Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #37
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
The world has changed...
And stayed the same.

In the 80's we were living in Burlington, so not really a pricey area compared to a lot of the GTA, and went through exactly the same thing. It crashed, came down, then wages increased and it became affordable again.

Then the cycle started all over... just like it will again, and again

I don't regret moving out to the sticks - you may have figured that out
In fact, I would say it was one of the smartest moves we ever made.
My commute was either 40 or 60 minutes each way, which I never minded, and the move allowed me to do things for my family that I would have never been able to otherwise do.
Everything is cheaper up here. Homes, taxes, gas, even minor hockey was half the price of the GTA at the time, and the lower costs created opportunities that we would not have previously had. As a result, we have a large property with a big shop, and were mortgage free in our 40's.

I guess it all depends on what your priorities are, but you're not stuck in the GTA, living there is a choice.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #38
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Bottom line is it ain't easy in this world. And depending on you're age, the harder it is. I'm 36. My parents grew up in a time where an average house cost 3 years of an average income. That same house now costs 15 years of the average income. Seems everyrhing has doubled to quadroupled in price, but the wages havent even doubled. The world has changed...
im 27 and im basically unemployable because im too expensive to hire.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #39
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
im 27 and im basically unemployable because im too expensive to hire.
Then your skills do not reflect your asking salary. People will pay what you are worth
Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #40
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
And stayed the same.

In the 80's we were living in Burlington, so not really a pricey area compared to a lot of the GTA, and went through exactly the same thing. It crashed, came down, then wages increased and it became affordable again.

Then the cycle started all over... just like it will again, and again

I don't regret moving out to the sticks - you may have figured that out
In fact, I would say it was one of the smartest moves we ever made.
My commute was either 40 or 60 minutes each way, which I never minded, and the move allowed me to do things for my family that I would have never been able to otherwise do.
Everything is cheaper up here. Homes, taxes, gas, even minor hockey was half the price of the GTA at the time, and the lower costs created opportunities that we would not have previously had. As a result, we have a large property with a big shop, and were mortgage free in our 40's.

I guess it all depends on what your priorities are, but you're not stuck in the GTA, living there is a choice.
Very much agree. Mortgages were much lower years ago but interest was much higher. If you run the numbers at the end of the day it ends up being virtually the same as today's low interest high house cost.

Sure some.things are different, no doubt about that, but it is not nearly as different as people tend think it is. What changed is student debt as well as how much tens and students spend on various things (as well as some other factors)
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #41
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I think my main issue with all this is I'm a single income. I don't know anyone my age who has bought a house on a single income. Yet in the late 80's my dad was able to buy a place on his own, had a new mustang, bought a $900 vcr, $2700 TV, etc. And he worked in a grocery store.... big money there.... Hell I only know a hand full of people my age that bought a house with a dual income. And most of them had help. A lot of help. Matter of fact, hundred of thousands of help in most all of those cases. I'm not saying I can't do it on my own. And have every intention of buying out of the city to keep er cheap. It's just getting to the point of having the down payment. It's tough to save 40 grand on your own. And lets be honest, entering that game with less is probably not the best idea.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #42
tmontague

Quote:
I think my main issue with all this is I'm a single income. I don't know anyone my age who has bought a house on a single income. Yet in the late 80's my dad was able to buy a place on his own, had a new mustang, bought a $900 vcr, $2700 TV, etc. And he worked in a grocery store.... big money there.... Hell I only know a hand full of people my age that bought a house with a dual income. And most of them had help. A lot of help. Matter of fact, hundred of thousands of help in most all of those cases. I'm not saying I can't do it on my own. And have every intention of buying out of the city to keep er cheap. It's just getting to the point of having the down payment. It's tough to save 40 grand on your own. And lets be honest, entering that game with less is probably not the best idea.
Absolutely, single income would have to be a high paying professional grad degree type gig to afford a house on your own in most cases in the GTA. I am fortunate I married my high school sweetheart who has been doing very well in her profession and found a job right our of Uni.

That said, we live in an area we do tight now because we did not want to live outside our means. Money is tight and i have way too much student debt, but that was always the plan. 10 years from now I will have a very good income and our kids will be heading into their teens and we will still be in our 30's.

Have goals, make a plan and follow it. Most people my age that I know who are lost spent most of their time in school spending cash on booze and not planning their future. To be employable you have to be better than everyone else and bring something to the table.

Like you said it would be very difficult on a single income, find a lady friend and get cozy !
Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #43
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Then your skills do not reflect your asking salary. People will pay what you are worth
nah they will pay me what im worth, if you cant pay it then dont hire me, my skills reflect a modest salary of 30k or above, if you cant pay me a liveable wage your not deserving to employ me nobody can live on 20k and below, lmao.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #44
HannaMontana
Banned

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
nah they will pay me what im worth, if you cant pay it then dont hire me, my skills reflect a modest salary of 30k or above, if you cant pay me a liveable wage your not deserving to employ me nobody can live on 20k and below, lmao.
The whole peculiarity is that not everyone understands how much real life skills cost. And not everyone is ready to pay for super-cool qualifications.
HannaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote