Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #37
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Moving again? Or am I confused and you're just moving to the new place you already mentioned with that sweet garage...
Same place. Bought it January 15th and have been doing work on it since. Moving in finally in about 2 weeks.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #38
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Here are the dealer fees by State. Click on the link below and scroll down to find the chart of fees. (I'd simply paste the chart into a post, but I don't seem to be able to do that).

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...d-you-pay.html

you were right about the fees.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #39
Saintjmv04

Drives: 2019 Toyota Yaris
Dual system for Direct injection, 4.5/5 JD Power Reliability Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
This engine has direct injection, which can carbon up the intake valves. Also Mazda automatic transmissions are not as good as the Asin transmissions Toyota uses. You’re probably get good use out of the car, but it’s not a Toyota!
First off, you are partially correct regarding the direct injection system. It is a dual system... there are two injectors per cylinder, one above the valve and one directly in the cylinder. This design prevents carbon build up.

Also, the most recent Yaris Sedan based off the Mazda 2 platform is rated by JD Powers as a 4.5/5 star rating for reliability... I could argue other things, but this is just to touch the surface.

The yaris is an incredible value for what you get in terms of fit, finish, solid aftermarket support, fuel economy and descent engine power for day to day driving for those of us that don't race around trying to pass every car we can on the highway.
Saintjmv04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #40
Saintjmv04

Huge recall on CVT trans failing in the Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008RedHatch View Post
The new NG Corolla 2019 hatch, 2020 sedan, has a newer CVT with torque converter for starts.
Within the past week (Today is Sunday March 19, 2019) Toyota has a recall (not formally called this) on premature wear for their CVT transmissions in the Corolla. Prius has a different CVT containing a planetary gear set (unlike the metal belt in the Corolla) for their hybrid, which is the most reliable CVT in the industry.

...just something to be aware of. Traditional CVTs (metal belt driven) are still struggling to find their place and are still in the process of refinement in terms of performance and reliability.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #41
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
CVT's... ugh!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #42
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjmv04 View Post
First off, you are partially correct regarding the direct injection system. It is a dual system... there are two injectors per cylinder, one above the valve and one directly in the cylinder. This design prevents carbon build up.
The new 2019 Corolla hatch & upcoming 2020 Corolla sedan Dynamic Force Toyota engine uses a combo port/direct-injection design, but none of the Mazda Skyactiv engines do as far as I know. They are a straight GDI design, and that means that fuel/gasoline additives cannot clean 50% of what they need to keep clean in an engine to prevent carbon buildup.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #43
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
CVT's... ugh!
My thoughts exactly. I think if I was going to try a CVT in a regular car (a non-eCVT CVT), it would be the new in-house KIA forte design that uses a more robust metal chain driven design instead of a metal push-belt design. The KIA design is the first of its type to be implemented in smaller/lighter cars in the place of the flimsier push-belt design, & doesn't drive/feel like a push-belt CVT. Plus, the 2019+ KIA Forte doesn't use a GDI or Turbo engine (though the 2020 GT version will). If I don't go that route in 2020 with a Forte EX (or the non-GDI engine GT-Line trim), I will probably work on tracking down a low-mileage used 2018 Yaris SE hatch automatic (the last of the bulletproof 1NZ-FE Yari sold in the U.S.).
Old 03-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #44
Saintjmv04

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALISPEL II View Post
My thoughts exactly. I think if I was going to try a CVT in a regular car (a non-eCVT CVT), it would be the new in-house KIA forte design that uses a more robust metal chain driven design instead of a metal push-belt design. The KIA design is the first of its type to be implemented in smaller/lighter cars in the place of the flimsier push-belt design, & doesn't drive/feel like a push-belt CVT. Plus, the 2019+ KIA Forte doesn't use a GDI or Turbo engine (though the 2020 GT version will). If I don't go that route in 2020 with a Forte EX (or the non-GDI engine GT-Line trim), I will probably work on tracking down a low-mileage used 2018 Yaris SE hatch automatic (the last of the bulletproof 1NZ-FE Yari sold in the U.S.).
I noticed that with the Kias as well. I think they are great cars overall. I use to own a Forte 5 (hatchback) with DI. I looked at the new Fortes with CVT and came across the more robust belts used in my research. I think they may be worth considering. I hate autos with gears :-/ ... I never cared for how they feel with shifts as they age. I've always been a manual trans person, but after putting my body through high performance endurance activities and considering stop and go traffic daily, MT ended up not being a smart move on my part.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #45
KALISPEL II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintjmv04 View Post
I noticed that with the Kias as well. I think they are great cars overall. I use to own a Forte 5 (hatchback) with DI. I looked at the new Fortes with CVT and came across the more robust belts used in my research. I think they may be worth considering. I hate autos with gears :-/ ... I never cared for how they feel with shifts as they age. I've always been a manual trans person, but after putting my body through high performance endurance activities and considering stop and go traffic daily, MT ended up not being a smart move on my part.
I know the feeling. I've always enjoyed driving manual transmission cars, & have never owned automatic transmission vehicles in my 37 years of driving. My only experience with automatics is from driving the occasional rental car here & there over the years. I still enjoy driving my manual Yaris today for the most part, but I am not getting any younger, and the frustration of stop-and-go traffic, & every-increasing congested city driving, in general, is finally starting to take its toll on me. That is why I am looking to buy my first automatic with my next vehicle in 2020 or perhaps 2021. The thing is that I really don't want a low/random-lifespan, rubbery-feeling push-belt CVT automatic, a carbon-sludge prone straight-GDI engine, or high-stress turbo on my car, and that limits my choices to next to nothing really in the current new car market. So, either a lightly-used 2018 Yaris SE hatchback or 2020/21 KIA Forte EX or GT-Line (sedan or hatchback) are my current top choices for my first automatic vehicle.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #46
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I've driven many of the Hyundai/Kia vehicles, and I liked most of them. But, with all the problems (check out the forums), mass recalls for major issues, and horrific customer service, I wouldn't NEVER consider one right now... even for a short term lease.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote