Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Doing too well in the snow

We had to stay late the other night. The roads were crappy. I was nodding off while waiting to leave for the day.

Decided to beat feet. Put on cover alls and "the helmet". Cleaned up the car and soon as it was about seventy fahrenheit on the scangage kicked it down.

The roads were poor, maybe two or three inches of snow (about half to three fourths of a decimeter), ambients were about twenty five fahr (I think -6 celsius). Visibility was so so, but ample for conditions.

Passed one coworker with comfortable margins at just twenty miles per hour. I have to remember that she's terrified of snow driving. Later she said I almost knocked her off of the road. She threatened to buy a "big truck" and "squash all people who get in my way". We were on a two lane road with ample room on both sides so I think she was exaggerating.

On a State Lane (one each way) I passed six more guys who were driving at thirty five miles per hour like a herd of baby elephants. Pickup truck in the front was creeping along. The rest were timidly braking whenever anything appeared out of line, and even veered slightly away when oncoming traffic appeared.

I guess I could have waited and let my irritation keep me awake but I decided to take matters into my own hands.

As soon as I had a couple of miles of clear road I passed them. All six of them. At one clip.

Booked home at a nice comfortable speed, did not wreck, did not skid, did not have a slight bit of trouble. Only down side was that the window was stuck shut until I warmed it up - gonna have to grease it up or something.

I heard about over taking these poor timid souls the next day, all day. I must have been really out of it because I don't recall coming within "inches" of people while passing in the oncoming lane, certainly kept good driving distances and did not blast past them.

The consensus among most was that I was being a bit "reckless" but among some was that I had confidence, knew the limits of my gear and our six or so heroes were "embarrassed that you had more balls than them".

Panic will kill you. Nerve will save you. What's the big deal?

I think next time I'll just have to be a bit less brisk in the passing and pick a nicer place to pass. Probably an apple and some exercise before going home would keep me awake.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
So you passed six people?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
People who are not used to driving in the snow, or driving all the time in general tend to get a little paranoid when things are a little different.
I used to drive commercial truck for a long time, I'm used to bad weather and adverse road conditions. I usually drive my yaris like I normally would unless it's really icy.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
So you passed six people?
When they're doing 35 miles an hour, we're all going downhill and I have three miles of clear road in the incoming lane it's not a difficult task.

Gene
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lol @ measuring in decimeters!

good story

sounds like people out your way are just scared of snow...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
SailDesign

Drives: .
Some folks are too frikkin' scared in the snow. I wonder sometimes why they go out at all.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i say a person can drive the normal speed limit on this kind of weather..the only thing is ..cant slam brakes and cant accelerate too fast from stop,also compensates on other people whos scared shi% driving on the snow, cant makes sudden maneuvers...with all of these..kind to think of it hmmmm i guess a person cant drive fast on these weather..hmm what a waste of comment.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
GeneW
Banned

I figure that it's a combination of some extra boldness on my part, caused by lack of sleep and the need to stay awake, and those chickenpoop coworkers of mine. Gonna have to let them snail on for a while longer before passing next time.

Gene