Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
No excessive speeds, CC on all the time.

But cc will downshift on a hill. Do you have a manual?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Bronsin, I have an automatic, but I learned my lesson last time I made this trip, there are only a couple of steep long climb ups, and when I came to them I would switch the CC off.

But I would say it was on 90% of the trip. Again, and I can't state this point enough, I ran into no traffic whatsoever, no even at at a toll. It was remarkable. And most speed adjustments that I needed I made with the CC stalk.

I left at 0220 hrs on a Sunday morning.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #39
bronsin

Im hoping my trip will be less traffic than normal. Leaving Sunday early. Have EZ pass now too!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Running my winter snows at 35 psi all around.

Just stopped snowing here got about 4-6 inches, the worst part of the trip home tmrw. will the the first few hours till I get into PA, leaving at 0400 hrs.

Anyone who has read any of my posts knows I like to try to squeeze every mile out of this little egg. No excessive speeds, CC on all the time, never touching the brake if possible, rolling to stop signs and lights. I can live with 39 mpg this trip NP, and in the winter if I can get 36-38 conbined I can live with that.

I mean really, I don't think I could have done much better on the way out, no traffic etc. Weather conditions tmrw, plus picking up my brother in NJ mid afternoon, I'll be happy if I can get 35-36 mpg.

BTW-I stopped at Cabela's on the way out and got a Ragg Wool Sweater on sale for 17.99 + tax.
For some reason the 'winter snows at 35 psi all around' made me think of Idahotom's fairly recent post where he wrote that he let some air out of the normally amply inflated tires on his Yaris in order to get up his hill re snowfall.

Good to hear you have had a safe trip so far. Congrats on the deal on the sweater!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Bronsin, I have an automatic, but I learned my lesson last time I made this trip, there are only a couple of steep long climb ups, and when I came to them I would switch the CC off.

But I would say it was on 90% of the trip. Again, and I can't state this point enough, I ran into no traffic whatsoever, no even at at a toll. It was remarkable. And most speed adjustments that I needed I made with the CC stalk.

I left at 0220 hrs on a Sunday morning.
Good to hear you made it back safely. No or sparse traffic definitely helps. I once went skiing for a week in early December with my girlfriend at Mt. Bachelor near Bend, Oregon. We flew to Portland, rented a car, and drove to Bend. We didn't encounter any inclement weather until about a day before we left, when it started snowing intermitantly. I had to buy chains for the rental car. We figured that when we got to the point where chains were needed, there would be someone there we could pay to put them on. No such luck. A nice man who had to put his on helped us and we got it done. Fortunately the rental car was FWD, and fortunately it was a very new automatic with a low first gear. We made it up Mt. Hood and over the other side without issue. I kept it in first gear nearly the whole way. The traffic was very sparse, in both directions. The sparse traffic was a VERY helpful 'aid'.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #42
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Im setting mine to 40 psi
.......given the weather..........unless all is completely clear by then. But then you have a lifetime of such experiences, and know your own driving better than anyone else does.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #43
bronsin

Ha that was before I heard about the snow up there!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
NEexpat

Partial Update:

Hey Nook, thanks. The sweater was a steal!

Just back home, Postponed my return one more day.

And of course I jinxed myself with all my "no traffic tales"

I left this AM at 0340 hrs. And walked through my door at 1830 hrs.

At one point around 0900 hrs. I, with hundreds, perhaps thousands were parked, well I was, engine off for almost an hour, sitting about five miles from the entrance to the Blue Mountain Tunnel on PA turnpike.

A tandem tractor trailer and another truck went through the guardrail on the Eastern side, eastbound lane of the Kittatinny Mountain Tunnel on the downhill rollout.

Through the guardrail off the side of the mountain. Have to tell you it's a bit unsettling seeing that many tires facing the sky. I hope those involved were not seriously injured.

Then there were the Harrisburg knots, the Tappan Zee crawl, the New Haven Maze to a standstill, the Branford race to nowhere etc. etc.

Will post my mileage numbers tomorrow, The Dewars is calling.

Will also be be posting a comment on the General Altimax Arctics in the wheel sub., what a great snow tire.

Last edited by NEexpat; 12-28-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #45
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Ha that was before I heard about the snow up there!
Good Luck re the weather on Sunday.. It is still pretty windy here, even though winter storm Euclid is in your general neck of the woods. I'm going to stick around, switching between games, hoping the playoff scenario ends up the way I want it to.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #46
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
:thumbsupI'm going to stick around, switching between games, hoping the playoff scenario ends up the way I want it to.
I hope it works out but one thing I learned: it doesnt matter what other teams do. Your team has to WIN!

Weather looks acceptable.

Do you guys think Tuesday is a bad travel day?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I hope it works out but one thing I learned: it doesnt matter what other teams do. Your team has to WIN!

Weather looks acceptable.

Do you guys think Tuesday is a bad travel day?
I mainly want the 49ers to get the #2 seed back (Green Bay will have to lose in addition to a 49er win) and the Texans to keep the #1 seed (you're right, just need to win).

Tuesday isn't as good as it would have been back in the day when so many bowl games were on the 1st and that kept people off the roads, but it would probably be okay. Depends on what time you leave. Might have fewer drunk and or tired drivers on the road on Wednesday if you can swing it.

When my previous reply to you posted, I saw NEexpat's reply from 11 munites earlier and typed a reply to him and posted it. I then saw this reply from you, but my reply to NEexpat was missing. That's the third time that has happened to me in the last week, and I don't remember it ever happening before that. I'll try again.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Partial Update:

Hey Nook, thanks. The sweater was a steal!

Just back home, Postponed my return one more day.

And of course I jinxed myself with all my "no traffic tales"

I left this AM at 0340 hrs. And walked through my door at 1830 hrs.

At one point around 0900 hrs. I, with hundreds, perhaps thousands were parked, well I was, engine off for almost an hour, sitting about five miles from the entrance to the Blue Mountain Tunnel on PA turnpike.

A tandem tractor trailer and another truck went through the guardrail on the Eastern side, eastbound lane of the Kittatinny Mountain Tunnel on the downhill rollout.

Through the guardrail off the side of the mountain. Have to tell you it's a bit unsettling seeing that many tires facing the sky. I hope those involved were not seriously injured.

Then there were the Harrisburg knots, the Tappan Zee crawl, the New Haven Maze to a standstill, the Brandford race to nowhere etc. etc.

Will post my mileage numbers tomorrow, The Dewars is calling.

Will also be be posting a comment on the General Altimax Arctics in the wheel sub., what a great snow tire.
Wow. I hardly ever drink, but after that drive even I might need a scotch. I've driven through all that you mention, but only the Tappan Zee in heavy traffic...and not any of them during 'snowy conditions'. I hope Bronsin has the same safe result you did re his upcoming trip.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #49
NEexpat

Yep, Bronsin, have a safe trip mate.

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but I will anyway, when in doubt............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................slow down.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #50
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but I will anyway, when in doubt............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................slow down.
^^^^^ Sage advice. I wish more people down here would follow it while driving in the rain.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #51
bronsin

Quote:

I plan on cruising at 60-65 mph to conserve gas as much as possible. I HOPE its not necessary to go 75 because traffic isnt safe at 65!

Of course if the weather gets involved I will get my wish and be lucky to average 40 or so...
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #52
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I mainly want the 49ers to get the #2 seed back (Green Bay will have to lose in addition to a 49er win) and the Texans to keep the #1 seed (you're right, just need to win).

At least you have prospects for the post season. The Giants are better off falling on their swords and waiting for next year. If they make the playoffs it will just be WORSE.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
NEexpat

Mileage Numbers:

Left with a full tank, stopped three times for gas.

1st. Filled to first click - 9.653 gls.
2nd. $20 in Clinton CT.- 5.436 gls.
3rd. Top off 1 mile from home - 4.557 gls.

Total 19.646 gls.

Total Miles 754.6 miles

Miles per gl. return trip 38.40 mpg.

Pretty consistent, all things considered.

UltraGuage had me at 42.4 mpg. I believe I am going to have to look into that and learn about calibrating it, if possible, the way those of you with Scanguages do.

Also I may change the Gas tank size setting from 11.1 to 11.6 or even 11.8. I kinda use that extra "unseen" gas as an added safety margin on DTE mileage number on the guage

Gas prices in Columbus the morning I left were 3.19/9 gl. Clinton CT. - 3.67/9 gl. Home 3.45/9 gl.

Still working on posting pics.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year, and if your travelling stay safe.

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #54
bronsin

GAs here in NJ is now 326.

Going up!