Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #37
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Here is the tire size I'm running on the left. Oem 15" steel rims and the xd springs. I had to remove the rear mud guards and there is basically no extra clearance to the rear bumber. Its safe to say, on xd springs (estimated 1-2" lift), this is as large of a tire that will fit a 2 door hatchback gen2 without major modifications, ie: cuttin stuff..

On the right is my hopeful tire size with the 3-4" lift and most likely a reason to get out the cutoff wheel.

Might need some horribly offset rims for those massive shoes lol

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577

Last edited by myfirstyota; 01-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #38
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Here is the tire size I'm running on the right. Oem 15" steel rims and the xd springs. I had to remove the rear mud guards and there is basically no extra clearance to the rear bumber. Its safe to say, on xd springs (estimated 1-2" lift), this is as large of a tire that will fit a 2 door hatchback gen2 without major modifications, ie: cuttin stuff..

On the left is my hopeful tire size with the 3-4" lift and most likely a reason to get out the cutoff wheel.

Might need some horribly offset rims for those massive shoes lol
Did you get left and right backwards in the description LOL? I see the difference there is a lot. I was doing more looking on line and discovered the SX4 has the same style strut as the Yaris and there are 2" lifts for them that look the same as the yaris one I found. I'm trying to find out if the thread size and pitch are the same on their struts as the Yaris, if so the possibilities went way up for sources. Also the kits are basically a bolt extender and a second mount top stacked on top of each other, I chucked my old strut mounts at the local scrap yard but could go back and get them or another set then I just need the bolt extenders and may be able to source or have those machined, costs go way down and they would be easy to install.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #39
Maritime

Here is one of the SX4 kits installed, it's the same kit as the Ebay one I found basically.

I think if I get some used mounts (wish I kept mine) and figure out the bolt extension I can lift the front the same way cheap.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #40
Maritime

I think I am going to stop at the junk yard and see if my old struts and mounts are still in the junk pile. If so I am grabbing the mounts back.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #41
Maritime

Found a review on an SX4 forum about the Tema4x4 lifts and they look good. I'm going to see if I can replicate it but if I can't I will likey buy it. Between that kit, clearancing the wheel wells, and maybe some spring helpers to reduce sag, wheel spacers if needed I should be able to get the lift I want.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #42
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Yea I didn't throw out any of my strut bushing. Dealer wants $140 a piece for those chunks of rubber.
Love the sx4 idea, if your threads match up you're golden.
I'm assuming you seen how ctscott lifted his crashy? This is how I'm doing it, I believe it would be stronger and cheaper than shock extenders in the top side. But I'm no engineer.

And yea, I can swap an engine, but apparently don't know my left from my right lol

Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #43
Maritime

I Did the KYB quick struts cause one of my front springs was broken and I couldn't get springs alone. Decided to go home for lunch, stopped and found one of my tossed struts with the mount, the other the mount fell off and they were buried in snow so may need to wait till spring to get the other. Anyway I can now look at the strut and come up with a lift to copy the Russian or SX4 design.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

So we finally got some proper snow in the golden horseshoe this weekend. I've always loved driving in bad weather. Don't ask me why, I just do. So when I seen that st. Catherine's was expecting between 15-30cm (6-12") I hadded out.

This car is a tank in the snow with the mild lift and over sized tires. The drifts were up to 12-14" is some spots. Even when stopping in the drifts the car just pulled itself out like nothing. The tires aren't anything special. Actually some of the cheapest money can buy. Lil loud on the pavement, but grab pretty good in the hard pack and loose fluf. Antares is the brand. $500 on the rims.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #45
Maritime

Nice. We're going to end up with 2' by end of tomorrow. I need my lift done yesterday. Big reason to do it is just what you wrote. Even drifts wont stop you if you have the ground clearance.

I brain stormed a bit and think I have a way to make the Russia lift myself with my old struts donating parts. If I get a chance today to work on it and it works Ill post up pics and description.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #46
Maritime

Didn't get a chance to work on the lift. The plan I have is to cut off the ends of the old strut shafts, then use a deep bolt, like a lug to attach it to the new strut tops and extend them, use a second set of mounts and stack them just like the Ebay kits. I just need to research how much thread contact will be enough to be strong enough, I may need to have someone weld it. I have the M12x1.25 lugs and they have about 1" of thread in them so just the threads would be .5" engagement on each half of the extension. I have an engineer buddy I can ask about it once I build it. From my measurements though I'll be able to get as much as 2" of strut extension from that setup. If the engineer says the 1", .5" each isn't enough strength the lug has 1.75" in total length, just the .75" has no threads so I could have the stud welded in there and give more thread engagement on the lower shaft if needed. The Russian kit doen't look like it has much more than .5" of thread on it.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #47
Maritime

Dammit, went to do some on the lift idea and broke my grinder. Need to go pick up a new one, likely on the weekend when I can get to harbor freight in Maine. Progress will continue then.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #48
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Keep us posted

Side note: the metal place called me the other day. My pieces for my rear spacers are ready for pick up. Hopefully I can get there before they close in the next week.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #49
Maritime

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Keep us posted

Side note: the metal place called me the other day. My pieces for my rear spacers are ready for pick up. Hopefully I can get there before they close in the next week.
good luck, I hate trying to make it to a shop/store that closes early. I may be able to use my dremel for part of the idea and if so I'll get some progress pics up. Right now there is nothing to see LOL.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #50
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Dremel... The tool sent from god. Hahaha
I use mine constantly

Old 01-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #51
Maritime

Got grinder to work. This much so far. I think it will be plenty strong. Working out how to gain the 1.5" needed under the mount.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #52
Maritime

Ok. This is a start. I can do 2 of these. There is 1.5" between the 2 spring perches so now just need something as the meat in the sandwhich.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #53
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

You might be on to something there sir

Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #54
Maritime

Trip to ct and found this in the boat.section. high density boat roller. Uv and salt resistant and can carry a huge boat on it.

Cut an inch and half slice and Roberts your mothers brother.