Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #37
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I listened to the audio. I heard sounds that my car definitely doesn't make.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the power steering is all electric, therefore there is no fluid. I've looked under the hood of my car who knows how many times, and I've never seen a power steering fluid reservoir.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #38
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I believe that to be the electric power steering system. Both of the 16's I owned (one I bought brand new) and my 14 made that same noise especially when it's been cold as hell outside. I personally wouldn't worry about that.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #39
jowii

Drives: 2017 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Try it while parked with the engine running and again with the key in but the engine off. It will help you isolate if it is related the the EPs motor or not
Ok I'll try this again. I'm pretty sure I can't turn the wheel unless the engine is running. I did put the key in and turn it to the on position without starting, which allowed some play in the wheel, and although I couldn't turn it a great deal, I wasn't getting the sound when doing that. I'll double check.
jowii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #40
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I listened to the audio. I heard sounds that my car definitely doesn't make.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the power steering is all electric, therefore there is no fluid. I've looked under the hood of my car who knows how many times, and I've never seen a power steering fluid reservoir.
As far as I know, that is correct. Everything I've searched says that there is no power steering fluid for the Toyota EPS system. Others I've spoken to claim that there is fluid even for EPS systems, but I'm not sure if maybe other systems have it?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #41
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
I believe that to be the electric power steering system. Both of the 16's I owned (one I bought brand new) and my 14 made that same noise especially when it's been cold as hell outside. I personally wouldn't worry about that.
Thank you. That's good to hear. I still have an appointment to have it looked at along with some other things...so I'll still have them affirm that it's not an issue.

There certainly seems to be inconsistencies in the experiences of Yaris owners. And it would be nice for Toyota's main customer support to have it on hand that some noise could be normal (since it sort of defies the thinking and red flags of more familiar hydraulic systems, where any sound when steering is likely a problem).

It could just be the luck of the draw with economy cars that have EPS, such as, "Does your dashboard rattle?" Which by the way, the audio display in this Yaris starts to creak and pop once the car warms up and I'm not on a perfectly smooth road, but that's just an annoyance and not a concern. And maybe some folks just end up with quieter EPS components. Or maybe it is just a cold thing? And the other folks are in warmer weather?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #42
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Ok, so I tested my steering. I do not have the sounds that are audible in your audio clip. This certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong with yours.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #43
jowii

To any forum moderator: I was going to edit the title of this thread to be more inclusive to the issues being discussed, so if others experiencing some of the same things search or browse for it, they might be more likely to find it. But it seems I'm not able to change the title.

I was thinking of just naming it "rust on engine parts / sound of EPS steering"

Or I could also just create a new thread about steering, summarizing with a full report, once I have a conclusion. Whatever you think works best!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #44
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Ok, so I tested my steering. I do not have the sounds that are audible in your audio clip. This certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong with yours.
Yeah, I wonder if there's just an inconsistency. Karl above seems to happen upon it with every Yaris.

When did the Yaris start incorporating EPS? I also imagine that the system could have changed over the years with different, maybe even cheaper parts. Maybe even different assemblies with the components ending up in different places? I know this Yaris has most of the components in the steering column. I'm not sure about other years of the Yaris, but I do know now that some cars with EPS have the components closer to or on the axle.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #45
jowii

Ok so back to the motor mounts... Maybe my motor mounts are bad?

I've noticed a light clunk when shifting into reverse. It's subtle. Honestly I probably wouldn't give it a second thought if it wasn't a vehicle I was looking to buy. But everything has my attention now.

When I had someone else shift while I had the hood open to look at the engine, I noticed the engine moves quite a bit when shifting between park, reverse, and drive.

What is the normal behavior of the Yaris engine when shifting? Is it normal to see some movement?

Last edited by jowii; 01-20-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #46
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
My thoughts; you are getting way to inside your head about this. The Yaris makes noises, and they don't all exhibit identical characteristics.

EPS was introduced with the introduction of the Gen2, so depending on the market, model year 2006/07.

The motor mounts are somewhat sloppy and the engine will move considerably.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #47
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
My thoughts; you are getting way to inside your head about this. The Yaris makes noises, and they don't all exhibit identical characteristics.

EPS was introduced with the introduction of the Gen2, so depending on the market, model year 2006/07.

Thank you. Yeah, I'm in a holding pattern right now until the next steps of the buying process...the whole process has been a bit slow and now it's a holiday weekend. So I've just had more time with the vehicle to notice more things. But they're still things I would probably question even after the purchase and good to have knowledge of to be able to diagnose potential problems later. I appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #48
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
A low or at floor clutch disengagement is a Yaris thing when the system needs to be bled. (My pedal came up a little.)
Clunk and rocking engine at stopped shifts could be related...or it could be the no-reverse-gear-synchro thing. (and stiff first gear thing) Threads here on this.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #49
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
The squeak/rattle by the radio happened on both of my 2016's. Swapping in a bezel from a 12-14 will stop it or get some thin foam tape and put it around the bezel. The 12-14 bezels have some foam tape on them already.

Also, my wife's 2012, a 2013 I didn't have long, and my 2007 Yaris don't make the power steering noise really. Those are all Japanese built cars and the 14 and 16s were French made units so maybe that's why?
Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #50
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

Agreed. No way 2 year old factory motor mounts are bad. The stock mounts are doughy and meant for an economic box to be as quiet as possible. If you think about this too much it will drive you crazy. There will always be odd creaks and or noises on this caliber of car (as well as many others). Bottom line, as long as the oil changes were done properly on this yaris and the rust thing checks out then you have a stupid reliable car in your hands, creak squeaks and all
Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #51
jowii

Thanks, everybody!

Yeah the creaks I can certainly live with and they don't cause me anxiety.

It's the other mechanical stuff with the Yaris that I'm just not familiar with and want to be sure about.

Sometimes particular research can be less than helpful...when so many articles say that any sound from steering is pointing at an issue or or that bad motor mounts can be diagnosed by seeing the engine move considerable when shifting between reverse and park, etc... All of which don't account for EPS in an economy car and a car with only 2 motor mounts where many cars have 4...

So I'm happy to have found this place :)
Also the Toyota dealer I am going to has been very helpful to explain and verify these things with me as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #52
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Just curious, but how much are you paying for the Yaris? And how many miles does it have?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #53
jowii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Just curious, but how much are you paying for the Yaris? And how many miles does it have?
$9k and 36k miles
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #54
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Did this thread say where it was made?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote