Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Liftback 3DR 2009
Send a message via AIM to joeljcruz86
RATTLING NOISE EXHAUST PIPE/BACK OF ENGINE

HELP!

I've read through the forums related to this issue and still no success. I have a weird rattling noise that comes once done within the following:
1.) driving the vehicle more than at least 15 minutes
2.) the car is in drive and the foot on the brake pedal

The rattling goes away when in neutral, and it isn't there in reverse as well.
The sound is very strong behind the engine bay and the noise goes with shaking the engine back and forth by hand. My friend and I noticed that the noise also went away when a flat head screw driver is wedged between the mid-pipe connected to the up-pipe (headers) towards the engine. I also pushed up (braced) the mid-pipe towards the bottom of the car and the engine goes away too.
My friend strongly feels and convinced that my gasket that connects the two pipes is most likely bad and that there is an exhaust leak possibly. but the car does not sound like it has one.

I drive a 2009 3dr. hatchback, aftermarket exhaust, over 100,000 miles.

ps. I also tried the zip-tie of that cable method and it is still there. Plus checked most of the head shield through out the exhaust pipes and still nothing.
joeljcruz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Heat sheild on top of the exhaust manifold. It holds with 2 bolts at the bottom (first to rust away) then 2 bolts at the top at opposite ends. I removed mine when I installed a header.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Heat sheild on top of the exhaust manifold. It holds with 2 bolts at the bottom (first to rust away) then 2 bolts at the top at opposite ends. I removed mine when I installed a header.
Is there a suggested (easy way) to go about this? And if theres a picture, that would be really appreciated!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

I found out that its not the heat shield covering the manifold. I completely give up. The noise is really annoying, but I've tried all options trying to pinpoint that it is.

Its cross between a squealing metallic noise if anything. The first thing I thought when the noise started was the fan belt or a possible loose pulley. Thats as close the noise can be described.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
yanickr1973
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris sedan 2007
I have the exact same problem as you!

I checked the heat shield and it's ok, not touching anywhere and in good condition

When I hold the rubbers next to the catalytic converter the noise stop.

From my ear, the noise comes from the catalytic converter

my guess is that there is something broken inside the catalytic converter :(
yanickr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ given the age of your car, the problem is most likely the donout gasket between the exhaust header and the pipe is shot.

This is what mine looked like when I pulled it out of the car in 2011.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gasket&Bolts.jpg (83.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ given the age of your car, the problem is most likely the donout gasket between the exhaust header and the pipe is shot.

Yeah my friend said that it was possible the gasket that needs to be replaced. But as I do with all things to diagnose the problem, I have to see it myself or take it apart. The only issue I ran into was that the 2 bolts that is connecting the pipe to the headers, is that the one bolt i was able to unscrew, but the other bolt seems to be siezed in. I've tried spraying it with almost all kinds of lube or liquids that breaks rust, and also using heat. But it won't budge plus it feels like its pretty much getting stripped or the bolt is already stripped.

I know I eventually want to replace the whole pipe eventually if I ever get the money to, but if I can resolve that annoying noise by just replacing the gasket and save that much money, why the hell not?? Also the fact that it such a tight area so have any movement to do anything down there. I'm just working with a basic floor jack.

Any ideas with that stubborn bolt? my car is a 2009 by the way. Also methods that are cheap too?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeljcruz86 View Post
Yeah my friend said that it was possible the gasket that needs to be replaced. But as I do with all things to diagnose the problem, I have to see it myself or take it apart. The only issue I ran into was that the 2 bolts that is connecting the pipe to the headers, is that the one bolt i was able to unscrew, but the other bolt seems to be siezed in. I've tried spraying it with almost all kinds of lube or liquids that breaks rust, and also using heat. But it won't budge plus it feels like its pretty much getting stripped or the bolt is already stripped.

I know I eventually want to replace the whole pipe eventually if I ever get the money to, but if I can resolve that annoying noise by just replacing the gasket and save that much money, why the hell not?? Also the fact that it such a tight area so have any movement to do anything down there. I'm just working with a basic floor jack.

Any ideas with that stubborn bolt? my car is a 2009 by the way. Also methods that are cheap too?

at this point u gone need bolt extractor socket and heat like a torch..heat the nut side and then use extractor to loosen the bolt , dont brake cos its a pain to remove..lol
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Quote:

Just did mine this summer and they looked same as urs , had to use heat to remove bolts ...pain in the ass
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeljcruz86 View Post
With limited tools and resources, I'd say it might well be time to suck it up and head to a garage to get that sucker out. Break it yourself trying to save some $$, and you end up in a whole new world of hurt.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Hi WeeYari

I developed a rattle and I think it is to coming from the same joint as if I apply some pressure to the exhaust, the rattle will stop..

When you unbolted the pipe from the header, was there enough room to manually pull the exhaust pipe back to get to the gasket and correctly install and seat the new gasket?

Thanks Wee and all!

Quote:

CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Yup enuf space just have to unhook the exhaust from middle hangers at least one side so u can flex it back .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
When you unbolted the pipe from the header, was there enough room to manually pull the exhaust pipe back to get to the gasket and correctly install and seat the new gasket?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Yup enuf space just have to unhook the exhaust from middle hangers at least one side so u can flex it back .
I never unhooked any hangers. It was tight, but there is enough space.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
CB900F2

Thanks guys!.. I took a look a the condition of the bolts and they look a world of hurt!. rusted on good...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
Exiwolfman

Gone need heat to remove ..torch works best... Gone need new bolts too, take to a shop

sent from my S4 on Mars
Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
CB900F2

Hey guys..

Thank you for your feedback, and I changed out the gasket and it was much easier then I was expecting..

No need for heat on the bolts, one pull with my 18" long racket, and they broke lose.

And for my sedan, I needed to unhook the middle hangers as suggested by Wolfman, as if you don't, there isn't enough room to work at getting the gasket off, and re-installing the new one.

And in my situation, I had this issue when I would be braking where at from the 60km to the 50km speed, I would get a rumble with in the car. I was really thinking I had warpped rotors, and it was related to the gasket.. I can only assume the gasket was also leaking and it would somehow cause something to resonate enough to cause this rubble/shake through out the car.

Thanks again guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post

sent from my S4 on Mars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-09-13 17.35.21.jpg (93.0 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-13 17.37.12.jpg (84.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-09-13 17.38.11.jpg (108.7 KB, 167 views)

Tags
engine bay, exhaust, noise while moving, noises, rattling