Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Do I need Life Insurance?

I'm 26, just got a 2 months old baby,. never thought about life insurance, then the other day a guy came in and tell me about life insurance.
My family will get 20K if something happen to me for about $26 dollars a month.

Should i? or no.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
$26 seems like a lot to pay for only $20k.

If you have a family, you probably should have life insurance.

It should cover your funeral costs, plus all your debts, and have a little extra left over.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
I always remember what a friend in the business told me: "you can't afford not to have life insurance"

I think that amount is a bit high - you should shop around - ask your employer / banks / credit card companies - somebody will hook you up cheap - no worries!

I pay $26.54 Canadian for about $50K Canadian in Term Life Insurance - and I also have 1 through my wife's work - as well as my own work - so I have an excess of $150K Canadian - seems excessive - but when I die - at least my wife and 2 kids will have some options - as well as it will helf offset our mortgage / funeral costs / kids education / etc
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
thank you, will def shop around.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you have a family you should carry enough insurance to pay off your mortgage (if you have one) and any other debts (autos, revolving accounts, etc.), as well as cover your funeral costs and to get your kid(s) through college. It's also wise to provide for enough funding for your spouse to be able to supplement their income for a few months as they will miss lots of work in the event that you die, and/or may need to relocate.

As others have said that rate sounds quite high. As much as you were quoted I wonder if it's a term policy or an annuity rather than straight insurance, meaning it pays out at the end of a term if you haven't used it. If this is the case it's likely not what you need, and you should instead shop for straight insurance.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
single, no

you have a kid ?

yes, you should have some type of insurance

26 a month for 20,000 = ripoff
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
As someone who used to work in the business a little while back, I would suggest you start with a term-life in the amount a little higher than your total mortgage (or if you rent, the amount of your yearly income after taxes). That's a great place to start for coverage amounts. If the premium is too high for you in that case, then a better angle would be to calculate your monthly budget and multiply it by 12 for your optimal benefit amount (as long as your responsible enough to keep your budget under your income, this should be more affordable). Ideally you should get a Universal Life or Whole Life policy so you have a chance of either 1) Whole life giving you continuous coverage without renewal, or 2) Universal Life giving you Whole Life plus a savings account built-in. It's your call.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
wow...20k for 26 a month...i mean, i was paying 17 a month and getting 500k in the military. and that included hostile fire areas as well.

you must smoke or have some kinda disease...that will greatly reduce amount for amount paid.

if you're really interested, check some higher end angencies. they're all over the net, just look into them and read all the fine print. there was one company i was interested in until i found out my bank (military and vet only bank) has all sorts of stuff and life insurance is one of them. i'm paying 20/mo for 450k...as a ex-smoker. i can also get an IRA or Roth IRA, CD's, bonds, stocks and all sorts of stuff, so check ur bank too.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
single, no

you have a kid ?

yes, you should have some type of insurance

26 a month for 20,000 = ripoff

+1,000,000

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i have it for me and my husband for $200,000 on myself but its through my work so the highest i can get on him is 20,000 but it doesnt cost me that much. you should shop around. you should for sure get it if you have a child.