Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #55
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Why machined? Seems like a simple part. I guess putting the threads in it could be considered machining.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #56
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I crunched the numbers on my trip out to Toledo today.

First of all, my average speed was 80. I touched 115 once, other than that I kept between 80 and 85, but to be fair we'll call it 80. I drove 269 miles including a couple of short city trips afterwards that amounted to about 5 miles. I filled up before I left because I was curious to see if the intake had any effect on gas mileage. I get back and go to the station and fill up again. From what I have read around the forums, I should be looking at around 30 MPG. I fill up at 8.1 gallons.

33.2 MPG.

Now, confirm or deny my thinking on this. I haven't run this by anyone yet.

I don't know if this engine is necessarily getting colder air as the intake is placed in the engine bay, but I can say that it is getting more air. You can hear it. The MAF sensor measures this increased flow and outputs this information in the form of a high-frequency signal. The ECU reads this signal and adjusts the air/fuel ratio accordingly... it will either run rich or lean depending on what the throttle body is demanding. Cars generally fluctuate between rich and lean constantly, a fact that you will become accustomed to if you ever get an AFR gauge. Anyway, since the engine is getting more air it needs less fuel to start a combustion reaction. This is the basis of an engine... oxygen catalyzes the reaction that occurs when a spark is added to fuel. More oxygen means the car will know it needs less fuel to get going, and in this way an intake can affect gas mileage.

Also, by this logic then an intake by itself on a car is NOT a speed mod. It is an economy mod, unless you have the supporting mods to get MORE fuel into the cylinder DESPITE what the MAF is telling the ECU. This is why an adjustable fuel pump and some type of tuning software is necessary to make a true performance-oriented 1NZ, no matter how you're getting oxygen into the cylinder. (NOS)

Am I right on this?
That seem's backwards to me. I'm quite certain that if you increase airflow you must also increase fuel to keep your air/fuel ratio optimal. This is why more fuel is required with forced induction; because all a turbo or supercharger is really doing is forcing more air into the engine and the more air/fuel, the bigger the combustion. I think the main reason you see gains with a highflow intake is because it decreases resistance on the engine. Analogous to a lightened pully, less resistence leads to less power being saped away. So, the easier air can get into and out of the engine (highflow intake and exhaust), the less drag you have on the engine. I don't really know, however, this is just how I always thought it worked.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #57
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
Why machined? Seems like a simple part. I guess putting the threads in it could be considered machining.
well if you are going to make it out of steel or aluminum..... you will have you machine it, be kinda hard to make it out of hand tools. Well if you were going to make it out of wood, then all you would need is some wood screws a drill and a saw :)
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #58
jdubau55

I was saying make a CAD 3D model of it. Then send the CAD file to various vendors to see the cost of production. You could make it one continuous piece then. Heck no I would make a hand shaped model of it silly
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #59
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Picture 011.jpg

I'm going to be spending a lot of time on rollers if this car is going to have any kind of performance. Frequent trips to the dyno can be expensive, unless of course you sell your windshield as real estate. I'll never pay full price again, but I will put 20,000 miles on a year with that sticker on my window. Fair trade... TI can do some other stuff too, some of which I may look into soon.

She was so fast we had to strap her down!

Picture 012.jpg

... I'm going to spend a few days stewing on the results. For you experts, here is one to tinker with in the meantime.

My car has an intake, header, and pulley and it is running rich. You guys all said it would run lean. What does this mean?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #60
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
sticker looks good, you little dyno wh0re , I thought you were gonna put it at the back?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #61
ChinoCharles
Banned

I was going to put it in the back, but it fit so nicely in my window stripe that I figured I'd put it on the front instead. The back is already so clean, why ruin it? That would be as dumb as having a rear wiper on a Yaris.

OH BURN!

Anyone want to take a crack at these results? The car is running super rich now... I'm talking in the low 11's at WOT. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #62
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
My .02's worth: You've increased the amount of incoming air. In order for your cars computer to overcome this lean condition, it starts taking more fuel. In other words, a lean condition creates a rich command in the computer, and vice versa. I've never heard of just an intake swap doing this. When you mention low 11's, I'm assuming your talking air to fuel ratio, correct? Are your plugs starting to foul out, what do they look like?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #63
asmodai650

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Pacific Blue
Don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm currently getting 35 mpg daily doing 75 on the highway and short city trips in my sedan. Gotta love this car.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yes, we were running a low 11 AFR at WOT... and we have never heard of an intake doing that either.

That gives this intake some pronounced advantages and some pronounced disadvantages. One thing is for sure... I am going to see a rather substantial increase in gas mileage and power very soon.

Haven't looked at the plugs yet, but she is still running fine. I'll have to pull them out and take a looksie. They need to go soon anyway... time for some real spark.

Ashley, say something.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #65
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Chino inspired, modified TRD intake

She sound much throatier now... thinking about putting a breather on the crankcase orface tube and plug the hole in the CAI so she breath fresh air
Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #66
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
She sound much throatier now... thinking about putting a breather on the crankcase orface tube and plug the hole in the CAI so she breath fresh air
may i ask what you did
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #67
jdubau55

Here you put it on the dyno then "stew" on the results. Bastard.....
Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #68
Black Yaris
der Zeck

here is the b4 pic... the filter sat just under the headlight
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #69
ChinoCharles
Banned

I promise you you're the only one in the country with the betTRD.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #70
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post

I promise you you're the only one in the country with the betTRD.
BET?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #71
ChinoCharles
Banned

BETTY-RD
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #72
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Gotcha..... I just call it a TuRD