Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
grilled cheeseus

Drives: 2007 3 door 5MT
I built a camping trailer and towed it to Arizona

Sharing this to inspire the curious and refute the naysayers regarding long-distance towing with a Yaris.

I built a camping/travel trailer on a $300 Harbor Freight "super duty folding trailer" frame and drove from NY to AZ over ~2 weeks last fall, about 900 pounds towed, zero issues with my '07 hatchback (on its third cross-continent trip).

Yes, it's slow going over 6000 foot mountain passes, but the roads are full of vehicles with a worse power/weight ratio (e.g. semi trucks), and they do just fine too.

Blog post about the trailer (written before the trip):

https://blog.c-mart.in/posts/hazard-...travel-trailer

Photo album of the trailer build last Spring:

https://imgur.com/a/3hfjtIH

Some things I've done to my Yaris:
  • Curt 11050 "hidden-style" hitch bolted to the recovery points
  • Curt 45028 ball mount with 4 5/8" rise (very recommended to lift your ball)
  • Firestone 4136 air spring kit (very recommended, eliminates saggy rear, easy to install)
  • This trailer wiring harness kit, spliced into the rear brakes and turn signals
  • 5000 lumen light bar from Walmart (stupid and unnecessary, therefore necessary)
  • Junkyard alloy rims from a Chevy Aveo (same as above)

Some shots of the trip to Arizona..

Random pee break:

If this is OK, then towing 900 pounds with a Yaris is definitely OK:

If this is OK (yes they are all connected) then what I'm doing is definitely OK:

Sleeping at a rest stop:

Stayed in St. Louis for a week to attend a conference. The motel let me to park next to the front office for security:

Spent a few days in Tulsa OK to help some people from the internet build a boat:

They taught me to weld, so I disabled the "tilt bed" feature on the trailer frame. Taking this slop out of the trailer tongue made the entire ride less jouncy:

Somewhere in New Mexico:

Final sleep on the road, I-10 in SE Arizona:

Rolling into Tucson (destination and where I am currently):

I've been living out of the trailer (in a friend's backyard) since October. I doubled the electrical system capacity (another AGM battery and solar panel) to take advantage of the Arizona sun and charge my Onewheel (which I use to commute to work).

Later this spring I'll de-snowbird back to NY, probably via the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by grilled cheeseus; 01-01-2019 at 08:25 PM.
grilled cheeseus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer