Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #37
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
No worries. More than one way to install it I am sure.

If it mounts, and makes a noise, you're doing something right, whichever way you've accomplished it! ;)
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #38
xtremesniper

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB RS
Forgive me for the thread bump, but I figured it would be better than starting a new one about the same thing...

I was recently in discussions with my dealer to upgrade my horn to something a little... better. I came across these ones a while back and I liked the sound based on the Toyota Japan website. Turns out they are a Japan only accessory in "official" terms, so the dealer themselves can't order them in as parts. However, they offered to install it for me if I can get it myself and bring it to them.

I live near Toronto. Any ideas on where I can buy this from? Preferably a physical store, but if not then at least a respectable and trustworthy online site that ships to Canada without charging an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?
xtremesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #39
Iggy888

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremesniper View Post
I live near Toronto. Any ideas on where I can buy this from? Preferably a physical store, but if not then at least a respectable and trustworthy online site that ships to Canada without charging an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?
You could purchase the horn kit from www.jdmpit.com

Their price for the Toyota Premium Horn (w/ Splitter Cables) is $113 USD and includes shipping via USPS to Canada. Going via USPS is good since you don't get burned by courier brokerage fees. I would say they are trustworthy vendors. I am from Toronto too and purchased a shifter from them in April. It arrived within a few weeks with no problems.

If the price works for you then the only down-side is that at the moment, this horn is out of stock so you might have to wait.
Iggy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #40
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy888 View Post
You could purchase the horn kit from www.jdmpit.com

Their price for the Toyota Premium Horn (w/ Splitter Cables) is $113 USD and includes shipping via USPS to Canada. Going via USPS is good since you don't get burned by courier brokerage fees. I would say they are trustworthy vendors. I am from Toronto too and purchased a shifter from them in April. It arrived within a few weeks with no problems.

If the price works for you then the only down-side is that at the moment, this horn is out of stock so you might have to wait.
I am in Waterloo, Ontario, and got my horn from JDMPIT as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #41
Wildcat

Drives: '07 Yaris Hatchback
Thanks for doing this write up, Marty. I just ordered a set from JDMPit. I'm really looking forward to replacing my "Road Runner" horn.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #42
xtremesniper

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB RS
Thanks, I'll take a look. As of right now I was offered a Sienna horn as a replacement. I'm going to go in to see how it sounds. It's going to be much cheaper (free) if I end up liking it.
xtremesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #43
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Thanks for doing this write up, Marty. I just ordered a set from JDMPit. I'm really looking forward to replacing my "Road Runner" horn.
+1 ordered mine today.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #44
Meteorite_Marty

Glad to help! :)
Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #45
kac

I followed this to the T (without the splitter thing...) Works great, and sounds great!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #46
Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
I followed this to the T (without the splitter thing...) Works great, and sounds great!

I just got my kit from JDMPit. Which mounting holes did you use? There seems to be different ways of mounting them. The instructions that came with it show to mount one horn on the hood latch bracket. Now I admit my Japanese is rusty so I'm not sure if these instructions are applicable for the Yaris...

Did you just remove the top part of the bumper or take the whole thing off to install?

Last edited by Wildcat; 08-13-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #47
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I just removed the retainer clips from the top of the bumper and pulled the bumper back enough to work on it.

As far as mounting the horns, yeah, it can be a bit confusing and you have to be a bit inventive.

Personally, I made a simple bracket to mount both horns on it, then mounted the bracket using the stock hole.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #48
kac

I also just removed the push pin clip things and pulled the bumper back, then I cut the black plastic thing to reveal that hole that is few inches to the right of where the current horn is installed and installed the 2nd horn right there (just like the guy who made this thread).

Rock and Roll.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #49
Wildcat

Just finished my install. As others have done, I also removed the plastic cover instead of cutting into it.

I also used the second smaller threaded hole just to the left of the stock horn. I reused the stock bolt and bolt included in the kit. Since that was too long the only modification I had to do was to cut it shorter with my Dremel. Very quick install.

I also used a short piece of scrap wood, about 6 inches, to wedge between the bumper and the radiator. Love the new horns.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #50
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
What does removing the plastic do...or maybe I should ask what the plastic does in the first place?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #51
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Wood?
I followed the instructions to the letter for my LB install and it fits perfectly.
Use all the parts they include, It all works and FITS just fine!
The horn to the left will just rest against the inside of the grill. It's not under a lot of pressure, so it's fine.
Don't try to reinvent something simple. The diagrams are pretty good....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee

Last edited by auxmike; 08-15-2010 at 07:45 PM.
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #52
Wildcat

I removed the plastic cover to access the additional threaded hole to the left easier. You can still get to it but it's much easier to get to with it off. It snaps right back on after you have the horns mounted.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #53
Meteorite_Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Wood?
I followed the instructions to the letter for my LB install and it fits perfectly.
Use all the parts they include, It all works and FITS just fine!
The horn to the left will just rest against the inside of the grill. It's not under a lot of pressure, so it's fine.
Don't try to reinvent something simple. The diagrams are pretty good....
Thank you... I try.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #54
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I will be ordering I think in the next paycheck or at the first of the month. I had 3 instances over the last month where I laid on my horn and the people didn't even register that I had one! On an off topic note the price they have for the window visors is way overpriced...110. Garm sells the Vios ones for a third. I would but from this site only if I could not find something elsewhere.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote