Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Going back to school with scanner dinner!

So there I was retired, with Parkinson’s, and my 09 Yaris with 49,000 miles on it. Basically no car worries for the rest of my life right? Out of the home that is.

Then my sons car was destroyed in an accident so I gave them Yaris. Now I have a 2002 echo with 82,000 miles on it, and a 2010 crown Vic ex police car with 100,000 miles on it. I went from no worries to maybe some worries.

So I’m worried about check engine lights and trying to keep the car out of the shop which would be ruined us financially to have them fix it. I found this scanner Danner Site on YouTube and the guy really knows about car computers and check engine lights and how to fix them.Site on YouTube and the guy really knows about car computers and check engine lights and how to fix them.So I’ve assigned myself to watch all the scanner dinners I can to learn about how to diagnose and fix this crap.So I’ve assigned myself to watch all the scanner dancers so I can to learn about how to diagnose and fix this crap.

Anyone else watching scanner Dannebrog?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
bronsin

Here’s what I have learned so far from scanner Danner

There are 16 pounds in the OBD two port. 16 should have 12 V to it. Four and five are grounds. Checking these three pins is a place to start.

Sensors like TPS and MAF Typically have 5 v signals from the computer. If they don’t have 5 V the computer can be a problem
Old 09-26-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I wasn't aware of that particular channel. I watch several automotive YouTube channels, so I'm going to have to check Scanner Danner out.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
bronsin

Turns out he’s a teacher in a classroom for automotive applications.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I wasn't aware of that particular channel. I watch several automotive YouTube channels, so I'm going to have to check Scanner Danner out.
What other channels do you watch? I am interested in fixing check engine light problems.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
What other channels do you watch? I am interested in fixing check engine light problems.
Most of them are bubble gum; automotive in nature but strictly for entertainment more than informative.

The one automotive channel I watch that is actually fairly informative and could help you with diagnostics like that is Samcracc. His channel is heavily based on buying salvage title vehicles and rebuilding them. He's worked on a number of cool cars since I started following him. Everything from a Dominos Pizza car to a Ford Focus RS, C6 Corvette and Audi S7. In just about every instance, he'll have a video where he's using a couple different diagnostic tools to check a variety of codes he needs to clear before being able to take the car in for state inspection. In my opinion, he's a good dose of information and entertainment. Not strictly entertainment like some of the other car YouTubers I follow.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
bronsin

That sounds interesting I’ll have to check it out
Old 09-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
That sounds interesting I’ll have to check it out