Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2022, 11:39 PM   #1
yaris2014toyota

Drives: Yaris 2014 2-Door LE
LED bulb for climate control knob? (Plus question re: no. of bulbs in a knob)

Yaris 2014 LE 2-Door Liftback here.

I have Two questions regarding this image:

My Two Questions are:

(1) Per my research, there's only 1 bulb in that knob (part number 90010-01145), (LINK).

But this doesn't make sense. There need to be 2 bulbs, one that lights up when the middle button is pressed (in the pic above it is currently pressed), and one "background" light that lights-up when the car lights are turned on (e.g. at night).

Thoughts?

(2) I'm going to embark on the process of installing a bulb into the knob so that the symbols and the light on the circular edge can light up again.

I searched "climate control bulb" in Amazon Garage, filtered by my Yaris model, and got a whole bunch of LED search results (LINK).

Do these LED search results look like a legit substitute for "part number 90010-01145" to you?

I would really like to go with LED because they are so much more durable.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by yaris2014toyota; 11-15-2022 at 01:58 AM.
yaris2014toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Though my Yaris is one generation older, I do recognize these knobs so let me share my experience.

There are three rounded knobs in the Yaris and each one has one bulb for the permanent light.
The internal circulation button has a seaparate bulb so lets ignore this one completely.

When one of those three bulbs died for me long time ago, I asked the dealership for replacement. The official Toyota statement is that all three bulbs must be changed in order to have equal light intensity. And they ordered classic bulbs, e.g. no LED. It worked a few years.

Now, when one of those three classic bulbs died again, I replaced them all with LEDs.

So you need to get 3 pieces of MiniLED with T4,2 size. Note that there are other sizes like T3 or T4,7 - but these will not fit. Color is completely up to you - I went for green as I was used to green. Those LED bulbs I bought in the local shop did fit in mechanically but were poorly made and the bayonet mount did not work. I had to hand-pick a few pieces that fitted in and hold in position.

The tricky part is also that LED obviously lights only in one way - so if you put them there incorrectly, they will not light up. Fortunately you cannot damage anything - if it is not lighting up then you can just re-mount it turned by 180 degrees and they will work.

I am quite satisfied with the LED light now - although I must admit that classic bulb with all-directions-emitting characteristics works better in terms of even light distribution.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:57 AM   #3
yaris2014toyota

Drives: Yaris 2014 2-Door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
Though my Yaris is one generation older, I do recognize these knobs so let me share my experience.

There are three rounded knobs in the Yaris and each one has one bulb for the permanent light.
The internal circulation button has a seaparate bulb so lets ignore this one completely.

When one of those three bulbs died for me long time ago, I asked the dealership for replacement. The official Toyota statement is that all three bulbs must be changed in order to have equal light intensity. And they ordered classic bulbs, e.g. no LED. It worked a few years.

Now, when one of those three classic bulbs died again, I replaced them all with LEDs.

So you need to get 3 pieces of MiniLED with T4,2 size. Note that there are other sizes like T3 or T4,7 - but these will not fit. Color is completely up to you - I went for green as I was used to green. Those LED bulbs I bought in the local shop did fit in mechanically but were poorly made and the bayonet mount did not work. I had to hand-pick a few pieces that fitted in and hold in position.

The tricky part is also that LED obviously lights only in one way - so if you put them there incorrectly, they will not light up. Fortunately you cannot damage anything - if it is not lighting up then you can just re-mount it turned by 180 degrees and they will work.

I am quite satisfied with the LED light now - although I must admit that classic bulb with all-directions-emitting characteristics works better in terms of even light distribution.
Thank you for sharing.
yaris2014toyota is offline   Reply With Quote