Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #1
IftyH
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Icon Tech
Front Suspension Front Ball Joints Sweating!

Hi Everyone,
I’m new on this forum. I wish to pick your brains.

My 2017 Yaris Icon Tech (80,500 miles) is making crunching noises whenever I go over an uneven part of the road and humps. My local Toyota dealer in Watford said, “The front ball joints are sweating”. The repair bill is £1131.67.

Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty given that every service from new (9 services) have been carried out by them? They’re saying it’s wear & tear.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards.
IftyH
IftyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In The US Toyota warranty is 36,000 miles or 36 months which ever comes first.

So based on that your car would be out of warranty.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
What? Sweaty balls?
https://youtu.be/bPpcfH_HHH8
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by IftyH View Post
Hi Everyone,
I’m new on this forum. I wish to pick your brains.

My 2017 Yaris Icon Tech (80,500 miles) is making crunching noises whenever I go over an uneven part of the road and humps. My local Toyota dealer in Watford said, “The front ball joints are sweating”. The repair bill is £1131.67.

Shouldn’t this be covered under warranty given that every service from new (9 services) have been carried out by them? They’re saying it’s wear & tear.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards.
IftyH
Just means balls joints are leaking. Might want to have a look yourself to confirm they are leaking grease.

If they are you can replace them yourself fairly easily or you can buy an entire new control arm with ball joint and new bushings while there for not that much more money aftermarket.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:41 PM   #5
ltwargssf

Drives: yaris
That's a bit ridiculous but that's probably the dealer quoting you for two entire control arms since toyota doesn't sell the balljoints separately and they wouldn't just do one side.

Balljoints are cheap for these cars and very easy to press in and out (50$ + you can go rent out a balljoint press for free at a parts store)

Independent shop shouldn't charge you over 200$ to replace one of them. For a 2017 car with under 100k, your control arms probably still have a lot of life in them so long as the bushings aren't cracked
ltwargssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:56 AM   #6
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Shouldn't be covered under warranty. You've gone more than 3 times around earth if you'd have traveled in a straight line
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote