Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
almcheung

Drives: Yaris 2007 TR
timing chain or faulty sensors

Hi,
I have just joined, opinion on this is much appreciated.
I have a 07 Yaris TR, 5 door 1.4 engine, 3.5 years old and just out of warranty.
It has been running well and it still runs well, it just had it's 40,000 mikes service, not high milage, regularly serviced and well looked after.
About 2 weeks ago, the yellow engine warning light lights up occasionally, on 4 occasion I think, but is not on all the time and when it's on, it doesn't stay on for too long. It is off/normal at the moment. I asked the local Toyota dealer to have a look at it, they come up with a computer code that indicates the timing chain could be stretched and needed to do a big job to change the chain, costing a little fortune.
One of my friend who is an experienced mechanic with Mercedes said that it is unlikely that my car at such low milage, runs and start well, serviced regularly should need the timing chain changed so early, it is more likely to be faulty sensors. As the fault reads on my friend's diagnostic box as something like an imbalance between the cam and crank sensors(I may be wrong, I am not that technical). But the dealer refused to try changing the sensors first.
They said Toyota customer service will pay about £140, still cost me nearly £500 if have have the chain changed. Try changing the sensors first is much cheaper. I have to stress the car runs absolutely well, starts well and no loss of power. I am think of asking someone else to try changing the sensors before the expensive changing timing chain option.
Any opinion is much appreciated.
almcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Just to clarify, you have the 1.4L engine, which is the D-4D diesel?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
almcheung

Drives: Yaris 2007 TR
Hi,
Sorry, it's a petrol, must be 1.3 then!
almcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
OK. I would agree with your friend that it has to be one of the two sensors, as 40k is way too low for the chain to be stretched.