Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
OK, I took a flashlight out, turned the wheel both directions and looked at the best I could. I felt it and didn't feel any torn spots, but I couldn't feel the entire thing. I also shined the flashlight all underneath my car and I see no grease whatsoever. I'm amazed how clean it is underneath there since it's been 3 weeks since I had it washed.

So for now, I think I'll have Car-X take a look at it. This one store is really good with female customers, not taking them for things that don't need repaired. The last time I was there was due to a road noise I heard at certain speeds that wasn't there before. The Car-X mechanic spent 40 minutes inspecting it, including taking it out for a drive and concluded it was my tires that were making the noise, showing me where the treadwall was separating. I thought it was a bearing. And no charge for what they did.
The only car I've ever owned that had 'weak' CV boots (ones that tore at all...and did so multiple times ) was a GTI. I eventually found a boot product that was tough and constructed as (for lack of a better term) the two pieces of a clam shell glued back together. I just tore the ripped boot off, applied the proper grease/whatever that was required, put the glue that came with the boot along one edge, put the boot on, and applied pressure for as long as the directions stated. No issues after that. I don't know if these are still available, but I'd bet that your boot isn't even torn. It sounds as though Car-X will be honest with you .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Well, I just got home from Car-X; it DID have a small tear, but none of the grease has slung out of it yet. Of course, they didn't have my axle in stock, but tomorrow they'll replace it.

I have no idea how it happened, as no one but me drives my car and I haven't run over any debris in the road.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Hmm. Makes you wonder if the dealership did something.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #22
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Hmm. Makes you wonder if the dealership did something.
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I've always been curious and I should ask if they have legitimate certified Toyota technicians working there on Saturdays - because the only thing you can have done on Saturdays is oil changes. Or maybe just lot boys or rejects from Jiffy Lube.

Do you think driving on rough roads could cause the damage? My new job is on the other side of Indy and that section of the city has horrible roads due to dump trucks and semi's.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I've always been curious and I should ask if they have legitimate certified Toyota technicians working there on Saturdays - because the only thing you can have done on Saturdays is oil changes. Or maybe just lot boys or rejects from Jiffy Lube.

Do you think driving on rough roads could cause the damage? My new job is on the other side of Indy and that section of the city has horrible roads due to dump trucks and semi's.
I don't believe so. The boots on my 09 still look like brand new and I drive on a lot of rough roads. (I was doing an oil change last weekend and always inspect the boots when I have it up on the lift to do so). As they age they can dry-out and become brittle, but this is premature for that to happen on a 2010.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #24
DebbyM46227

I'm at a loss on what happened. Before I got the Yaris, I had a 1997 Chevy Cavalier I bought new and drove 13 years and the boots still looked new the day I traded it in.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ask to get the used parts back when the shop does the work if possible. Id like to see the damage.

My own 09 only has 41k on it and has blown a water pump and an oil pressure sensor. Not the Toyota Im used to but Im sticking with it hoping for goodness in the long haul....
Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #26
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'd be interested what the tear looks like. That's a first I've ever heard on a Yaris and that's including the one's with over 400,000km on them. You'd think if it was from rough roads the tear would be substantial and you would have heard a loud noise when driving.

The fact that there is no grease coming out, paired with how they told you it needs to be changed immediately makes me suspicious of how that tear got there...
Old 05-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #27
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'd be interested what the tear looks like. That's a first I've ever heard on a Yaris and that's including the one's with over 400,000km on them. You'd think if it was from rough roads the tear would be substantial and you would have heard a loud noise when driving.

The fact that there is no grease coming out, paired with how they told you it needs to be changed immediately makes me suspicious of how that tear got there...
I feel bad for bumping an old thread, but here is a picture of mine!

Old 05-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #28
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Bumping this again... but MINE HAS FAILED AGAIN!

What the heck is going on!?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #29
SRV2NV

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Bumping this again... but MINE HAS FAILED AGAIN!

What the heck is going on!?
What brand did you put on? I would be interested to know how aftermarket axles are holding up, and which ones are worth the money, and which ones aren't.
SRV2NV is offline   Reply With Quote