Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
nehal.hasnain

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2009
Is it a good idea to move from Synthetic oil to normal oil ?

Been using 5W40 synthetic oil for last 1 year for my 2009 HB yaris. Now it's time for another oil change. Just wondering if moving back to 20W50 normal oil will have any impact on engine ? Or should I stick with synthetic one as it's used to with this type of oil ?

PS : average temperature in my country is 20-30 degree Celsius and it never below 20.

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk
nehal.hasnain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
No it wont make any difference. Use what you like.

BTW the main reason you change the oil is because of contamination in the oil from the engine. It makes no difference whether the oil is regular oil or synthetic. Although technically the synthetic will hold together and lubricate longer than regular.

So you want to be very suspicious of people claiming you can leave synthetic oil in for longer drain intervals than the manufacturer recommends.

One thing synthetic oil DOES do is flow better than regular oil at temperatures below say 20 degrees F. So if you live where its below zero a lot it makes sense to use it.

Which in Bangladesh I don't suppose it does!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
20-30°C is not enough to justify 20w50. It is only going to consume more fuel.

Synthetic or mineral oil, stick with 5w30 or 10w30 unless your cou try only sees 30+

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
What's the best grade of oil to use in hot/dry climates like Phoenix, AZ?

-
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Just use a good quality oil, 5W30 as requested by Toyota. You guys are not racing on a track, don't need anything else.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
What's the best grade of oil to use in hot/dry climates like Phoenix, AZ?

-
5W-30 is what the owners manual says for all climates but Phoenix gets to 100+ so you might want to speak to the service manager at Toyota and ask them.

Normally the OM is the bible for all such questions. However if I moved to Phoenix the first thing Id do is ask the SM at Toyota what they recommend.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
5W-30 is what the owners manual says for all climates but Phoenix gets to 100+ so you might want to speak to the service manager at Toyota and ask them.

Normally the OM is the bible for all such questions. However if I moved to Phoenix the first thing Id do is ask the SM at Toyota what they recommend.
So what did they recommend to you?

You know some part of Canada regularly get 100+°F in the summer? I would say unless you live in the middle East, where temps stay 100+ at night, you don't need heavy weight oil.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #8
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post

You know some part of Canada regularly get 100+°F in the summer? I would say unless you live in the middle East, where temps stay 100+ at night, you don't need heavy weight oil.

Ive noticed people posting from places like the Middle East that they use 20W-50. Why I don't know. MAybe Toyota does?

Phoenix gets to 120 in the summer. Stop and go driving with the AC on under those conditions would be about the most extreme operating conditions I could imagine. I definitely would want some input from people with professional experience about what oil to use.

I have serious doubts 5W-30 is going to cut it.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
The dreaded oil thread!
Here is my understanding of synthetic vs regular oil.
Dinosaur oil does not carry heat as efficiently as synthetic, lower sheer factor (less
friction reducing capabilities) and requires changing more frequently.
This would only make a difference in extreme conditions or use.
In high temps I would also recommend the use of Water Wetter.
In my water cooled Ducati on a hot day 90F+ my temps were very high, redline on the gauge.
Using Water Wetter reduced the temp by about 7 degrees.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
IllusionX

Quote:
Ive noticed people posting from places like the Middle East that they use 20W-50. Why I don't know. MAybe Toyota does?

Phoenix gets to 120 in the summer. Stop and go driving with the AC on under those conditions would be about the most extreme operating conditions I could imagine. I definitely would want some input from people with professional experience about what oil to use.

I don't think temps are sooo bad in AZ to go all the way to 20w50. But like I said, they middle East guys use it because night temps are probably 100F over there. Lol

You are seeing 60's temps in the winter, I would def stay around 5w30 to 10w40.the

Old 08-24-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

My blue Yaris = 'Phoenix Summer Weather Tested' , so to speak. Lots of stop and go as well. Also, have never done a cooling system flush on the '07 either......and I've never had any Yaris issues in Phoenix and always = running 5-30 oil.. That heat though.........usually one of the only places in the U.S. that regularly has a summer heat index that exceeds any of the major Texas metros. One of my cousins lived within the Phoenix Metro for 10 years....and at certain times during the summer....he'd go to Prescott to escape that level of heat. AFAIK, my cousin always used the recommended in the OM oil weight for any vehicle (subcompacts), usually 5-30.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
I don't think temps are sooo bad in AZ to go all the way to 20w50. But like I said, they middle East guys use it because night temps are probably 100F over there. Lol

