Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
So... am I just weak, or are those bolts near impossible to unscrew? I couldn't do it... When I tried using a drill, the extension part I insert into the drill broke off, and didn't move the Toyota seat screw at all...
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
So... am I just weak, or are those bolts near impossible to unscrew? I couldn't do it... When I tried using a drill, the extension part I insert into the drill broke off, and didn't move the Toyota seat screw at all...
I'm about to take the front seats out, I'll let you know

Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
swidd

Please do. I tried again, with a socket wrench. No success. I'm thinking it may be welded from the bottom or sealed with very permanent lock-tite... Or that going to the gym didn't help my strength...

Last edited by swidd; 03-31-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
that is a starz bolt. it's on there real tight, but you can get it off, it is not welded.

get a short pipe to increase the torque and use the correct socket for that bolt.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
swidd

lol, I configured my socket wrench short, and was able to twist the bolt about 1/2 rotation, and then that socket head (actually converter piece) broke too! I bow to the mighty Yaris... Now my whole 40 piece socket wrench kit is useless without that converter piece.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #24
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
As somone who has worked for Ford (in assembly) in the '70s, I can testify that seat bolts are given the upmost importance both in strength and torque right up there with seat belt mounting bolts.

I suspect that perhaps loctite is is used to secure them.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Or, you can do what I've done on certain cars, and buy a bath towel from Walmart to put under you that you can fold, easily, in various ways, to provide support wherever you need it on a long drive. Works great. And I've never heard anyone seriously question the hardness of Walmart's towel bolts.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #26
swidd

Alright, it finally gave in. Brute force!! ... And $5.99 to auto zone.

Just so I'm sure, I can disconnect the wire harness under the seat and remove the seat, and continue driving with the seat removed for a few days without the airbags deploying?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #27
Wayboo

Drives: Red two door hatchback
Seat mod works great thanks
Wayboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
frostbitten

Drives: yaris 07 3dr
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayboo View Post
Seat mod works great thanks
frostbitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #29
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Hey drudging up an oooold DIY thread here. So I get severe leg pain on long drives (3+ hours) because I am 6'2" and I guess I don't really get any support on my right leg. If I lift the seat up in this way so my leg hopefully has a little support and I am not using the muscles on my inner thigh for hours and hours and hoooours to keep my leg in place and work the gas petal, this will hopefully gibe my leg a little more support? Also I think a DIY cruze control would also help since I would not have to mind the gas petal on long drives.

But does anyone else have this particular leg pain or am I just borken? Thanks all.

- Jason

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #30
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Lifting the front of the seat with a spacer or washers will help a lot.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #31
darthmynock
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2008
So, that is why I can't stand long trips 3hrs or +, b/c of the pain on my leg?

Adding this to my to-do list !!

ty
!!

Last edited by darthmynock; 10-19-2011 at 02:45 AM.
darthmynock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Thumbs up Me too

Just did this mod on the driver's seat. Went with 5/16 inch lift; will see how it goes then decide to raise/lower and if to do the passenger's side.

The bolts I bought were 50 mm long, and seemed too long by about 5 mm but worked. I had to loosen the rear mounting bolts to allow the rails to move a bit (don't loosen more than 1.5 turns, or the chair can't fully slide back and forth while completing this mod.) so that I could get the new bolts started in the front.

All four original bolts were E10 headed Torx(R), and weren't that hard to loosen with a 3/8 inch breaker bar.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #33
Radvr6t
Toyota Echo NOOB!

Drives: 2005 4dr Echo hatchback
Did this and surprisingly noticed the 5/8ths difference!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #34
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I was thinking of putting a small igloo cooler on end and sittin on that.
Not really, I was wanting to sit lower actually. I nearly cannot fit in without bangin my head now, and nearly touch the ceiling where I sit now.
Future mod, no rush.
I had a van once, captain chair install without the riser.
Made you feel like a midget drivin it.
I took my time bolting down the passenger side, and had some fun with my friends for awhile one summer, putting em on their back on take off.
I also had threaded rod as a lock and latch on my driver door.
Those were the days with a rednecked out rat rod van I got for someone owing me 75 bucks and the payoff.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #35
driverofchuckles

Drives: 2008 Yaris. Manual everything
just did this. took all of 5 min! the difference is AMAZING! it was also my first official "mod" :D i now have mod fever. i want to do it all! my Chuckles (when you're 6'4" and you unfold out of a Yaris it's the usual reaction.) will be epic!

(side note: technically it's Chuckles II as my beloved '93 two door tercel, most basic model out there, was Chuckles I. since this car drives, handles, and feels like that one the name fit)
driverofchuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #36
YarMatey

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 5dr Liftback
Just picked up the hardware to do this mod. This is my second Yaris and I don’t ever remember having the arse and leg pain for long drives with my first one but I’m happy to have found this mod and hope it helps!

Only reccomendation I can make for other who want to do this mod is to be careful about mixing stainless with other metal types. If moisture is introduced the stainless will react and start to corrode the other metals touching it, which could be a safety concern if it’s the seat track mount.

Great informative write up though! Thanks a bunch!
YarMatey is offline   Reply With Quote