Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2023, 05:49 AM   #1
DK-TTH

Drives: Yaris Orange Limited Edition
Motor problem Toyota Yaris

Hey Yaris World, I have an Toyota Yaris 1.33 Orange Limited Edition which gives me and Toyota trouble.

I need help to find out why my car´s rpm goes down to 500 rpm and the motor sounds bad.

IMPORTANT : When a strong wind (above 10 m/s) come in from left side in ca. 45 degrees, this problem starts.

When the problem starts you can feel it because the car starts to vibrate a lot and lose power and that you can feel when you drive and then you need to stop the car and turn it off and just start it again and the problem is gone in some days.

When you turn it off and on again the rpm is normal again.

The Toyota dealership have tried many things since the car had 10.340 km running (now over 100.000 km) but it still comes and goes every week, so want to hear if some of you out there have seen or hear about this too or have same problem ... ?

Video´s :

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsSHGjs8esLpkM8iMjssCBQKLehEfA

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsSHGjs8esLpkNAoc5koI6R-u-tkBg

Best Regards

Thomas Thomsen

Denmark
DK-TTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
id like to know what toyota has tryed...before shotgun guessing, but i have to wonder if the ecu has an issue
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 01:22 AM   #3
DK-TTH

Hey sh0rtlife, here is what they did after my fight with Toyota in some years about this problem before they did something but still it is not working after 4 years :

1. They found a piece of engine gasket with one of the valves when they disassembled the engine.

2. They changed the gasket around the intake and outtake from engine.

3. They cleaned of soot someplace in engine system.

4. They changed the EGR valve.

5. They put on new air intake so not air from front of car but inside engine compartment.

But nothing helped ... :-(
Old 06-13-2023, 04:00 AM   #4
sh0rtlife

i cant help but think ecu or throttlebody issue as an rpm drop can only really be managed by the ecu and throttlbody, anything else would be throwing codes..

i dont even think its possible for the injectors to cause an rpm drop without triggering an o2 code

the only other thing i can think of would be some kind of issue with the transmission assuming its an auto, the converter or pump could trigger a heavy load and not throw codes....diagnosing it would be neerly impossible short of a trans swap...possibly hook up a pressure guage to the in and out on the trans as well as the service port and see what its doing when this happens
Old 06-13-2023, 07:00 AM   #5
DK-TTH

Hey sh0rtlife, thanks for answers.

There is none fault codes on electronis or valves when it happends or lamps in car dashboard ligthning, only ignition fault codes on cylinders that they did no ignite.

It is with manuel 6 gear ... :-)

Is it normally that rpm goes up and down like in my car ... ?

Best Regards

Thomas Thomsen

Denmark
Old 06-15-2023, 01:48 AM   #6
sh0rtlife

in an automatic rpms will drop with various different things but in a manual NO

hmm fault codes on specific cyls as in which ones?, sounds like something cuttig the power to the coil packs or injectors
Old 06-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Very interesting. That's going to be difficult without a code. You might want to invest in a code reader like an "ultragauge" that can display "pending" codes. Very worthwhile investment. It's hard to think something that runs like that would not have at least one pending code. It sounds like an intermittent miss, could be a failing coil, failing spark plug, failing injector, or failing electric connection. Pending codes show up before the check engine light, and you could get lucky and have it tell you where to look.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:27 PM   #8
mirageman

Drives: 2009 yaris
Does it have a MAP sensor or MAF sensor? I wonder if it thinks the air is a different temperature or if it thinks the manifold pressure is wrong. Your statement that it happens with that specific heat and wind is interesting. If you had a code reader that you can monitor live data, like ultragauge, you could see intake air temp and pressure. Sometimes you have no active codes until it really gets bad, but you will most likely have "pending" codes.
mirageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:03 AM   #9
DK-TTH

Hey mirageman, Toyota have now changed the air intake to the motor so it takes the air inside the motor room and it turns backwards.

And now it has been running in 30 days without problems ... :-)

So now the question is why .... but it must have something to do with the air pressure into the motor there makes problems.

Best Regards

Thomas Thomsen