You are seeing 60's temps in the winter, I would def stay around 5w30 to 10w40.the

I could see using 10W-40 in a place like TX or Phoenix. Now that the wifes Camry is at 123k miles and is starting to use a little oil, I put a couple of quarts of 10W-40 in for the summer months. I can go 5000 miles without adding a quart that way. (usually)
Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
On my 2000 Accord, I started adding 'Bars Main Seal Repair' oil-additive to my oil at every oil change starting around 90K miles and it never "lost" oil again (sold it near 200K miles). Before that, it was using/losing at least a quart or so per oil change cycle (not sure where it went, but I never had any oil leaks on the ground under car or anything like that). It's an awesome product, and solved all my oil "loss" issues on my Accord for the 100K or so miles that I used it.

-
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #14
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Before that, it was using/losing at least a quart or so per oil change cycle (not sure where it went, but I never had any oil leaks on the ground under car or anything like that).

-
It was burning the oil but now with catalytic converters, the oil was being incinerated by the cat before it could appear as blue smoke out the tailpipe. IF you follow a car with hundreds of thousands of miles on it when it has just been started, you will see a puff of blue smoke every time the trans shifts. That's because the cat hasn't heated up yet. Once its up to temp...no more blue smoke.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #15
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:

And that's what I thought, but I was wrong. I go to Phoenix every summer to visit my mother-in-law. I usually spend a couple of weeks there then I go to Las Vegas for a week (I'm a teacher, so I'm off all summer).

I take either my 2010 Yaris or my 2012 Honda Civic.

I was concerned because Honda only recommends a 0W20 oil for the Civic. So I E-Mailed Mobil 1 back in 2013 about my concern, their response;

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry. Mobil 1 0W20 AFE does provide excellent high temperature protection and thermal stability is outstanding. It is certainly fine to use Mobil 1 0W20 in the environment that you described. According to the specifications for your vehicle, 0W20 is recommended and we highly recommend that you stay with your manufacturer's requirement.
Sincerely,
Mobil Help Desk
1-800-ASK-MOBIL

Well, if Mobil 1 0W20 AFE (what I use in the Honda) can handle Phoenix and Las Vegas temperatures, can't I assume that Mobil 1 5W30 EP (what I use in the Yaris) can also handle those extremes.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
If in doubt about what to use, refer to the ownwers manual.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
If in doubt about what to use, refer to the ownwers manual.

Yes! And if you have a question about anything about your car check the OM THEN ask this excellent forum.

The OM is the basis for all my advice.

But there ARE exceptions! (see below!)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
And that's what I thought, but I was wrong. I go to Phoenix every summer to visit my mother-in-law. I usually spend a couple of weeks there then I go to Las Vegas for a week (I'm a teacher, so I'm off all summer).

I take either my 2010 Yaris or my 2012 Honda Civic.

I was concerned because Honda only recommends a 0W20 oil for the Civic. So I E-Mailed Mobil 1 back in 2013 about my concern, their response;

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry. Mobil 1 0W20 AFE does provide excellent high temperature protection and thermal stability is outstanding. It is certainly fine to use Mobil 1 0W20 in the environment that you described. According to the specifications for your vehicle, 0W20 is recommended and we highly recommend that you stay with your manufacturer's requirement.
Sincerely,
Mobil Help Desk
1-800-ASK-MOBIL

Well, if Mobil 1 0W20 AFE (what I use in the Honda) can handle Phoenix and Las Vegas temperatures, can't I assume that Mobil 1 5W30 EP (what I use in the Yaris) can also handle those extremes.
I respect what the OM says and it was interesting to read the letter Mobile sent you. You cant go far wrong to follow their advice. Especially since Mobile says do what the OM sez!

However!

When your car hits 100k miles and you put 0W-20 (or even 5W-30) synthetic oil in it the oil consumption is going to go UP! Even more when its 120 degrees! My wifes Camry with ~120k uses a quart of 5W-30 (regular) in less than 2000 miles but only about half a quart of 10W-40 in ~5000 miles. Since synthetic oil is thinner I have to believe oil consumption would be even higher in that case.

If you have children like I do when they come to visit theres often no oil on the dipstick and 15 psi in the tires. Having been a car mechanic Im pretty sure the general public isn't to far from those things too.