post much? Join date is same as mine. OP wanted an opinion based on experience. I gave an opinion based on my experience with this issue. First reply to OP asked no questions, just assumed that it's adjusted properly. Why single me out?

My brakes feel great, and 5 clicks on my handbrake. On my inclined (average, I assume) driveway it's 5 clicks and it's never tried to roll forward or reverse. I've never adjusted them, btw.
a noob is someone who doesn't understand how emergency brakes work.

therefore, number of posts or join date have nothing to do with it. i'll wager that many of the 1000plus posters on YW don't even change their own oil. which makes them noobs. ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
1stToyota

Leaving this thread before I get sucked in any worse =o

Quote:
a noob is someone who doesn't understand how emergency brakes work.

therefore, number of posts or join date have nothing to do with it. i'll wager that many of the 1000plus posters on YW don't even change their own oil. which makes them noobs. ;)
Assumptions all over the place.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 04-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Assumptions all over the place.
no, it was a wager ;)
you nailed it sir.