Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
jesse1000

Drives: White 2007 Yaris 3DR Hatch
possible alternator (voltage regulator) issue

Hi Everyone...just wondering if anybody would have some useful input on this problem of mine:

Las night I was driving and my battery warning light came on and my headlights were dimming a bit. My high-beams turned off (along with my normal headlights). when i turned off the high beams, my lights worked again, but were still dimming until I got home.

A friend of mine says that the problem is the voltage regulator in the alternator.

My car has 112 000 km on it...so no warranty, and i just paid my 5000 dollar tuition for the next 4 months of school, so i'm a bit low on money

would anyone know if this is the problem, and if so, about how much a voltage regulator (or new alternator) costs?

Thanks a lot
jesse1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Before you go buying parts, get a voltmeter and see what's going on, it could just be the battery.

Battery should read 12-12.5 with the engine off. If it reads less than 12, you could have a bad battery... or you could have a charging system problem.

Start the car. Voltage on the battery should now read at least 14.5. If it doesn't, you have a charging problem. If it does, and the battery still reads low with the engine off... you have a bad battery.

A bad alternator isn't impossible, but a dead battery is much more likely on a 2-year-old car.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
jesse1000

Drives: White 2007 Yaris 3DR Hatch
thanks a lot, I'll try that
jesse1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
YANGSTER

Drives: SILVER YARIS 2007 5DR
Had the same problem after I came back from my 2 week trip (mid Jan). Went to the dealer in Sarnia (I happened to be there that day), wanted $700 for the "broken" alternator...called TCI, complained and redirected my repair to Heffner (I'm sure you know where that is), took the car back...only the voltage regulator is gone...replaced and paid $300 for it. I guess first you need to find out exactly which part is gone and then go after your preferred dealership and TCI...good luck. msg me if you need more help.
YANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote