Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
VVT-I vs VTEC ???????????????

Need to know what the major difference...i know vtec got the lift on it but which one is faster? i know yaris beat the fit 0-60 by about .6 sec. but is there anything else???
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Both are variable valve timing. I think Honda invented the technology. Now everyone uses it. It can be adapted for power or mileage. I had a Civic VX with VTEC tuned for mileage, but the Civic Si uses the VTEC tuning for power. Obviously, the Yaris and Fit are both tuned for mileage.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

i see!!!

was hoping you can tell me which one is better that the other..i thought yaris got the lift as well but i was wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Both are variable valve timing. I think Honda invented the technology. Now everyone uses it. It can be adapted for power or mileage. I had a Civic VX with VTEC tuned for mileage, but the Civic Si uses the VTEC tuning for power. Obviously, the Yaris and Fit are both tuned for mileage.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
was hoping you can tell me which one is better that the other..i thought yaris got the lift as well but i was wrong..
At this point, VTEC is still a bit more advanced. "Which is better," though, is still a bit too vague. I can tell you this- VTEC is, at this point, easier to tune for power, simply because of the huge amount of aftermarket support (Hondata and the like). VVT-i is advancing quickly, though, they have come a long way in a very short time. Toyota first used VVT-i in, what? 1993? The first Honda with VTEC was the Interceptor motorcycle in 1978.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com

Last edited by Moose; 02-28-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
Toyota has a VVT version with L called.. er.. VVTL-i, engine code 1zzfe (I think). Its used on the current MR2 Spyder and Corolla Sportivo models. Same engine used by Lotus on the Exige as well.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
We'll never get anything remotely that cool here in the States.

By the way (stereotypical Yankee question)- if y'all are down under, are we up top?

Yup, I am an idiot.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
We'll never get anything remotely that cool here in the States.

By the way (stereotypical Yankee question)- if y'all are down under, are we up top?

Yup, I am an idiot.

Moose
Resident Redneck

spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by as400g33k View Post
Toyota has a VVT version with L called.. er.. VVTL-i, engine code 1zzfe (I think). Its used on the current MR2 Spyder and Corolla Sportivo models. Same engine used by Lotus on the Exige as well.
That's the 2ZZ-GE which has VVTL-i, 1ZZ is just plain old VVT-i

Best way to explain the difference? the dyno. Look at the attached picture and see where the 1ZZ starts to run out of breath? That's where the high-rev cam on the 2ZZ kicks in and gives one heck of an extra kick in the pants.

Honda's original VTEC as seen in NSX, or civic/integra type R works on this basis too, extra performance kick at high RPMs.

Problem with this, of course, is that you need to have your engine revving hard at all time to get best performance out of it, there's not a lot down low...

The VTEC we see in the Fit and other "city" cars, is more aimed toward reducing consumption and emission throughout the rev range, rather than maximizing power. I'm not even 100% sure that there are two cam profiles for the Fit's VTEC engine, it may just control the timing in the same way our VVT-i does.
Attached Images

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
marcus
toyota

kewl!!

wow that was detailed info... daym i was hoping yaris has the lift but i guess i was wrong just oredered it and getting it end of april...maybe i should switch to matrix xrs instead...vvtl-i engine on it just dont like the shifting on that car.. kinna rough...
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
wow that was detailed info... daym i was hoping yaris has the lift but i guess i was wrong just oredered it and getting it end of april...maybe i should switch to matrix xrs instead...vvtl-i engine on it just dont like the shifting on that car.. kinna rough...
hahah, at least you can still get the xrs. i think that got discontinued last year for the US. damn you canadians and your RS's and XRS's!!

--B
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
marcus
toyota

rs - xrs

yah it was discontinued the xrs i was gonna get that first time it came out but the car look kinna funny..i just what its heart the ( VVTL-I ) engine on it.. maybe put it on the yaris... sweet.. over 170 hp if that can be done plus 6 speed gear box..