Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
cabin air filter options

Here in the great state of Ohio, the dot uses a salt / brine solution on the roads as an ice preventative. Sometimes the lay it on thick. There are times when the solution dries out and creates a massive dust storm of salt. Several people, including myself, have an allergic reaction to the dust. Not fun.

The particulate seems to make its way around the filter. The interior of the car is filled with white dust. The allergic reaction sucks as well.

I am looking for a recommendation for a filter that will keep out the dust. The OEM filter isn't working all that well. I am trying a home made filter using a furnace filter element. I was thinking of putting some K&N oil on the element to see if it helps.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Necrosis View Post
Here in the great state of Ohio, the dot uses a salt / brine solution on the roads as an ice preventative. Sometimes the lay it on thick. There are times when the solution dries out and creates a massive dust storm of salt. Several people, including myself, have an allergic reaction to the dust. Not fun.

The particulate seems to make its way around the filter. The interior of the car is filled with white dust. The allergic reaction sucks as well.

I am looking for a recommendation for a filter that will keep out the dust. The OEM filter isn't working all that well. I am trying a home made filter using a furnace filter element. I was thinking of putting some K&N oil on the element to see if it helps.

They use that stuff here as well. It is amazing as to how much of a cloud it makes when driven over once it dries.

I would avoid oil and rather use one of the HEPA furnace filters, cut to size.

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/a...FULf4AodmVAALQ
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Toyota has a charcoal coated air filter . Think it's about $32 . Should capture more particles and last longer . Could vacuum it out every 3 months or so . Do this with the original cabin and engine air filter . Only vacuum the side where the incoming air meets the filter . I use a crevice tool attachment .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Toyota has a charcoal coated air filter . Think it's about $32 . Should capture more particles and last longer . Could vacuum it out every 3 months or so . Do this with the original cabin and engine air filter . Only vacuum the side where the incoming air meets the filter . I use a crevice tool attachment .
The charcoal coating is just for odor reduction. It has the same filter density, which is not fine enough for the finer than baby powder dust from the liquid road salt.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Best way to see gains would be making sure there is no air able to get around the filter. Most cabin filters do a very poor job of sealing. Some well placed tape would probably greatly increase the effectiveness of any cabin filter.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I would buy a nice, reusable HVAC filter, cut to size, and put the air in recirculating instead of fresh air. That's what I did. Made one of my car, one for my friend's car, and had some left over (just tossed it since I didn't know anyone else who needed one, and was an odd shape so I couldn't make another one for my car). Clean when ever you feel the need to, let dry, and stick it back in.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here's the original cabin air filters for Toyota vehicles , http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com...13Chart_v1.pdf .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote